Active April

Options

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Day before colonoscopy. Today all I can eat is eggs, 1 cup of my almond milk, oil for eggs and whiter-than-white bread. I am nervous about the procedure and taking the prep which has lots of health warnings. I will be glad when it is all done.

I burned off some nervous energy push mowing the orchard. Not a self-propelled mower but an ancient style push mower. Another great workout. Came in bright red from exertion (not from sun, i used sunscreen). Finished my office work for the day early this morning when I couldn't sleep anyway, so now I'm free to work on Illustrator or make some cards.

Here are a few I made a while back. I'm planning to make a lot of cards, so I'll be sticking to the simpler cards with patterned paper and less on tiny cutouts. The '13' took a crazy amount of layers and patience!

xdhsk8fierlx.jpg
    9aq3q7plhdqy.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    The cards are so pretty, Carla! Nice job. I hope all goes well today and tomorrow.

My contractor has been making some awesome progress this week! Backsplash done, dishwasher installed, painting is done, new outlets and blinds installed. Didn't even realize the ice and water dispenser on the fridge were hooked up until I heard ice dropping. I ran over to check it out and actually did a touchdown dance when water came out. LOL

B - honeydew, a couple walnut halves
    L - leftover greens/beans/mushrooms/onion concoction, more honeydew
    D - big ol' salad planned with more honeydew and some blueberries, a handful of cashews
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    🍄 Hello everyone and thanks for the well wishes for my mom.

They started her on a new medicine ( they refer to it as maintenance drug) It is suppose to prevent her uti from coming back..She will be on it for 3 months with bloodwork..They want to make sure her kidneys don't start having an issue with it, she has stage 3 kidney disease. I also had to take her to get her second vaccination shot (Moderna).

Mason 🐶 had the pin removed from his second knee surgery. So far so good..He now needs to be walked everyday. First week one block, second week two blocks etc..10 is the goal (this is his rehabilitation).

Workouts have been consistent
    Trail walks, Treadmill, dvds. I usually try for an hour
    And use a rest day if I'm truly beat and not being lazy lol!!!

Menu's lately
    Breakfast protein coffee. This is a tic tok thing and I use a chocolate Evolve shake. I also have a large banana
    Lunch A very large salad with my beans, mushrooms, onions, assorted greens/veggies. Topped with balsamic vinegar. I add a slice of sprouted grain bread if I'm really feeling I want more carbs.
    Dinners
    Usually a fruit bowl or an apple with crunchy pb..
    I try for a gallon of water a day..somedays I do better than others. I have one of the motivational bottles from Amazon..

I'm so glad to hear your kitchen is coming along and hope round 2 of your vaccination shot doesn't have side effects.

Good luck with your procedure Carla!!!! We plan to start working in our yard this weekend(weather permitting)

Welcome new plant people!!!

• hawksgirl229
    Options
    Oh carla...Your cards are Awesome!!!!!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    @Carla_wfpb
    Interesting! You make me want to go check out rosemary essential oils, so see if I can smell a difference. I know there are different variations of rosemary, with different shapes and flowers and, yes, maybe some aroma differences.
    Your adventures on the riding lawnmower sound grand! "breaded in green clippings" was a hilarious description!
    I am sending you a hug as regards having to eat non-optimal food!
    Also -- your cards are beautiful!

@Mihani
    I hope that vaccination #2 goes well. I hear that the rough day can be anywhere days 2-5, with a nurse I know saying 3 seemed the most common.
    I am having long-distance kitchen envy. I plan to work on our kitchen and floors in the next 2 years.

So Tuesday was vegan but way off the plan, and Wednesday better but not great. I have to do better as my pants feel a little tight!

So I worked up my plan for today, and have stuck with it, and done the weighing and tracking.

