February Check In

Options
ridiculous59
ridiculous59 Posts: 2,834 Member
I've been at this a long time and I always play a little game with myself after the holidays....I don't step on the scale till February 1st. I slack off over Christmas and then buckle down in January. All things considered, this was a very different holiday and one of the few pre-Christmas activities that was still available that I enjoy was baking. So guess what I did all December. Except we didn't have company to share it with, we didn't visit anyone to share it with, and places where I'd normally drop off a plate (like the office where I used to work), weren't accepting treats this year. So my husband and I ate it. And then ate some more.😭

But after a very strong January, I ended up with a net holiday gain of three pounds. And I'm okay with that. I'm back on track and optimistic that I'll get back to my maintenance weight sooner rather than later. Its a good feeling 🙂

How was your January?

Replies

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Like you, I’m okay with my gain of 3 pounds and started today getting back on track! I got a little cocky after reaching my goal weight of 135, then got to 114, then settled at around 117 right before the holidays. Today I was 120.0.

So all in all I’m happy, and will try for a new goal of 115. Fingers crossed!!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I've been hovering between the same 3 pounds since Christmas. Time to bust this plateau.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Roller-coastered in weight a good bit between mid-November (birthday, Thanksgiving) and the end of year holidays, I think more fluctuations than actual fat, but now I'm back pretty close to where I was in early November (125ish pounds) so not too stressed about it.

The bigger issue is activity. I always slack off a bit in Winter (have for around 15 years), and this is usually about the low point. I've been doing a little machine rowing, getting a few minutes of yoga back into my morning routine, but no kind of consistent schedule going on, so I need to work on that. 🤷‍♀️
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just joining this group. Need help and motivation to start seeing the scale move downward more. I’m 50 and it’s been a slow go to get seven pounds off since I joined the gym the beginning of December. I would like to be twenty to thirty pounds lighter to be healthier and able to keep up with my kids and grands.
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I guess I’m being inpatient. 😉 I see others losing more than me doing less than I’m doing so I’m feeling defeated but I’m not giving up. Been here too long. Too much time invested in this and me and my health. I enjoy going to the gym each day. It’s a destresser from work and life. Going to do a better job logging what I eat. Thanks for responding. Appreciate the feedback
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    WThyme wrote: »
    January was not the month I'd hoped for in terms of weight loss. However, I did finally get my house ready to put on the market to sell. It was sold the weekend it when on the market for above asking price! February is finally seeing the weight number go down. :)
    ...and now to figure out where I want to live... :o

Wow! That's fantastic about the selling of your home. I hope the closing is swift and easy. I'm a realtor so I love hearing stories like this.

I have had several clients sell and then rent for a year before deciding on a new town or neighborhood. You lose the tax deductions but sometimes it gives you time to find out what you really want. And eliminates the stress of finding the right one if you're in a time crunch.
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    Hula4Life wrote: »
    I’m still logging in almost every day since Jan 1. I’ve had a few bad days where I ate and drank too much and couldn’t face the music. My weight loss has stalled a bit. I definitely have lost some determination since Jan 1. 😕

A tool that really helps me is looking at my average calories per day over the whole week. For example, Friday is pizza and wine night at my house. I make my own pizza so the calories aren't outrageous, but still, when you add in a couple of glasses of wine, I'm usually over my calories. However, if I skip breakfast the next morning and maybe on Sunday too, I'm right back on track and my average per day for the week is on point. Some people recommend just getting back to your regular plan after a "rough" day. Other people bank calories ahead of time (if they know that something special is planned), but right now I'm finding that my way works best for me.

Don't let a couple of bad days defeat you. You're here. You're logging most days. You know what you need to do. Look at the big picture, not just the one or two rough days. You can do it ♥️

• WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This year, I'm working hard to create new habits in addition to reaching my goal weight. Went through quite a few life changes during the past year and packed on what I'll just call coping pounds. I feel like I've emerge from the dark clouds and can start back down a better path. I'm amazed, though, at how difficult it can be to change ingrained habits. But that is what I'm doing! I've worked on the same habits daily for many months now and more and more of them are starting to stick. My food cravings are finally getting back under control as I've gotten back to a more "whole food" lifestyle. Sleep is also better as I've made it a priority and I'm also having to deal less and less with the X-husband. B)

February Monday Update:
    Cravings better.
    Sleep improved.
    Weight starting to go down.
    More choices becoming habits.
    More habits becoming lifestyle.

