Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: How Now Brown Cow?

Red meat. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent?

Do you watch your intake of red meat? If so, why? How often do you eat it, if you do eat it? Favorite cut and preparation if you do eat it?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I do eat and really enjoy red meat, but I'm trying to cut back on consumption. I've done well with limiting beef for several years, but until recently, I thought pork tenderloin was considered while meat. (Those old commercials about pork being the other white meat planted that seed years ago.) So, I'm slowly trying to prepare more poultry and seafood. I love both, but find the former boring and the latter not very filling. Limiting because of inflammation and a history of cancer.

We currently eat at least two dinners and associated leftovers of red meat. My goal is to ease us into three dinners per month.

My hands-down favorite is pot roast with a charcoal grilled burger as a close second.

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,852 Member
    Options
    Yes we eat red meat, currently 1 - 2 times a week. Favorite cut is definitly Filet Mignon, with hamburgers second. I am actually doing less red meat than I did through most of my adult life but that doesn't mean its not still my favorite of proteins, its just something that I have evolved into over the past 15 years or so.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    Beef 1-2 times a week. Pork once. Chicken 2 times, fish once, and meatless once. Love tenderloin, both beef and pork.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Are hot dogs red meat? 😉

I eat less red meat than in the past, but it’s still far from a “rare” occurrence. It’s more likely to be in something like chili or American Chop Suey than to be a standalone cut. It’s less than half our meals, but since I don’t like cooking fish in the house, that limits things.

If I’m at a steakhouse, I do steak - preferably a ribeye, because I’m eating for flavor rather than points.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    Are hot dogs red meat? 😉

Are hot dogs "meat"? :D

• newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat Laura 96% lean ground beef and lean sirloin steak with regularity. The question itself leads me to believe that there is a feeling the red meat is not preferable. Other than fat/calories, is there a reason for this?

By way of comparison, here is the nutritional information for 1 oz of the following meat:

1. Laura 96% .......35 cal, 1g fat, 6g protein
    2. Sirloin Steak.....33 cal, 1g fat, 6g protein
    3. Chicken Breast..30 ca;. 1g fat, 6g protein.

All are 0 carb, 0 sugar.

I would call those all more or less equal.

My other proteins are eggs and salmon. .... except for if we go out.

My wife did make a beef roast this Sunday. It was kind of fatty and a bit of a budget killer. I enjoyed it less, knowing all that. This is a pretty rare thing. I also picked up a corned beef cut for St. Paddy's.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I gave up red meet years ago.At one point pre WW I started counting, and limiting, dietary fat. Basically no red meat, cheese, or fried. I mostly lost my taste for beef. If the soup of the day is beef veggie or something like that I won’t shy away from it. But it doesn’t appeal to me like it did.

As a result of this project I’m kinda surprised there’s a chicken still alive.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    The only thing saving the chickens are the haddock and the salmon.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    @newmantjn dldbqzwk9ra4.png
    And the worst is the saturated fat.

• linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of meat. It's ok, but prefer it in small amounts with veggies and carbs. DH on the other hand is a BIG meat fan, especially beef! But since his cholesterol is high, I only cook it once a week (max) per Dr's orders 🤷

Re your point @newmantjn , I looked at NI values for 95% gr beef (I figure it's probably one of the leaner beefs), chicken thighs, and chix breast, and the sat fat went down as expected, from beef to breast. I assume that's why DH's Dr said to limit beef, and why it's something so many try to limit.

And on a side note, since I've found a great source of ground turkey, I use it in everything, in place of gr beef and even pork (I make Bfast sausage and italian sausage with it). My family can't tell the difference!
  • newmantjn
    Options
    @Al_Howard
    I'm not sure what your label is for. Here is a picture of the NI label from the ground beef that I made into chili this evening. Those numbers work out to the numbers/oz that I posted earlier (although it may benefit from a favorable rounding error).

This also lines up with the NI from here, so I am confident in my numbers.

https://www.laurasleanbeef.com/products/all-natural/lean-ground-beef-96

ypu56wl62jvd.jpg
  • newmantjn
    Options
    @Al_Howard
    OK, I figured it out - your NI was for the sirloin. It looks like I need to pick a different one to track. That number was fed by my fitness pal and seems to be incorrect. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    The is the bugaboo.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I eat very little meat of any sort. I have embraced a primarily plant based approach to my food.