Morning - black coffee, fast until 11:30 or later - DONE
    Lunch - steamed greens & beans (turnip greens, garbanzo beans, pickled jalapenos); steamed veggie bowl (zucchini, celery, mushroom) with chopped fresh veggies (tomato, cabbage, green onion); guavas, apple and blackberries - DONE
    Dinner (planned) - big salad with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled fennel seeds (having a fennel thing this week!)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Austin you just reminded me I want to make a recipe soon... I'll have to find my original that is saved on my other computer, but there are a lot of variations on the web. It's a maple dijon roasted brussels sprouts recipe, but I was inspired to add sliced fennel to the pan once, and now I can't imagine the recipe without fennel! I shaved some of the fronds from the fennel for a garnish. It's delicious.

hawksgirl, hope that the new medication helps your mom. Yay for success with Mason's surgery so far, and hope his rehab goes well. I'm always impressed with how well you do with diet and exercise even though you have multiple things stressing you!

Carla, thinking of you!

OMG y'all... the kitchen is pretty much done! There are a few little finishing touches to do here and there in the kitchen, plus some touch up paint in the living room and dining room, but for the most part it is done! I started a load of dishes in the new dishwasher when I got home. It's so quiet! I will try to get a couple loads done tonight then another couple tomorrow, finish the dishes and organizing over the weekend. Everything has been sitting out in open boxes for months now and got coated with dust, debris and dog hair. Easiest to just throw all the dishes through the dishwasher before putting them away although I'll do a lot of hand washing too.

I bought a bunch of storage baskets and drawer organizers so I will start sorting through and figuring out how best to arrange things in the new cabinets and drawers. I have so much more space but more cabinet and drawer space too. How's that for a winning remodel? My kitchen was very 60's with the peninsula sticking out in the middle so you have a space for table and chairs on the other side and it always felt cramped and awkward. Did away with that and the counters run all the way down the wall now. Plus a side run of a couple lower cabinets on another wall. It's all beautiful and I can't even believe how excited I am now that it is done and I can get things organized. Finally!

B - honeydew and a few raw cashews
    L - leftover greens/beans/onions/mushrooms concoction, more honeydew (this was a BIG honeydew I got)
    D - not sure yet... probably salad and some mixed berries with chia seeds

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I made it through my procedure...so happy to have it over with. The doctor said everything looked good with no polyps or other visible issues. He took samples and I should get the results within a week. I was put under for the procedure which I totally wasn't expecting. For some reason I was under the impression that I would just be drugged to the point of being sleepy and relaxed. It's a good thing I didn't know ahead of time. I had only a few minutes to be extra nervous. I could have gone without it, but I am glad I decided to go ahead with it. It was like a good nap with a dream that I don't remember and I it was nice to not have any awareness of the 'butt stuff' going on!

Didn't end up doing much of anything else with my day. The second dose of liquid prep made me ill and I couldn't keep it down. I ended up napping and reading until it was time to leave and didn't do much but relax and eat once I got back home. I will be active in the yard and on plan with food tomorrow.

@hawksgirl229 I hope your mom does well with the new drug and has no kidney trouble as a result. It sounds like you've both been going through a rough time lately, and your doggie too. Excellent workouts! (Does your mom eat plant based?)

@AustinRuadhain Let me know what your sniffing experience is like with the rosemary oil. I ordered mine online so this is the only one I've smelled. Mine is by Healing Solutions. It is lovely diffused and I use it on my hair. I put a small amount on my hands and then run through the ends of my hair for moisture, shine and the smell. If I have time, I massage it onto the roots 15 minutes before a shower as it is supposed to be good for hair growth and retention. Nice job on the long fast. I usually give in and eat by 10 or 10:30 :)

@Mihani So happy for you that your kitchen is almost done and that you love it! Is there much else that you are doing or is the remodel aside from the outdoor planting done? Is work as busy lately?

Thanks for the support and well wishes all!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, glad to hear all went well and no issues, but sorry to hear the prep stuff made you ill. I laughed at not having awareness of the "butt stuff" LOL

Austin, I seem to remember you mentioning pickled jalapenos before... do you do that yourself or buy them pickled?

I'm home from the office early. I wasn't feeling well last night or this morning, and still not 100%, but I am doing better. I think the stress of tax time and all the pressure at work is getting to me. I plan to work all day tomorrow from home, and I have a friend coming on Sunday to help me finish organizing and cleaning after all the remodel mess. I will pay her of course, but it's nice to have friends who are willing to come over and help. I want to get as much done tonight and tomorrow night when I'm done working as possible.

