Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share?

TaosLiz
TaosLiz Posts: 54 Member
edited February 2021 in Social Groups
ujj89gn5xio8.jpg

This is one of my favorite recipes and it is simple and easy to make:

Fajita Bowls (it makes 4 servings).
Depending on how you make it, it can range from 800 Cal with all the toppings listed below or lighten it up by going vegan with only one tortilla and no sour cream, cheese or avocado.

Just 20 minutes from prep to skillet to bowl. This recipe makes 4 meals. [img]https://us.v- I use almost all Organic Vegetables and products.[/img]Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of Olive or Coconut oil
4- Cloves of Garlic
1- Red Onion chopped
2- Stalks of Celery Chopped in big chunks
1- Green Bell Pepper Chopped in big chunks
1- Orange Bell Pepper Chopped in big chunks
1- Yellow Bell Pepper Chopped in big chunks
2-Portibella Mushrooms sliced
1-Can of Low Sodium Black Beans
½ Cup of Frozen Corn
Fajita Seasoning Mix – 1 packet.
1-2 Taco size Tortillas per serving

Directions:
1. Prepare by washing and chopping your Vegetables. You can also grill your veggies for extra flavor.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add Garlic, Onions, and Celery and Sautee for 2 minutes:
4. Add all other vegetables.
5. Add Seasoning Packet or make your own.
6. Cook only 2-3 minutes so that veggies retain some crispness.
7. Scoop your Veggie Fajita mix in a bowl.
8. Taco Size Tortillas (Whatever kind you prefer) Tear Tortillas into bite size pieces and put on top and then add what garnishes you prefer.
Garnish
1-oz. Shredded Cheese
1-Tablespoons Sour Cream (I sometimes use Plain Yogurt)
2-Tablespoons Salsa
2-Tablespoons of Chopped Tomatoes
Slices of Avocado if you need more fat and calories in your diet.
Cilantro
Fresh Chopped Tomatoes
Fresh Lime wedges for squeezing on top.

Mix and enjoy!

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited March 2021
    In keeping with the fajita theme, we eat "baked fajita chicken" about once a week. I found the recipe on MFP several years ago and its become a staple in our house (we had it last night in fact). My husband likes to eat it in a bun 🙃 I just looked in the MFP recipe section and can't find it there anymore, otherwise I would have posted the link.

2 or 3 chicken breasts (I usually make extra for lunches)
    A sprinkling of taco seasoning
    Bell pepper, thinly sliced (whatever colour you have, or mix them up)
    Red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 to 1/2 cup of shredded cheese

I line a baking dish with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Put your boneless chicken breasts in first, then sprinkle the seasoning, add the peppers and onions, and sprinkle the cheese. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes till chicken is no longer pink. The amounts aren't exact because it depends how many breasts you're cooking, and your own taste preference.

Enjoy!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I made a lovely salad yesterday.

Arugula, jicama, beets, pecans and goat cheese. I drizzled balsamic vinegar over the top plus a dash of salt. Delicious.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    A few years ago, I made a lot of meatless meals and this was something I would throw together from mostly pantry items. Full of fiber!

Sauté onion, garlic and jalapeno, add seasonings like cumin, adobo, Add in chopped zucchini til cooked. Add in a can of chopped tomatoes, black beans and maybe corn if I had it. Simmer for 10 or 20 minutes. Serve over polenta. So good! Serve with a little avocado, sour cream and a bit of cheese if you like.

I would make an Italian version (skip the jalapeno, black beans, cumin & adobo) instead add eggplant, white beans, rosemary, oregano. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

I wish I liked bell peppers because that would add a lot of volume with little calories, but I hate them!

You could add meat to both versions for additional protein. A little spicy sausage goes a long way in flavor.