2021 DECLUTTERFEST

Options
MadisonMolly2017
MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
edited July 2021 in Social Groups
❤️2021 DECLUTTERFEST Challenge❤️

Please post your plan for your decluttering & give us updates as you proceed!

Think of it as SUPER Spring Cleaning 🧹 🧽 over a YEAR!!! 🤣😂🤣😂

Marie Kondo, Flylady, room-by-room, category by category, 15 minutes a day, 27 thing fling boogie ... whatever works for you!

Detailed day by day plan for the month or do what “calls you” each day?

Tracker or no tracker?

All of these methods work!

July 1 UPDATE: We’ve got half the year left! Perhaps you’d like to Declutter a little each day or do a monthly or weekly burst. You get to decide, but we all agree that keeping what we love & Decluttering the rest NOURISHES us & helps us “Create the LIFE we always DREAMED of”!!!!❤️

BEFORE:
ifl61merrpiu.jpeg

AFTER
ewm95o4crr75.jpeg

Before
pq2k6c639pz6.jpeg

After:
hiw4950zhgsj.jpeg

Before
eapxa4iy1gd3.jpeg

After
xgmfwymhk16h.jpeg

Be SURE to take some BEFORE photos!! (You don’t have to share them, but you will LOVE looking art them March 1st!!)

What’s your approach going to be?

Have Fun!

🌸Maddie & Denise🌷

Photos from Unsplash

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    The desk above inspired me to take a before pic of my “work” table. Oh my! Still looks the same but now I know what I’m dealing with...pens, pencils, cup, thermos, paper notebooks, sticky notes, headphones, napkins, my special”I did it” jar.... and so much more. All needed, but kind of a jumbled up disaster. It would be nice to come into the room in the morning to a neat area.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Please head to Challenges & look for this post. We’d love to have your thoughts there!

It looks like this:
    8kk53y33vm8k.png
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I jump-started this because I am so excited! So far I've 1) broken down all the boxes that were taking up space upstairs and are moving them flattened to the basement. I will be selling on eBay and hate to throw them away until I know what I need. 2) sorted Barbie dolls and clothes, Barbie Kitchen, car, and accessories and put them in the basement. My girls have outgrown them, I'm sure, and we can always bring them back up if they want them. 3) Today I will go through all of the kids' craft supplies and organize their bookshelf. I should get busy :o:)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I jump-started this because I am so excited! So far I've 1) broken down all the boxes that were taking up space upstairs and are moving them flattened to the basement. I will be selling on eBay and hate to throw them away until I know what I need. 2) sorted Barbie dolls and clothes, Barbie Kitchen, car, and accessories and put them in the basement. My girls have outgrown them, I'm sure, and we can always bring them back up if they want them. 3) Today I will go through all of the kids' craft supplies and organize their bookshelf. I should get busy :o:)

@nebslp
    WhoooHoooooo 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Ride that 🌊!!!
    🏄🏻‍♀️

I LOVE your post❣️
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    Options
    Hot Spots
    Parents Estates File
    Photo Box
    Bedroom bookshelf
    Sewing drawers

Today I worked on the Estate File.
  • 77tes
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Hot Spots
    Parents Estates File
    Photo Box
    Bedroom bookshelf
    Sewing drawers

Today I worked on the Estate File.

35wh46p4t6we.jpeg

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I posted this in the old thread. Ooops! Thank you @MadisonMolly2017 for all your tips!

=================================================
    1/31/2017

February's declutterfest starts tomorrow! I am so excited! I need to do this SO BAD!

Do you find it works best to set a goal of WHERE or WHAT you plan to declutter, or does it work better to have a goal of how long you plan to declutter each day? Or do you actually schedule what to work on, and which days to do it? I obviously need to freshen up on my organizational skills!

My plan at this time is to spend 15+ minutes/day decluttering the following areas, going down the list item by item:
    • Desktop
    • File Drawers
    • Tupperware cupboard
    • Cookbook shelf
    • Bedroom closet shelves
    • Magazines upstairs
    • Sewing supplies in sewing space
    • Magazines in sewing space
    • Crap on the shelves of bar downstairs
    • Download photos from FB to iCloud
    • Clean up HP laptop and back up on external drive
    • Clean up Lenova and back up on external drive
    • Digital declutter photos
    • Digital declutter documents

2f1x17l11egz.png
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    BTW, that is NOT my house in the photo above....just grabbed it off the internet. ;)

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 thanks for starting us off for our SPRING 2021 DECLUTTERFEST!
    Excellent introduction!