I just had some dry toast and tea this morning since I wasn't feeling well. Haven't felt like eating again yet, but I'll probably have a big ol' salad here soon. I need to make a dressing. I'm tired of my standby bragg's and dijon.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Ugh, I got totally stuffed up, sniffly and sneezy last night. Took some nyquil and slept hard for 8 hours. Feeling a bit better this morning. My allergies have been going crazy this spring, but this feels more like a cold than just the usual allergy/sinus stuff.

I made a big batch of greens and beans this morning. I have been doing this every week. I start with water sauteing some onion and garlic in a stock pot, then add sliced mushrooms, then a huge amount of greens, and a couple cans of beans. It's endlessly versatile by varying the type of mushrooms, greens, beans, and spices. Sometimes I use balsamic or coconut aminos, other times just spices. I have started calling it Pot O' GBOMBS since if I sprinkle with sunflower or sesame seeds or toasted pine nuts when dishing up it has all of Dr. F's recommendations with the exception of the berries.

Today's concoction was onion, mushrooms, 2 big bunches of collards, a big bunch of kale, and a 16 oz bag of fresh mustard greens, 2 cans of chickpeas, garlic, turmeric, cumin, black pepper and Mrs. Dash. I have been freezing several containers each week because the leftovers are only good for about 4 days, and now I have a good supply of frozen servings for later in the week and I only have to cook on the weekends unless I feel like or have time to cook later in the week.

I tried a trick I read about to make oil free taco shells from corn tortillas. Heat oven to 400, drape corn tortillas over two of the bars in the oven rack and bake until crunchy. Mine didn't come out perfectly, kind of chewy rather than crisp, and I lost 2 tortillas that fell off onto the floor while I was trying to get them situated on the rack, but I will keep trying until I get it right. I think the tortillas I used weren't quite pliable enough. I loaded them up with a stir-fry of onions, peppers and pinto beans with fajita seasoning, plus lettuce and salsa. Delicious! Sometimes I do miss the "crunch" with this style of eating. Sometimes I buy baked tostadas and break them up for "chips" with salsa or guacamole.

Plan for today...
    B - some sprouted grain toast and tea (done)
    L - tacos (done)
    D - bowl of Pot O' GBOMBS, salad with unhoney mustard dressing
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Mihani, sounds like your tacos will be crunchy after another trial run or two. Sounds good.

We're having whole wheat spaghetti with homemade mushroom, onion and bell pepper sauce for dinner. I'm picking up several bunches of parsley tomorrow to make a big tabbouleh salad.

It's a bit wet out and we're in for several days of off and on rain, so I won't be able to do any mowing but we'll pick up branches and do another burn pile while we can before the dry season.

Our garden starts are looking good, and we had a zucchini seed and some of our tomato seeds on the windowsill sprout.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Good morning plant friends! I feel remarkably better today. I napped several times yesterday though, so I had to postpone the friend who was coming over today to help with cleaning and sorting because I have to get some work done. I didn't even make it to my desk yesterday. I did get everything put away in the kitchen in between naps. It was a lot of work and took all day. I am not sure I'm 100% happy with the arrangement of things but it's a start and how things are organized will likely evolve over time as I get used to the new layout and how I use the counter space. I even hung a couple pieces of art back up on the walls in the living room. Starting to feel like home again.

Carla, yay for shoots on your garden starts. Your life always sounds so idyllic, although it also sounds like a lot of work! How do you make your tabbouleh salad? I love it but the ones you can buy all have olive oil.

Hawksgirl, how are Mason and your mom doing?

Plan for today...
    B - steel cut oats with mixed berries, chia seeds, a few walnut halves
    L - tacos, salad, apple
    D - Pot O' GBOMBS

Have a great Sunday!

Magic and Bisky, if you are out there we miss you! Hope all is well.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I second that Magic and Bisky! Hope to see you soon and that all is well.