Now to find a new house/place to live.
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Wow! That's fantastic about the selling of your home. I hope the closing is swift and easy. I'm a realtor so I love hearing stories like this.

I have had several clients sell and then rent for a year before deciding on a new town or neighborhood. You lose the tax deductions but sometimes it gives you time to find out what you really want. And eliminates the stress of finding the right one if you're in a time crunch.

I had hoped to avoid paying monthly rent and moving twice. However, in this market, your reminder of that option may be a less stressful way to go. This week I'm looking to find out when the closing date will be. I'm also looking at temporary living options. Once we've closed, I will have cash in hand to purchase the next house (determined to stay within this budget) and in this market and in my price range, that should be helpful with houses selling as soon as they are listed. Crazy times! :o
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hula4Life wrote: »
    I’m still logging in almost every day since Jan 1. I’ve had a few bad days where I ate and drank too much and couldn’t face the music. My weight loss has stalled a bit. I definitely have lost some determination since Jan 1. 😕

Wow..... this sounds soooooo like me. I do well for a few weeks, and then BAM!!! I get side tracked. I even rejoined WW thinking it was time to get back on that train, but NOPE.... I don’t know if it’s the time of year, my age or whatever... it seems to me anyway, that “The number” isn’t as important anymore....
    What’s important is Making better choices.... every day, and finally enjoying myself along the way. And.... trying to be diligent with my tracking.... Excuse my rambling.....
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    Only one week left in February. Hard to believe!! I'm getting in lots of exercise, despite having a cold snap mid-month with temps in the -30'sC 🥶 The dogs make me get outside every day so that's a bonus for both my physical and mental health. They enjoy it so much that I can't help but smile 🙂 I'm trying to lower my carbs to the 60-80g range. I find that the more carbs I eat, the more I crave them. Sometimes with disastrous consequences! 60-80 seems to be about my sweet spot though.

How's your month going?
  • TaosLiz
    TaosLiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello ridiculous59! Congratulations on getting in lots of exercise this month! I can relate to the more carbs I eat the more I crave them and the winter makes it even harder when either I mentally or physically crave them.
    My Feb. Update:
    I am new, having joined on Feb 9th and with the MFP food calculator I have currently lost 5 pounds. I had decided to just focus on my food intake and combinations for February and logging in daily. I did not want to get overwhelmed with trying to do everything at once in order to build a strong knowledge based foundation. My focus has been on learning to create a healthy relationship with food and the ability to balance of cal. carbs, fats. sugars. sodium, etc. Which MFP makes this a simple process.
    Marth 1st will be the second phase by adding daily movement/exercise/stretching and logging my progress each day.
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    Good job TaosLiz! When I first started my weight loss journey I treated it like a part time job. I read everything I could (tossing out the stuff that I knew intuitively was wrong and keeping the stuff that made sense), did food prep on Sundays (I was still working at the time), and exercising at least three or four times a week. It was a system that worked well for me at that stage. You're right.....MFP makes this a simple process. Which doesn't mean is easy though LOL I like how you have a timeline for your changes :)
  • TaosLiz
    TaosLiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love your approach ridiculous59ridiculous59, to treat this like a part-time job! It is so great to hear about your journey and your approach; it is very inspiring. I have been doing the same thing bout researching a lot of materials and dismissing what does not apply.
    And I just finished my first week of meal prep using a lot of the Beachbody 21 Day Reset recipes. I don't belong to BB but my daughter gave me the book. It is so great to hear about your journey and your approach; it is very inspiriting.
    And using Instacart for my shopping makes it much easier and keeps me from doing any kind of Impulsive buying.
    I just joined the MFP group Ultimate Accountability Challenge March 2021 for extra inspiration and support in adding my training (exercise).
    Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and approach.
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new to this group. All of you are an inspiration and I really like reading about the different approaches. I somehow lost 4 pounds over the holidays. I think my emotional state during the holidays may have contributed. It was our first holiday season without my DH.
    I came back to MFP after a MFP reached out to me. Gotta love this site!! Anyway, since coming back I have lost 3.5 more lbs. I am also a reader. I am always looking for advice on eating healthy and fitness. Like you, ridiculous59, I toss the stuff that I know I will never use and keep the information that I find helpful. I may not incorporate all of my helpful info now, but I might later as my journey progresses.