Books About Health (Physical and Mental) and Fitness

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
I saw our group owner, Kathy, posted about planning to read "The Beck Diet Solution." Since we are on My Fitness Pal, I thought maybe we should have a thread to discuss health/diet-related books. It doesn't have to be just physical health/diet though. I'm also thinking of mental health, anxiety/depression, etc.

One book that I listened to a few years ago was "Wheat Belly." While I didn't agree with everything the author said, I thought he made some very valid and interesting points, especially as a diabetic. Unfortunately, I don't remember many details. It might be time for me to listen to this one again.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I listened to Jason Satterfield's "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Techniques for Retraining Your Brain." It's one of "The Great Courses." There appears to be a DVD, but I listened to the audio version, which I got through my library system.

I actually listened to this at least twice, and will probably listen again. I found it very helpful. (I had posted a review about it on GoodReads, but I've since deleted my GoodReads account.)

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/39067892-cognitive-behavioral-therapy

Just sharing in case it might help someone.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I never did read the Wheat Belly but I know the gist of it because it's referred to a lot. The Cognitive Behavioral Therapy book sounds awesome, I need to check it out if there's a paper (or Kindle) version!

I just finished a book about chemicals, it was mostly ragging on smoking which I'm completely aware of, I thought it was going to be more about food chemicals which I've done reading about as it's something to be conscious of with endometriosis and auto immune issues. Let's see, I accidentally got the audio of How Not To Diet and have an awful time paying attention to audio, I got bored a few minutes in and started daydreaming and realized I spaced out most of the last chapter so I'm just going to return it and put a hold on the regular book version. I read The Obesity Code recently too, I thought it was going to be heavy keto but it wasn't, it was more IF than it. Now that I've gained back some weight and can't work out like I did a year ago I could probably try it again but I was getting hypoglycemic all the time when I did IF so I had to stop and start eating oatmeal before workouts.

Angela, basically it seems like ancient grains are okay but not ones that have been modified for disease and easier harvesting, right?