Weight-loss "task-force" challenge

Options

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,989 Member
    Options
    Today is day 37 of the Omer. Today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“By being what only we are, we contribute to humanity what only we can give.”

Yesterday was easier than anticipated. I had an evening class, so had to run out right after dinner, and by the time I got back, there wasn't enough time to be bored and start thinking about snacking. Certainly "distraction" has been a good strategy to avoid the snacking!

Congrats, @linmueller on the successful couple of days.

I again really like the quote of the day. I'm a big believer in the idea that we are all unique individuals and that there is great value in being who we are, and in contributing what we can!
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 38 of the Omer. Today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“If we truly wish to hand on our legacy to our children, we must teach them to love it.”

Yesterday was another one for the "win" column. As noted yesterday, distraction has been a great tool to minimize/prevent the evening snacking. We were on a Zoom webinar for my son's college scholarship program, and having something to focus on definitely reduced my thinking about snacking!

Also, I noted that the scale may finally be responding to my efforts. I will wait until Friday to see if it really holds, or if it's just a random scale blip instead.

I find today's quote to be quite interesting. Going beyond the Jewish-legacy issue, I think it's important that we try to focus on the positive and the joy that life brings as a legacy to pass down to our children, rather than all of the negative that we (think) we experience. If, for example, we think about how "the system" is out to get us, then those are the values that we pass down. If we hate going to work, or if we have random hate towards others, those values will be passed down. Conversely, if we teach our children to love things like service to others, humility, education, etc., then those are the values they'll internalize.

This brings me to the scholarship program for my son's college. The program was a few students in the program giving presentations on essays they wrote. A few of them were on how the current educational system is "oppressive" and leads to the internalization of systemic oppression. Without getting too political here, I was struck by the overarching attitude that "the system is out to get me." I dunno, maybe I'm being too Pollyanna-ish, but I think that if "we" (our higher educational system) work to instill that attitude towards our children/young-adults, then we're going to end up with a lot of folks who don't realize how much of their lives are in their own hands, rather than in the hands of others.

That latter issue is clearly related to our weigh-management plans. If we believe that we can't control our caloric intake, and instead we are being controlled by others, then we no longer have responsibility for ourselves. Weight-loss/management becomes a farce. That is too pessimistic an attitude to be useful, at least to me.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,917 Member
    Options
    Steve - jumping in with an observation on the issue of “how much of their lives are in their own hands”.

We had a department head (over 3500 people) who latched onto a management book, had all the management team read it, and managed based on the concepts in that book. I’m not normally one for flavor-of-the-month management books, but this one was useful. The primary focus was on thinking “from where we are right now, what is the best way to move forward?” It wasn’t about blame or history; it accepted the situation in which we found ourselves and focused on “now what?” It was liberating not to have to think about blame or fault, and simply “solve for X”, as it were.

It would be good if more people could do that in their lives. (I’m trying to do that in my relationship with Connect.)
  • steve0mania
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    The primary focus was on thinking “from where we are right now, what is the best way to move forward?”

Yes, that's a great approach. I've worked hard to avoid rehashing the past (in a number of settings) and instead deciding on where we'd like to. Sometimes that's easier said than done. Nevertheless, it's a good strategy.

At the same time, the world is changing, and we do seem to be in the midst of a philosophic battle with regards to how best to see the world: "generally ok with some problems that need to be fixed" versus "fundamentally flawed and needs to be thrown out and restarted."

Interesting times and all...

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,058 Member
    Options
    Well...my official WW weigh-in today was down 1# from last week. It alo matched my lowest on WW (this time around) from 5/23/2014. Happy dance (activity) hee. ;)
    Now to rinse and repeat.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm continuing to meet tracked calorie goals and nutritional targets. This has been easier to do since I started an 8-week stationary bike fitness program to get ready for summer cycling.

On another note I read an outstanding article ny Eben Weiss about the cycling accident in Las Vegas that killed 5 bicyclists. He pointed out how to keep a positive perspective and to not allow fear and anger to stop us from doing what we enjoy.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 39 of the Omer. Today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Life is a journey, not a destination. We should constantly set ourselves new challenges that take us out of our comfort zone. Life is growth.”

Life is growth, as long as we're not talking about our waistlines! Ha ha ha.

What's great about the quote of the day is that it's perfectly-aligned with what I suggested at the beginning of this challenge:
    ...I was reminded of the importance of setting up a sustainable process rather than a goal.

I really like the idea of enjoying the journey, rather than focusing on the goal, for many aspects of my life. For weight-loss, however, I think I'd rather just enjoy the goal!

Anyway, yesterday was another "win," but maybe a little more challenging with more cravings than I've experienced in a while. If I think carefully about the day, I will note that I was very emotionally "burnt" yesterday. By the time we finished dinner, I was completely drained. We sat to watch a TV show together, and I had a lot of cravings (really for a glass of bourbon) and instead I distracted myself with a cup of tea. Nevertheless, I think that's a good reminder of how much emotional state factors into my ability to stay on-track with my plan.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Both Tuesdays and Wednesdays are tough for me, as it's early out the door for both. I was up 2.4 today, but expect it to be back in range tomorrow. Was UNDER 9 SPOs, and over 107 cal., also drank more water during the night. Whatever!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Down by 1.5 this morning, after being up by 1.5 yesterday, lord but these fluctuations are difficult to understand!
  • Al_Howard
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Down .4
    @cakeman21k Fluctuations can be from not going, or going. ;)
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 40 of the Omer. Today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“If you seek to change someone, make sure that you are willing to help them when they need your help, defend them when they need your defense, and see the good in them, not just the bad.”

