Changing up my diet slightly this morning.

Options
Poobah1972
Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
I may well be getting into the weeds of Keto this morning, but I've decided to tweak my diet slightly and remove my 5 day a week Vanilla Pudding ( 7 carbs). This will have the effect of shifting my macro's significantly more in line with a traditional KETO profile.

In leu of Pudding, I will be replacing it with 60 - 150 calories of Virgin Coconut Oil in my morning Coffee. Quantity dependent upon projected daily Calories shooting for 1600.

The obvious effect being.

Fat Calories % will Increase
Carb Calories % will significantly decrease
Protein Calories % will slightly decrease compared to Fat Calories but generally remain the same in terms of over all grams per day.

This shift will also result in a higher percentage of overall food intake happening first thing in the morning.

The not so obvious (and theory) is...

Ketones levels may rise
Blood Sugar Levels may drop
Uric acid production may drop (Potentially fewer Gout flare ups)

So why might I think that... The theory goes, That when fat % ratio to Protein % increase, your body will more effectively preferentially utilize Fat and particular MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oils for direct energy utilization in muscles, and for conversion to ketones in the liver. (remember Ketones are the main source of energy on a Keto diet).

It has also been well studied that taking whey protein shakes, quickly result in a insulin spike. This insulin spike occurs as the protein is so quickly digested and absorbed into the blood stream, that a large percentage of it ends up in your liver where it is converted to Glucose, and the one of the by products of this conversion is Uric Acid.

By increasing the availability of a preferred fuel source (fat/MTC's) and lowing the availability of Protein in comparison, you body will simply produce more ketone's and less Glucose.

Will the reduction in Uric Acid be enough to make any notable difference? That is a good question, but I would suggest Gout is already a very hit and miss thing. You either have a flare up and uric acid stays in solution in your blood stream, or you hit a tipping point where it begins to crystalize resulting in gout. So any reduction could significantly reduce the potential of an attack.

On another note, I now have a about 10 weeks or so of Blood Ketone and Glucose test. I may potentially be able to shed some light on why my glucose has fluctuated I'm going to create a new spreadsheet, which will include my Daily Macro's, total Calories, Ketone and glucose readings. It may shed some light on the connection between said macro's and the next mornings Glucose/ketone readings. I'll probably plot a graph, and you never know perhaps Protein percentage vs Fat and or High protein days may well prove to be moderator of Glucose levels (as Protein is what is needed to create it in the absence of available carbs). It will be interesting to see. (Hopefully I can post some interesting results soon.)

(Fyi, thought I'd throw this up here in case anyone had any thoughts or experience in these matters).

(Cheers)

Replies

• AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nerd. LOL. Just kidding, let us know how it goes! I'm actually adding more carbs back in and while technically still low carb, nowhere near KETO levels. So I like to see who gets what results with what actions.
  • Poobah1972
    edited April 2021
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    Nerd. LOL. Just kidding, let us know how it goes! I'm actually adding more carbs back in and while technically still low carb, nowhere near KETO levels. So I like to see who gets what results with what actions.

Yeah I'm just experimenting ( and I'll own Nerd any day. :D )... But the my Ketones level and GKI level have both improved immediately after this slight change so that's good. lol

I actually dragged myself to the Clinic Yesterday, and was prescribed Allopurinol... So here's hoping the gout problem will be solved by this alone. I also asked for some fairly extensive blood tests... Unfortunately since I've started Allopurinol, I need to wait about a month before getting said tests.

I did manage to input all my food macro's and blood ketone/glucose/GKI numbers... And what is clear is my GKI number has been pretty steadily improving right from the beginning. Can't put my finger on exactly what makes my blood sugar jump from time to time (still need to play around with charting extra)... But the important thing is GKI improvement, means generally lowering Blood Glucose and more Ketone production. SO that a WIN! And I guess seeing a doctor and looking after myself is another WIN! B)

Further speculation... It is said that becoming fully fat adapted actually takes about 12 weeks ore more. This time frame basically allows the mitochondria (Living reproducing life forms of there own with there own RNA structure) that live in your cells time to adjust to Ketone's as a primary fuel source. Mitochondria have a much shorter life span then we do and die and reproduce all the time, Much like Viruses and all living life, it's thought after so many generations are born under the new Ketone Landscape, they actually become better at seeking and preferentially use Ketones for Cellular energy production. This could partly explain the better GKI numbers over time at least in part. 🤪

Also based on all the data, it was clear I needed to improve some of the food items Macro entries.... Specially around items with Sugar alcohols and Fiber... Seems MFP entries are all over the place.... I want to see total carbs, I want to see fiber... But 100% non-digestible Sugar alcohols should be removed completely, otherwise they inflate carbs and can totally screw fiber depending on how they were originally entered in MFP. So I went ahead and made proper entries for a number of offenders (Quest Protein Chips, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Lily's Salted Almond Chocolate Bars etc) all the way back too the beginning. Good news is I actually get about 20-30 fiber a day. And my true Daily Net Carb Calorie % compared to Fat and protein is almost always under 10% and since my minor change the other day more like 6-8%.

Kay enough Nerd time. Peace Out!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Nerd Time. I have enough trouble just filling out a food diary these past couple years. After doing it religiously to lose weight on Keto/HFLC I couldn't stand looking at the bloody diary any more!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I logged daily for like 1800 days straight, then decided enough logging, I got this. Quit logging for about 6 months, but then started the carb creep.... so now trying to get back in the losing game.
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hahaha, Nerd Time. I have enough trouble just filling out a food diary these past couple years. After doing it religiously to lose weight on Keto/HFLC I couldn't stand looking at the bloody diary any more!

I can't begin to know for sure how maintenance will look for me, but I do enjoy the nerd aspects... For me it's part of the learning experience, and just gives me confidence in what I'm doing. Plus that knowledge will invariably help down the road should I choose not to log. I've been though it before, so I'm already quite adept at not logging, and know that X breakfast plus X lunch and X Dinner equals about X calories. Heck I know most of the calorie content of the food I eat by the ounce already. But for now, logging just keep that part of me that wants me to fail at bay, and gives me some peace of mind. :)
    camtosh wrote: »
    I hear ya. I logged daily for like 1800 days straight, then decided enough logging, I got this. Quit logging for about 6 months, but then started the carb creep.... so now trying to get back in the losing game.

Thanks for that... Even though I'm potentially 2 years away or more from reaching maintenance. I have promised myself, I will at least log for another full year past that with the regular Weigh ins. Just to ensure things I don't begin to creep. Will I continue to log every day? I just don't know. I guess It depends on how confidence. Or perhaps I will become a logging addict? lol I don't know.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    My problem isn't so much carb creep as way too much dairy (cheese) - which means way too much fat, and calories, meaning I have gained very slowly over the past 4 years or so (5lbs/yr.) I'm trying to be a little more aware of exactly how much I take in. If not for effortless intermittent fasting I'd probably have gained a lot more; I'm losing very slowly, but not exactly being very strict either.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Oh yeah, almost forgot all the fresh nuts....macadamia and pecan mainly. I eat them by the fistfuls. :(