Should I ditch this program for HIIT?

Options
John1610
John1610 Posts: 31 Member
Hi, I have recently started c25k and had planned on starting week 4 tomorrow. I am thoroughly enjoying it, however my main objective is weight loss instead of improving my endurance.

I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding whether I should give up on c25k and start a HIIT training program, such as this one: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

I would probably regret not finishing the program, but I may have lost enough weight not to care!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Why would you give something up you are enjoying?

Losing weight is 60% nutrition, 30% exercise, and 10% genetic. So if you are at a calorie deficit and you are sticking to it, then you will lose weight, even if you don't do anything. You are only in week 4, if you were expecting weight loss in 8 weeks like the page you provided then you are going to be in for a big suprise. Never trust anything that says "Get a body builders body in 8 weeks." or "Get a tight core in 4." I hate to tell you, but unless you already have your body fat % down, it won't happen. Even P90X and Insanity are misleading. Don't get me wrong, they work but not as fast as the infomercials claim. And most "success" stories are from people who have done several rounds of each program.

Don't get me wrong, HIIT is great as a form of cross-training, but don't give up the running. Besides, it always makes me laugh seeing the guys who can bench press a steer but can't run a mile.
  • John1610
    Options
    thanks for the reply! I guess I should stick to c25k then, and maybe look to work on HIIT once I finish the program.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Finish C25k and then incorporate HIIT into your off days. My husband does both.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give it up, especially if you have a problem w endurance. Wouldn't you rather learn HOW to run so that you can continue doing it, not just to lose weight, but to stay healthy? Even you said that you may regret not finishing it.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do both!

I'd follow the C25K as written, add in HIIT on off days (probaby 3 days a week). When you are done with C25K, you can decide how to mix it up.
  • John1610
    Options
    thanks for the advice, I'l definitely stick to c25k!
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I mostly lurk in this group because I never did more than the first day of C25K. I started doing HIIT in January and running in May. Turns out that all my HIIT workouts had increased my stamina so much that C25K was a little slow for where I was (not wholly beneficial as I promptly gave myself shin splints because I decided on the second day to run as far as I could make it without dying and it turned out to be farther than my calves could handle!). Since even a 15 minute HIIT workout is excellent for endurance and stamina you could likely do a short HIIT workout on C25K recovery days. You might even find that the HIIT helps you get through C25K a little more easily.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I mostly lurk in this group because I never did more than the first day of C25K. I started doing HIIT in January and running in May. Turns out that all my HIIT workouts had increased my stamina so much that C25K was a little slow for where I was (not wholly beneficial as I promptly gave myself shin splints because I decided on the second day to run as far as I could make it without dying and it turned out to be farther than my calves could handle!). Since even a 15 minute HIIT workout is excellent for endurance and stamina you could likely do a short HIIT workout on C25K recovery days. You might even find that the HIIT helps you get through C25K a little more easily.

I read once that the average healthy adult can run themselves into an injury on their first run. Pacing yourself is a critical first step.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply! I guess I should stick to c25k then, and maybe look to work on HIIT once I finish the program.
    This is exactly what I would recommend. Get your cardio built up so that you can do an intense HIIT training which will bring up your speed. If you are not used to running, and cardio in general, then HIIT will be a bad place to start (in my humble opinion).