Mihani, it is very peaceful here. Just how we like it :) Glad you're feeling better.

We picked up branches and used the chainsaw to do some cleanup as planned yesterday until we started feeling damp. Today we'll pick up a load or two of the branches for the burn pile, but nothing too lengthy or taxing.

I've been designing a paper covered chipboard box using Illustrator and my Cricut software. It has taken a lot of time just for a box, but I'm learning along the way and hopefully I'll like how it turns out and can use the pattern over and over. I'll take a pic once the box is made. I have chipboard arriving some time today.

Here's the Tabouli salad recipe I'm going to make. I couldn't find the one I've used before, so I'm not sure how it will turn out, but there's nothing that seems 'off' about it. Another grain can be subbed for the Bulgar wheat if you don't have it on hand.

No-Oil Tabouli Salad
    Servings: 6 large servings or more
    Author: Plant-Based-Bear.com

Ingredients
    1 c Bulgar wheat dry
    1 1/2 c boiling water
    1/4 c lemon juice or put as much as you like!
    2-3 T tahini (pre-made or grind your own)
    4-5 cloves garlic minced
    1 t to 1 1/2salt
    black pepper
    4-8 green onions minced
    4-6 c parsley packed, minced (about 4-8 bunches)
    10-25 mint leaves chopped
    2 medium tomatoes diced

Instructions
    Put the Bulgar wheat in a big bowl, cover with the boiling water, and cover with lid or plastic wrap for 10-15 minutes, which should get it mostly tender.
    In the meantime, start mincing, and then add lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, and pepper to the big bowl with the Bulgar, and mix well. (Salt can be left out or left until the end if you want to monitor it.)

Notes
    If serving immediately, mix in the rest of the ingredients, but do try to chill for just a bit first. This one is great COLD!
    If serving much later, consider leaving out the greens until right before serving time, and then mixing together.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Thanks, Carla! I copied that recipe and will give it a try soon. Everything is still a bit chaotic here but at least I am back to basic cooking in the new kitchen, and soooo looking forward to trying some new recipes, experimenting with the instapot, and even baking soon.

I bought a set of 40 food storage containers from Amazon... they are pretty basic thin black plastic like you would get in a frozen entree plus clear plastic lids, but supposedly reusable. We'll see how they hold up, but I am planning to do some batch prepping soon and freeze entrees and soups in those so I always have healthy food on hand ready to go.

Second Covid shot after work tomorrow, and I have scheduled Wednesday off in case I don't feel well. Everyone seems to be saying they felt really wiped out after the second shot, if not outright awful with fever and chills. Hoping I don't have much reaction.

Okay, off to do some cleaning and dusting. Getting all the piles of stuff off the living room and dining room floors and tables revealed a LOT of dog hair rolling about. How that boy can create so much hair... ugh! Tempted to have him shaved. LOL

B - ezekiel toast with almond butter and berries
    L - Pot 'O GBOMBS over quinoa
    D - big ol' salad, unhoney mustard dressing, an apple
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Hope your 2nd shot is well received and that you're feeling better than expected tomorrow, Mihani!

I finished the box pattern yesterday and made the prototype. After some adjustments to the shapes, I cut out the materials for my second box and have parts drying now. I'm staying inside and playing crafty time instead of doing yard work. It is time to mow everything again. The grass grows so fast at this time of year. It should slow down some time in June.

I've been making progress at work slowly but surely (designing inventory software). The salespeople are waiting for the software package to be complete so they can start selling it. I just need to keep at it a bit each day and hopefully I'll get into it again.

I made my evening turmeric latte decadent last night. I added 3 soaked medjool dates (normally I use 1 or 2) and also a tablespoon of cashews, which made is delightfully creamy. Like dessert! I've been using a 'golden milk' mix, but I am going to try my own blend to control the ingredients and cost.

0w1xk6jrgd2q.jpg

• Mihani
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Oh how pretty, Carla! Love your projects. Are you doing any weaving or spinning lately? Your latte sounds tasty.

