2021 DECLUTTERFEST

Options
15678911»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,000 Member
    Options
    Do any of you, my Decluttering companions, ever have a flash of a fear that things will feel “empty” when you are done?

I think, for me, it’s an irrational fear, as both my husband & I have vastly preferred our current state. We still have things out & about - certainly not even close to a hotel or minimalist home.

I’m going to ignore that little voice, and carry on.

I would love to hear if you sometimes have that little voice, too.

I guess it explains why I’ve had to do this as multiple passes…
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have done this in multiple passes. My fear is that I will run out of energy before I run out of passes! I really do not want to leave it for my son. Mostly I don't remember much of what I give away and just love the organization and peace decluttering brings!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I have done this in multiple passes. My fear is that I will run out of energy before I run out of passes! I really do not want to leave it for my son. Mostly I don't remember much of what I give away and just love the organization and peace decluttering brings!

@Rosemarie2972
    This perfectly describes my experience, too..

“Mostly I don't remember much of what I give away and just love the organization and peace decluttering brings!”

Thank you!
    🌸Maddie
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,068 Member
    Options
    Do any of you, my Decluttering companions, ever have a flash of a fear that things will feel “empty” when you are done?

I think, for me, it’s an irrational fear, as both my husband & I have vastly preferred our current state. We still have things out & about - certainly not even close to a hotel or minimalist home.

I’m going to ignore that little voice, and carry on.

I would love to hear if you sometimes have that little voice, too.

I guess it explains why I’ve had to do this as multiple passes…

@MadisonMolly2017 My husband is a “nester” and I aspire to be a minimalist, so I think our home is “safe” from ever feeling empty. 😂😂🤣 Honestly - we’ve been opposite in this regard since 1988. The difference for me now is my active role in DOING something about my own (and our shared) things and not just complaining. And his realization that our daughter takes after him, and it would torture her to leave all this to her to deal with. ❤️

Today we are doing the boxing up of our things for the prison book drive. He has taken a third pass through his many books and I am thrilled that some will be leaving our home!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Decluttering sentimental is going great!

Minutes a day!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Deleting old work emails off an old laptop…

DELETED
    -17,000 SENT emails today.
    - 3,500 RECEIVED emails today

It was time.

Still to go..
    14,400 SENT
    6,500 (?) RECEIVED
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Plan: To tackle the linen closet. I let my husband put computer equipment in here years ago! Yes...into my Linen closet. Today this changes....can't wait to have a closet of towels, sheets, blankets, ect!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Update Sept 27

A. Current ❤️ Status - work emails
    10 RECEIVED
    <5,000 SENT

B. VHS:
    11 ready to be scanned
    5 important to be reviewed
    20 final review & discarded

40 ready to discard but I’m reviewing them all a 2nd time to make sure (as I didn’t realize rewinding could go on to a negative number.
    (Found 2 with priceless memories so far!!!)

C. Ordered slide & negative scanner. Should be here tomorrow.
    251 packages of 4x6 family photos
    Haven’t counted slide boxes yet LOL

D. Gathered all media in one room from our home.

I’ve worked on this a long time, and all of that work made this easier. Now, I’m doing the final pass & digitizing ALL!

Previous posts:
    Original
    SENT emails 32,000
    Received not sure

Set 15 DELETED

It was time.

Still to go..
    14,400 SENT
    6,500 (?) RECEIVED[/quote]

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I’m continuing to Declutter Sentimental daily.
    I’m able to do it now without getting “down.” Time does seem to help.

I only need to spend 10 minutes, but I often spend multiple hours. It’s time.

Currently, I’m
    ***clearing final 1,000 set work emails after deleting 30K+ EASY now that end is in sight. Good to do while in phone with friends.

*** culling photos from our computer - bad ones, duplicates, my work, etc. MEDIUM-a lot of decision making & takes multiple actions to delete, but I’ve removed 12K so far!!!!

*** going through printed photos of ours & my parents, completing earlier efforts to sort by year. EASY with many awesome “finds” & I’ve done quite a lot over the years. This time, I will finish.

I have found priceless treasures, which has actually made this job Very Fun (much to my surprise) as I called them my “I Don’t Wanna’s!”

Is anyone else Decluttering?

🌸Maddie
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,068 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 - I have been decluttering -but not in the scale you have been doing. Wow!

