What are your most helpful habits that inspire you on this journey of health & fitness?

TaosLiz
TaosLiz Posts: 54 Member
Being new here, I would love to hear from those who have been on this journey for a while, about what inspiration and knowledge you have discovered on your journey to support your efforts. Any inspirations or daily habits beyond logging in daily and joining this group, for staying committed to restoring and or maintaining your health and fitness journey?

Replies

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,341 Member
    Great question. In no particular order -

1) I’m a data person, so my Fitbit has become my best friend. I compete with myself - and know my daily targets, so the device keeps me accountable and active.

2) I have maybe two mfp friends who I’ve been communicating with for years. I’m already relatively lean but these friends are also - so they understand the struggle. They will rein me in with I need it - too many empty calories, too strict on myself, sharing new programs, unrealistic goals - anything!

3) pick the exercise I like - it won’t feel like exercise.

4) don’t stress the daily weigh in numbers. It’s the trend that counts.

5) I have a goal dress and jeans - I try these on weekly.

6) sometimes my cravings and hunger are just thirst.

What I need to work on is my mental and emotional health. Fitting in my jeans and seeing a tricep muscle ain’t all that if I’m having daily anxiety attacks!! But that’s another post -😜😜 full time eldercare responsibilities take a toll!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Two things that have helped me is pre planning my meals. It try plan my meals out for the week. Sometimes I even put the whole day into MFP diary in the morning to kinda hold me accountable for the day.
    Another thing is a gratitude journal I have a personal one that I try to write in daily. I have one now that is 40 Days (lent) of Gratitude I found it on a blog and it give you suggestions to write in daily. For example today was list somethings that you need to do more in your life.
    I think sometimes just writing it down helps. I have some personal things I am working on. Somethings are hard though now since the pandemic is in play.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,432 Member
    I initially got a lot of motivation and information from a podcast called The Weightloss Podcast as well as one called The Happy Menopause. The Happy Menopause podcast really helped me change my mindset about Menopause and helped me learn how to navigate it healthily.
    Next I started daily yoga practice which has helped tremendously with stress and avoiding stress eating.
  • TaosLiz
    Thank you CeeBeeSlim, Sarah7591, and tmbg1 for responding and for offering Inspirational information! I will take to heart all that you have shared.
  • salvagedlife
    salvagedlife Posts: 9 Member
    This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it TaosLiz! I found a Gratitude Journal on Amazon that I enjoy. It's called Morning Mindset (although it could be done at any point in your day) Each day has an inspirational quote. The idea is to start your day with positive thinking to carry you through the day. You do this by choosing a word, writing a short statement about how you feel at the moment, list up to 3 things your are grateful for, why is today worth waking up for, what did you do for your growth yesterday, what didn't work for you yesterday and up to 4 daily goals. It takes about 5 minutes and it's something I look forward to doing with my morning coffee. A weekly check in is included. It will carry you through 13 weeks. Sometimes I will open it before going to bed and make notes about the day on the page with the quote.
  • TaosLiz
    Thank you salvagedlife! An attitude of Gratitude is sooooo important and it is a wonderful way to begin the day! And I love that you end your day reflecting on your day. Thank you again for sharing!
  • TaosLiz
    Thank you ridiculous59! and I have no regrets at all for asking, you have packed your answer with inspiration information. And WOW 8 years, that is amazing. Congratulations!
    And yes like you, I have not intention of growing old before my time especially when my grandmothers lived to be over 100. And I want flexibility/agility, stamina, strength and endurance. I happy amazing life of travel, dancing, activity, and a long healthy life to be able to enjoy my friends and family.
    Thank you again for sharing!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    @ridiculous59 I will see if my library has any of these books. Thanks for the recommendation.

I too am motivated by others, some are my friends who are my age (59) or a few years older than me and have just given up saying its too late. They look and act old. No no no!

I have a 74 yr old friend who is so active! I'll never forget seeing her on a run (I used to run as well) and I joined her and could barely keep up. Now she takes a 5 or 6 mile walk each day plus lives in a 3rd floor walk up. She regularly bikes and takes active vacations that include hiking and biking.

Damn.. I'm getting out there today and am going to make it happen!
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Okay, so I completely misread what you were looking for.
    My inspiration would be MFP. So far I have logged 36 days straight. I enjoy reading the success stories and connecting with others. I find something new to inspire or motivate me everyday!
  • TaosLiz
    Thank you Blackburn23. I thought your first commit was appropriate. I think about my Mom everyday. I think about her lying in bed after her chemo with two 1lb weights doing arm lifts and her skinny white legs doing scissor kicks. She was not able to win the battle against cancer and the devastating affects of chemo on her body, but it was how she faced the challenge that inspires me every single day! She was only 72 when she passed, and my dad 74 who passed 6 months before her from cancer. I try to live each day as if I am living for all three of us. I feel that they both are cheering me on...so on I go, and here I am.
    With that said, Congratulations on 36 days straight of logging in! I am right behind you as you and other trailblaze ahead. :)
    Liz
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    TaosLiz: I am so sorry for your loss. I admire your outlook and your positive approach to each day is inspiring!