@nebslp it was fun seeing you jumping right into the thick of things before February! You accomplished a lot!!

@77tes What a good plan of which things that you are going to take care of, and also a good start to your declutterfest already!! Well done!! Thanks for sharing the photo.

@PackerFanInGB Wow!! You definitely have a very clear and specific plan of what you are going to do this month! I admire that. I'm not good at looking at things in that way. I probably would get more done if I could identify specifics within a given room and organize those in a doable list. I have tried, but I get bogged down especially in the planning, and then other little things that distract me from what I really need to accomplish. Lol about the picture... I was wondering about that because of the elementary home school posters on the wall 👀.

Earlier today I first straightened up the top shelf of the pantry which was decluttered and straightened up the previous two years and was still in good shape, as it is basically storage for a few things. I decided on a whim to change what I was doing with most of the disposable paper goods/cutlery up there. I wasn't planning to work in the pantry this time around, but when one unexpectedly gets an idea... 💡.... 😁.
    However, I was proud of myself at actually stopping with just that one shelf as I had decided yesterday that today needed to be a start in the Master Bathroom. The rest of the pantry is still in good shape and doesn't need a declutter/ tidy at this time, but I could find myself doing it anyway if I allowed myself to get that distracted. It has happened before 🤣, and I already started to look at the next shelf down 🤷‍♀️.

I began the declutter/ tidy up under the Master Bathroom's sink. I first cleaned the entire area and then rearranged a few things while putting them back, and tossed a thing or two. I moved some things to the Hall bathroom and put some other things under the this sink now that there was more room. I then wiped down the medicine cabinet. Tossed 3 items, rearranged a few others.
    After that I began the planned spring cleaning deep cleaning of this bathroom. Spring comes early here 🌼 and when it actually comes I really want to be in the yard/ garden.

I have no actual 'laid out plan' at this moment, but I do know that there are some areas/ rooms that I definitely plan to get to this month. For the immediate next few days I will continue in the Master Bathroom, possibly tandem cleaning or tidying/ decluttering in the Hall Bathroom if it makes sense to me.

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thank you @texasgardnr & @PackerFanInGB for you appreciation & glad I could help :)

@nebslp How’s it going? 😘

Sounds like many in our group will be doing at least some decluttering here or there!

Maddie 🎉
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Feb 1: moved various things to where they belonged in art studio & from front entry

Feb 2:
    * Emptied, decluttered, cleaned, and then organized drawers in bathroom.
    * Tossed/recycled old packaging, instruction booklets, way out of date makeup, stuff I never use. Went through my travel items to make sure none needed replacement.
    * Consolidated bandaids, alcohol wipes, etc. recycled unnecessary extra packaging in medical drawer.
    * Went through shelves under my sink, tossing things, putting misc items where they belong, etc.
    * Made all drawers & shelves spacious (so when we take one, the rest don’t fall like a house of cards

Insight: Everything has stayed remarkably clean & organized. There are still a few things here & there I should toss, but I love them, so I kept them again.

Future Plan:
    Feb 3 & 4: counting Feb 2 towards those days. Took over an hour :)

Feb 5: Will be the last two drawers & folding all the towels 😆

Feb 6: On to our bedroom & then our closet...
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Well done today and a good future plan!

February 2: I have one drawer under the counter on the left side of the sink. I have 5 smaller dollar store plastic containers about 6.5x8.5x2.5 that fit perfectly together in that drawer. I cleaned the drawer and washed the containers. I then replaced what belonged into each one.

There was nothing that needed replacing like new toothpaste, or anything to toss this time. I also did the same with the first shelf in the 'linen' cupboard. In there I cleaned the first shelf and also washed the one container. I folded the clean towels and put them away. I tidied the several bath products in the container.

The Master bathroom linen cupboard shelves and vanity drawer were also decluttered during a previous declutterfests, so all was still ok so far. I'm not so sure about the next two shelves in the 'linen cupboard'. They tend to get cluttered more easily when I purchase new products like shampoo etc. Both of those shelves and the space beneath the linen cupboard are going to get finished this week.

On a side note: drawers have been so much easier to maintain since I learned to corral like items with like items a number of years ago. I use these, or other sized plastic dollar store containers in certain drawers and on cupboard shelves around the house for that purpose. They are not essentially beautiful, but they do the job well for me. And they are not seen unless I go into the drawer, but then I hardly notice them because the items are more visible and neat (usually 🤪).