Books & Papers
    Did another pass through the print books and also cleared more shelves in the living room bookcases of local travel guides, maps, etc that will be too out of date by the time any planning resumes. Made it through all the user manuals and warranty files for all the large and small appliances and discarded a lot of papers. In addition, I have consolidated these files to one spot.

Our huge gardens & Yards
    Working in the garden has been taking a lot of time recently: planting many more perennials and shrubs, moving things around to better spots, and watering in all the new and moved daily. We are now getting the garden winter ready and the volume if fallen leaves is always overwhelming. I hired someone to help me as my husband’s mobility is limited right now as he injured his knee and is in physio.

Yarn de-stashing
    My yarn stash is now categorized and stored in clear snap cases by weight, documented with yardage/grams/photos on Ravelry, and some are even listed now as “open to sale or trade” as I will never live long enough to use it all. I am a knitter and have gone through my “works in progress” and prioritized getting some finished as holiday gifts. This took some time - but as choir is shut down (our COVID numbers here are astronomical), I now have one night a week free. I am still practicing at home and learning the works, but we can’t attend rehearsals now.

Home office is next and I am ready to continue on that after Thanksgiving (Canadian — this weekend).

Julie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 - I have been decluttering -but not in the scale you have been doing. Wow!

Books & Papers
    Did another pass through the print books and also cleared more shelves in the living room bookcases of local travel guides, maps, etc that will be too out of date by the time any planning resumes. Made it through all the user manuals and warranty files for all the large and small appliances and discarded a lot of papers. In addition, I have consolidated these files to one spot.

Our huge gardens & Yards
    Working in the garden has been taking a lot of time recently: planting many more perennials and shrubs, moving things around to better spots, and watering in all the new and moved daily. We are now getting the garden winter ready and the volume if fallen leaves is always overwhelming. I hired someone to help me as my husband’s mobility is limited right now as he injured his knee and is in physio.

Yarn de-stashing
    My yarn stash is now categorized and stored in clear snap cases by weight, documented with yardage/grams/photos on Ravelry, and some are even listed now as “open to sale or trade” as I will never live long enough to use it all. I am a knitter and have gone through my “works in progress” and prioritized getting some finished as holiday gifts. This took some time - but as choir is shut down (our COVID numbers here are astronomical), I now have one night a week free. I am still practicing at home and learning the works, but we can’t attend rehearsals now.

Home office is next and I am ready to continue on that after Thanksgiving (Canadian — this weekend).

Julie

Hi Julie!
    Great work! I am doing quite a bit now to keep The momentum going, but I’ve had lots of times in the past when I did it sporadically- the place still got decluttered!!!

I’m very sad to hear re: rehearsals & COVID, but glad you still get to sing!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you & your fellow Canadians!!

I’ll look forward to hearing your home office progress! That was a real life changer for me!

Best,
    🌸Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Oct 8 Sentmental Decluttering Day 88

Detangled cords, chargers etc & wrapped with rubber bands/twist ties 20 mins.
    FOuND a very old priceless family tape reel AND the player!!! ❤️❤️❤️ That my Dad thought was “somewhere in his house or storage unit. Boy, is he gonna be pleased!!!!!!!!!

Deleted 400 photos from computer. Over 13,000 deleted so far.

Spent 1 hr organizing print photos by year & looking at some photos from long ago

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,120 Member
    Options

DELETED

It was time.

Still to go..
    14,400 SENT
    6,500 (?) RECEIVED

Sometimes I wish there was some way of deleting all old email with one button.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

DELETED

It was time.

Still to go..
    14,400 SENT
    6,500 (?) RECEIVED

Sometimes I wish there was some way of deleting all old email with one button.

@TerriRichardson112
    Haha! Oh there is! “Select ALL” & theme delete!! But some are useful/precious!

I’m down to 68 total now plus some folders that I’m transferring to main computer. A big job, but I’m pleased to almost be done with that & the sorting of all our printed photos 😳

Today was Day 💯 consecutive days spent on Sentimental (photos & memorabilia).
    Going for another 💯.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,120 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017
    Yes, but you have to trawl through so much dross to find the gold 😂

And they’re still out there in the ether of the mail servers.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Making significant progress with laptop deletions & transfers.

And with sorting all print photos by month/year.

I think I should have both done in the next week or two.

# 108 of Consecutive Days on Sentimental Items (Final Pass)

Also tidied my art studio - much more inviting now ❣️