Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2. (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Missing Tools and Skills

Weight loss and successful weight management require a set of skills and useful tools. Are you aware of any weak skills or missing tools in your toolbox? If so, what are you doing about it?

Replies

• whathapnd
    Options
    I'm still not good at having snacks in the house and not over-indulging in one sitting. It's generally not a problem as we don't keep a lot of snacks around. However, I wouldn't mind having a regular-sized bag of potato chips on hand most times and feeling like I could portion out an ounce and be done. I'm not there yet and wonder if I ever will be.

So it strikes me that acquiring the "reasonable snack portion skill," like most things related to weight loss, just takes making a plan and committing to working it. I've been experimenting with making peanut butter and ice cream last a long time.

I'm going to need a lot more practice before a regular bag of potato chips get introduced.

For now, I've acknowledged the deficiency and made a plan to work on developing it.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,798 Member
    Options
    I’m missing an effective “I’m full” indicator.

Ron White jokes that his wife doesn’t use a timer for her cooking, but relies on the smoke detector instead - and “Honey, the food is done before that particular timer goes off.” Similarly, I don’t have an effective gauge for “enough” other than the fact that there’s no more of an item left. I avoid pizza and Chinese food (if it’s still politically correct to call it that), sweets like cookies and brownies, etc. I know I’m done when the food is gone.

There are some things I can keep in the house and have a measured portion - almonds, Chex Mix, or even chips. However, for some of the foods above, avoidance is the only tool in my toolkit. I’d like to think I could make a plan to deal with that and commit to working it. However, I've got an assumption that the first step to dealing with it is making an appointment with a psychologist. That’s a can of worms I’m not prepared to open at this point in my life.
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Regarding snacks, I have found it effective to get the multipacks of 1 oz bags. A little pricey, but it keeps my consumption down.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    newmantjn wrote: »
    Regarding snacks, I have found it effective to get the multipacks of 1 oz bags. A little pricey, but it keeps my consumption down.

I thought that would help me too. But it ended up just being more guilt-ridden trips to the pantry and tiny empty bags. But some day . . .
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    newmantjn wrote: »

I've found that really useful! I had some left from feeding delivery people during the pre Xmas season and had no problem eating just 1 bag. Yes it's more per ounce, but since I also struggle to eat a proper portion from a big bag, it is NOT more per serving for me!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    I bought 6 boxes or the WW Nacho chips three or four of months ago, and still have one box still sealed, and 2 bags in the other. Knowing I have these 2 SP snack at hand helps. I did portion out a container of almonds once, but.....
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    This is the short way out of going into a long post about this topic.

What everybody posted above are also issues I'm dealing with