Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2. (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Currently, where does the bulk of your weight loss time or attention get directed? Is the thing your're currently spending the most time on, the thing that normally gets the most time/attention? Explain.

Replies

• whathapnd
    Options
    I'm spending more time focusing on macros than I normaly do. I've mentioned that I struggle with sleep, and in doing some reading, I decided to try upping my protein and watching added sugar. There might be a placebo effect, but I seem to get sleepy earlier than I did previously and sleep more deeply. For now, I'm sticking with it.

I normally spend the bulk of my time on meal planning. My new focus actually makes meal planning a bit easier as my meals are even more straightforward.
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've recently retired and now I do the bulk of the shopping and cooking, so I get to pick what we eat - no excuses anymore.

As such, I am focusing on keeping the pantry empty of chips, cookies, sweets etc., and/or making sure that the aforementioned foods are only available in single serving sizes. (If you want to have 10 servings, fine, you'll be opening 10 bags of chips).

My meals are focusing on lean meat, and plain veggies. Last night we had chili with black beans, and corn. I made corn muffins (which are not particularly "good", but better than corn chips).

My go-to lean proteins are::
    96% lean ground beef
    Pork Loin
    Chicken Breasts
    Sirloin Steaks (Cosco)
    Maybe a Chicken/Apple sausage
    Cosco Beef snack sticks
    eggs

I tend to wing it for what we are actually having and will often run to the store for 5 minutes get a necessary ingredient.
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dinner;
    Pork Loin, 9.5 oz 285 CAL
    Uncle Ben's - Long Grain & Wild Rice (Original Recipe), 1 cup cooked 200 CAL
    Green bean, 2 cup 62 CAL
    Kroger - Mediterranean Chopped Salad Kit, 1.5 Cup 210 CAL
    Add Food Quick Tools 757 cal 68g protein
    223 g protein for the day
    It is really hard to hit my protein numbers. I shoot for 225-250
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,798 Member
    Options
    Huh - I don’t know if I have a focus. So much of this stuff has become routine that there’s not as much thought. To the extent there’s a focus, it’s on deciding how I’m going to stay within my daily points or my healthy eating range for the day. In other words, I need to know what’s for dinner when I decide what to have for lunch. What I have for dinner also drives what I can snack on, so a low point dinner may be worth a beer and a half cup of Chex mix.

But breakfast every day is homemade muesli (strawberries, Greek yogurt, and Fiber One mixed) and a cup of Kona as a chaser. Lunch is a sliced turkey on wheat with FF cheese and low-fat Mayo. Dinner is more varied, but there’s still a routine. Tuesday is hot dogs for a smaller and consistent meal the night before weigh-in. Wednesday is take-out fish, followed by taking out the trash for pickup Thursday so the house doesn’t smell of fish. Friday tends to be takeout Italian, because each entree is good for two meals - which takes care of Saturday. Sunday, Monday and Thursday are completely spontaneous - as long as we've thawed a precooked meal. (My wife says I’m in a rut; I say I’ve just got a very deep groove on.)

I guess maybe the most time that I spend is on exercise. That’s between thirty and sixty minutes every day. I tend to discount it because nowadays exercise is just the price for being able to walk.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    newmantjn wrote: »
    It is really hard to hit my protein numbers. I shoot for 225-250

OMG, I struggle to consistently hit 100g of protein without adding a shake, and I don't like to have one every day. Some would say I should be getting about 140g.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I am not to the point of macros, yet My sole concern is portion control, which I seem to have forgotten how to do. I eat what I normally eat, which is naturally very much in alignment with the WW Core guidelines.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm focusing on getting back on track. I'm getting some healthy, low point, satisfying foods in the frig (I made a yummy creamy chicken soup yesterday that I will definitely make again). Also working on getting back to exercising by starting with moving each hour. And struggling to avoid snacking.

@newmantjn really got me when he said, "I do the bulk of the shopping and cooking, so I get to pick what we eat - no excuses anymore.

As such, I am focusing on keeping the pantry empty of chips, cookies, sweets etc., and/or making sure that the aforementioned foods are only available in single serving sizes."

I do well keeping sweets out of the house (except DH's dark chocolate that isn't a problem for me, one piece occasionally is good), but salty snacks! I need to go back to just 1 bag a week of something DH likes! It's so dumb that I'm making myself struggle in my own house 🤦 Thanks for the KITA! Much appreciated!