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Well done today and a good future plan!

February 2: I have one drawer under the counter on the left side of the sink. I have 5 smaller dollar store plastic containers about 6.5x8.5x2.5 that fit perfectly together in that drawer. I cleaned the drawer and washed the containers. I then replaced what belonged into each one.

There was nothing that needed replacing like new toothpaste, or anything to toss this time. I also did the same with the first shelf in the 'linen' cupboard. In there I cleaned the first shelf and also washed the one container. I folded the clean towels and put them away. I tidied the several bath products in the container.

The Master bathroom linen cupboard shelves and vanity drawer were also decluttered during a previous declutterfests, so all was still ok so far. I'm not so sure about the next two shelves in the 'linen cupboard'. They tend to get cluttered more easily when I purchase new products like shampoo etc. Both of those shelves and the space beneath the linen cupboard are going to get finished this week.

On a side note: drawers have been so much easier to maintain since I learned to corral like items with like items a number of years ago. I use these, or other sized plastic dollar store containers in certain drawers and on cupboard shelves around the house for that purpose. They are not essentially beautiful, but they do the job well for me. And they are not seen unless I go into the drawer, but then I hardly notice them because the items are more visible and neat (usually 🤪).

🤠🌺

Well done to you as well @texasgardnr ❣️

Agree with all you wrote!

I am re-using plastic containers & various boxes that I cut down to just under height of the drawer. I’m continuing this until we have “used up” older supplies. Then we’ll decide what we want to have available & how much, if any, as a back up supply.

For example: our band-aid supply now fits in 1 box instead of sprawling thru the drawer.

Another example: I’ve streamlined my make-up. And once I use up the various bits of lotion, I will just use one.

I look forward to continuing to hear s as sl of your great ideas❣️
  • 77tes
    Options
    Estate file is empty! Finished it yesterday! On to the photo box today.

0ukjlbf2tbm8.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Estate file is empty! Finished it yesterday! On to the photo box today.

0ukjlbf2tbm8.jpeg

WhoooHooo @77tes❣️
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Way to go! @77tes 👍👏.

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    edited February 2021
    Options
    February 2: Today was the 2nd and 3rd shelves in the 'linen cupboard'. These shelves are the home for items like shampoo/ conditioners, bath items, the pretty container for Q-Tips, candles, lotions and so on. First I cleaned both shelves, and then rearranged a few things while putting everything back. Sometimes just doing that will help me to notice items that I had forgotten to use. I also tossed a few things that I no longer wanted any more.

Tomorrow will be the space beneath the 'linen' cupboard. It is a larger space that was apparently set up to fit a clothes hamper in there, with a small door that swings down from the top of the space to drop clothes into the hamper. I never used it for that reason as I keep the hampers elsewhere. So I installed a paper towel holder on this swing down door to be convenient when I am cleaning in the area. Beneath that is another cupboard door to the large space.
    This is where I stash extras or other items for the bathroom. Drawers and shelves would be difficult to use since the bottom of this space is the actual floor. What ends up in there changes over the years. For instance, there are no longer toddler bath toys living there.
    So tomorrow I'm only going to check if I need to declutter anything. Otherwise I'm not going to change anything. It is still functions well enough at this time, and it was about 6 months ago that I had made a second pass through in there. After that is finished I plan to finish cleaning the bathroom. So that's my plan for tomorrow.

🤠🌺 see y'all tomorrow!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    February 4: Today was the space beneath the 'linen' cupboard as described in my post above. I washed the plastic containers and boxes and vacuumed the floor in the space. I decluttered some outdated nail care products and several other things that I no longer use or wanted. I rearranged how I put the containers/ boxes back in. Someday when I do another pass through I'll evaluate whether I like this arrangement or what I used to use.

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    February 4: Today was the space beneath the 'linen' cupboard as described in my post above. I washed the plastic containers and boxes and vacuumed the floor in the space. I decluttered some outdated nail care products and several other things that I no longer use or wanted. I rearranged how I put the containers/ boxes back in. Someday when I do another pass through I'll evaluate whether I like this arrangement or what I used to use.

🤠🌺

@texasgardnr It sure is a fun, satisfying, creative activity💞
  • 77tes
    Options
    Finished the photo box yesterday. Today I start on the bookshelf of chaos!
    Photo box before

74j06tzpa43t.jpeg

Photo box pile o’junk

vegcpr7ltum1.jpeg

Finished Photo Box

ljtpv76tfnnu.jpeg