New to the Keto Life - Keto Flu?

Options
Hi everyone, i just wanted to introduce myself as a newcomer to the Keto life. My wife and I are eager to learn and experience what Keto has in store for us. I am someone who has failed more times then i can remember at health. My health has suffered as a result, especially my diabetes. But here i am hoping for real change. Has anyone experience the Keto Flu? I looked this up after feeling terrible the 1st few days of my journey. I had bad headaches, nausea, vomiting. Literal withdrawls. Any advice on this? or is it just something to go through as my body adjusts?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It is completely unnecessary to suffer from keto flu, it's an electrolyte imbalance as you shed water - water soluble items like salt, magnesium, and potassium are lost and that's problematic.

Have a gatorade zero or some other electrolyte drink, there are lots of keto-ade recipes if you prefer to make your own.
  • delraydale87
    delraydale87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is completely unnecessary to suffer from keto flu, it's an electrolyte imbalance as you shed water - water soluble items like salt, magnesium, and potassium are lost and that's problematic.

Have a gatorade zero or some other electrolyte drink, there are lots of keto-ade recipes if you prefer to make your own.

Oh man thank you for the info, I'll try that. I recognized it feels a lot like a hangover sometimes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Also, salt all your foods and add in things like pickles or olives.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i just wanted to introduce myself as a newcomer to the Keto life. My wife and I are eager to learn and experience what Keto has in store for us. I am someone who has failed more times then i can remember at health. My health has suffered as a result, especially my diabetes. But here i am hoping for real change. Has anyone experience the Keto Flu? I looked this up after feeling terrible the 1st few days of my journey. I had bad headaches, nausea, vomiting. Literal withdrawls. Any advice on this? or is it just something to go through as my body adjusts?

Greetings. Just an encouragement. Six or seven months back I tested my blood sugar levels and they were at 22 mmol (396 mg/dl).
    That was a shock and rude wake up call.
    I decided that I was going to attack it with everything I had.
    I started strict keto for the first time ever, combined with exercise 5 days a week.

Six or seven months later, im down 45 lbs and my sugar levels are normal without any medication and I seem to have reversed diabetes altogether as my blood sugar does not remain elevated even on the RARE occasions I have carbs or sugary treats.

It is possible. By cutting out all the fuel to the fire (carbs), and bringing down insulin resistance via weightloss, it is possible to reverse diabetes (or at any rate push it into remission!

Go for it!