I was again "on-my-plan" as-intended yesterday. This marks the end of another solid week (weekdays, anyway) of "wins." I feel like I've really made good progress at shaking out my evening snacking/drinking habit. I wouldn't claim to be "cured," but at least it's not a white-knuckle experience every night!

I was "rewarded" with a 0.6 pound GAIN. Ugh. As noted above, fluctuations...fluctuations...fluctuations. I think I'm trending generally lower, but it is a little disappointing not to see the scale showing me a loss from Friday-to-Friday. I'll just keep with it, and assume that the scale is still just lagging. In another week or two, if I'm not seeing more objective progress, I'm going to have to take a more careful look at my intake, I guess. Nevertheless, I'm finding it hard to imagine that I need to reduce my intake even more.

Today's quote is again an interesting one. We (GOAD) have generally frowned on the idea of seeing to change folks, and so this quote starts off a little bit misaligned with my view. However, there are certainly folks in my own life that I wish I could change, or at least help them to overcome some maladaptive behaviors. It's not that I think I'm so great, but rather that I think they're not able to rise to their fullest potential. The quote suggests (I think) that if you are trying to help someone make some difficult changes, that we have to do it for the right reasons (i.e., see the good in them, rather than just the bad), and we have to be ready to stick by them through thick or thin.

I'll be off-line through Shabbat, so have a great Friday night and Saturday everyone! Plus, an early Happy Mother's Day to the moms here!
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,917 Member
    Options
    I read today’s quote a little differently. I heard an echo of what I’m recalling is an old Japanese proverb that if you save someone’s life, you are responsible for them for the rest of their life.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Recap ... Tues I ate some extra points then white knuckle to STOP! Wed I didn't give a fig. Ate into the red (past weeklies) and did not care! On the bright side, I tracked and it wasn't mindless 🤷🏼‍♀️. Thurs was a two meal day with 9 DPs left. The reason, I decided to deal with my exhaustion in a different way and took a 2 hour nap (much easier to not eat when I'm asleep). Still slept great last night and today I ate DPs but no WPs, and I feel good. Back in some control without the struggle! Exercise has not been stellar, and WI was up a bit, but I made it thru a rough week w/o too much damage.

Tomorrow is the littles' soccer games, errands, and the infamous cottage 😳. Dinner and bfast are low point and in my control. Son is cooking dinner for mom's day and it is manageable, just need to keep it all low, no grazing, and I'll have room for a small piece of turtle cheesecake 😍. Also planning on taking a walk in the woods. And I will be mindful! And I need to stick with my plan so that I can reach my destination!

• Al_Howard
    Options
    Down 1.2#. Trying to keep the evening snacking in check.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Yesterday was day 41, and today is day 42 of the Omer. Yesterday's and today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

"Listening is the greatest gift we can give to another human being.”

“Don’t wait for the world to get better. Take the initiative yourself. The world is waiting for you."

My Shabbat eating was well within control on Friday night and Saturday. There were (of course) desserts and wine (and even a couple of "pre-Shabbat-beers"), but in the grand scheme of things, it was pretty moderate. Plus, I saw a lower number on the scale this morning than it showed on Friday morning (which almost never happens). Perhaps most importantly, I didn't sit on the couch last night and simply work my way through the leftover wine! I poured a glass of bourbon, took a couple of sips, and then decided that I really didn't want it! Again, that almost never happens.

Glad to hear everyone else seems to be doing well. @Al_Howard is on a roll for sure!

I like both quotes from the weekend. They're pretty straightforward, and oh so true!

Happy Mother's Day to the moms out there!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Down another 0.8# this morning. Am "keep on working the systems".
  • cakeman21k
    Options
    Up by 1 from 2 days ago, but that was due to an oversized meal at a birthday dinner with my niece & nephew (was probably worse yesterday morning bu I did not want to know)
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Even today. Am over and under day. Over 73 cal., under 1 SP. Also no exercise, back/hip pain.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 43 of the Omer. Today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Never define yourself as a victim. There is always a choice, and by exercising the strength to choose, we can rise above fate.”

I really like today's quote. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. Regardless of whether things are completely in your control or not, you have the ability to decide how to respond. This viewpoint has really helped me over the years, particularly during times where it seemed that things were crumbling around me!

Yesterday wasn't bad, but I did end up having some bourbon in the evening (for Mother's Day--we were playing a funny game over Zoom with our kids, and I find myself "funnier" when I've had a couple of drinks beforehand/during). I did manage to avoid the snacking that usually comes along for the ride, but it was surprisingly tough! I guess that's what happens when you're a little disinhibited. :wink:

Past that, my plan continues. I already know that Thursday night will be more challenging, because were having a few guests over to participate in a local Zoom-based fundraiser. There will be meals provided by the fundraiser (to eat at home with our guests), and I'm sure there will be some alcohol involved, too. I haven't fully decided how to manage this, but I think the simple approach of "participate in moderation" will be a guiding plan.
  • cakeman21k
    Options
    Today is weigh in at WW day. I expect to be down about .5 I will post more after I get back.