New here - migraines get in the way

Options
Hi. Weight and wellness is hard enough! But then you add in mental and physical ailments and there is a whole lot we have to do to be strong. I suffer from migraines and I go along well for a few days and then BAM, all I want is to be still and eat mashed potatos. I am 64, 5’3”, 120 lbs. My goal weight is 110. Or stay at 120 and gain muscle - LOL. But doing my best.

Replies

• mtnbkr1966
    mtnbkr1966 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Migraines have impacted my weight, too. Over the past few years they’ve gotten really bad, and I’ve spent so many days in bed, desperately seeking darkness, silence and stillness, that my muscles have completely atrophied and I have the metabolism of a sloth.

I hope that you’re able to string some good days together so that you can focus on your goals. Keep them small and realistic, and you’ll get there!
  • anndeemarie
    anndeemarie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bummer what we have in common! I don't have the classic migraine, but I suffer from chronic tension headache. Every. Single. Day. I'm on two preventatives that help (I've tried EVERYthing). What frustrates me beyond all is that physical strain & impact is what sets me off. Lifting weights, jogging, pushups, etc. I can walk all day long (and practically do). Anyway, I have learned to live with it and do my best, when I behave myself my pain is manageable, but when I set it off (like jogging last week) then I'm beyond miserable for about a week.
    I was blaming my weight on the amitriptyline but the past month + I've really dialed it in and am down 8 lbs, with another 7 to go. It's hard to not be able to do everything the cool kids can, but we can still be successful!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I also get migraines. Really learning how to embrace them and the emotions they bring has been life changing for me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from them, but my brother, an uncle, and three of my cousins do. Theirs are tied to dairy sensitivities. You might want to corelate your food diary with a migraine journal to see if there are any links. One cousin got relief by using Imitrex tablets as soon as the auras started, just before the headache hit.
  • yfznat
    yfznat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get migraines as well. I’ve learned to manage them so I’m not missing work, but I have noticed that when I lift or do any type of core exercise I get headaches. For the most part, I’ve learned to modify to prevent the headaches. I also use TRX suspension for my core workouts and it has helped a lot. Anything to stay on track with my workouts!
  • memeq2
    memeq2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from pounding headaches and vertigo. Since I started eating almonds every day I have had no headaches or vertigo. If I feel a headache coming on I eat almonds. I don't know if it is the healthy fat or the vitamin E but I just know it is working for me.
  • ptaillant7
    ptaillant7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello - I am new to this group . Am so sorry to learn about your migraines, I can empathize with everyone . Migraines are so tough to manage . I have been suffering with Migraines (tension, food related and menstrual) for about 30+yrs on a monthly basis . They are genetic in my family. They used to be consistently weekly and last 2-5 days for many years, depleting all energy and impacting my family. What has really worked for me was avoiding trigger foods, trying my best to go to sleep and wake at the same time every day , eating every 3 hrs to maintain glucose levels , hydrating and exercising as regularly as I can . When they are menstrual I must take 1 , 800mg tablet of Ibuprofen or 500mg Naproxen at onset to rapidly decrease the inflammation .I take it with water and follow it up with some caffeine ( coffee, 4 oz soda OR Cafergot RX) . I have tried just about everything through the years and this combination seems to work well for me . I also will see my doctor for a Toradol injection ( before work) if it appears it will go longer than 1-2 days cause I try my best to work with them . I'm a nurse and sometimes that is immensely hard especially if I'm having nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light , smells and noise ... I would highly recommened a food diary . I've had to eliminate so many foods to stay migraine free . The longest I have ever gone without a migraine was 3-4 months . That was a miracle ..