Had my second shot and didn't keel over or anything so that's cool. Hopefully I won't have any or at least mild reaction. The reports I have heard from friends are dramatically varied. I brought a bunch of work home so I would like to be feeling fine tomorrow and get lots done while I am home with no interruptions for a day.

B - leftover steel cut oats with mixed berries, chia seeds, a few walnut halves
    L - leftover greens and beans over quinoa
    D - big ol' salad, an apple
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Just made the tabbouli, watch the salt. I put in 3/4 tsp and it was plenty. Recipe calls for up to double that which I can't imagine! Turned out good, I'll make it again. I used the food processor to chop the parsley super fine which made it a breeze to make.
  • Mihani
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Mornin' all. I feel okay, but still staying home today. I had a slight fever last night but it didn't last long. Just tired and achy this morning, and my arm is sore. Overall not bad though. I am going to go back to bed for a bit then get some work done.

B - steel cut oats with berries, chia seeds, a few walnut halves
    L - (planned) big ol' salad, an apple
    D - (planned) greens and beans over quinoa, steamed turnips
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Hope you got a good rest this morning Mihani.

I forgot to seal the vent on my Instant Pot so I burned my millet porridge this morning. Luckily, I had my tabbouleh prepped and ready to go. Yum! Better cold as the recipe states.

Second box complete. More work on the software. Ran out of gas so not mowing today, other than maybe some push mowing with whatever is in the tank.

I think we're going to have a noodle bowl stir fry for dinner with lots of broccoli and mushrooms, and I'll probably take the easy route and have more tabbouleh for lunch.
  • hawksgirl229
    Options
    Hi everyone 🍄

@Carla_wfpb
    Glad to hear you powered thru your procedure. Thinking good vibes for your results. I have the procedure every five years (unless something wonky happens) because of family history (grandpa died of colon cancer at 56) and the polyp they found during my first colonascopy. Your box and cards are really awesome!!! My mom is not plant based..when she has a salad it hard to see the lettuce because of all the salad dressing on it.lol.

Mihani
    So sorry to hear about feeling off, but happy you have bounced back..yeah to be done with your vaccination..My husband and I get our second mid-may(Moderna). So exciting about the kitchen, sounds like your in the home strech!!!!

Mason is doing well with his little rehab walks. He get excited when we head to the "other" door..He loves smelling every dandelion we pass..I know it makes him happy but all I'm thinking is tick tock..

My water goal of a gallon has been going great..It also keeps me from drinking to many diet cokes and artificially sweetened things..I do add lime or lemon if I want some flavor.. workouts have been treadmill intervals for 1hr..Monday was a rest day and tomorrow I want to do yoga and upper body. I missing my stretch and weights...

All the menu's sound so creative and tasty..

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE ❤
  • Mihani
    Options
    oh no, sorry about the burned millet, Carla! I've been thinking about the OSG noodle bowl lately and want to make that soon. I love the citrus variation of it. You talking about millet reminded me of a recipe I liked quite a bit... https://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/26/cozy-millet-bowl-with-mushroom-gravy-and-kale/

hawksgirl, great job on the water consumption. Glad to hear that Mason is doing well. My dog is the same way. Has to stop and smell (and often pee on LOL) everything! Makes me nuts.

I was up and down yesterday. Would feel better then I'd get really tired again, start having chills and body aches, go back to bed for a while, rinse and repeat. I went to bed early and slept really well. Felt pretty normal today at work other than still a little fatigued and definitely going to bed early again tonight.

Need to plan what I want to cook this weekend and go grocery shopping tomorrow after work. Definitely going to be asparagus, broccoli and brussels sprouts. Maybe red lentil kale soup. Probably a batch of hummus to top my salads next week. I bet that would freeze well too. I use the Engine 2 recipe which is more a bean dip or spread than true hummus, but there's no oil or tahini so I can eat as much as I want of it. I admit to being a bit of a hummus addict and have trouble controlling portions so I rarely buy the real stuff with oil and tahini.

B - skipped it
    L - variety of raw veggies with unhoney mustard dressing for dipping
    S - lara bar
    D - not sure yet... probably a wrap of veggies and beans in an ezekiel tortilla