First Dr's Appt.

Options
ZhivagosGirl
ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
Hello,

Had my first bariatric doctor's appt on the 13th. There was a lot to process. The biggest thing is switching from the sleeve to the bypass. The doctor felt that with the amount of GERD/reflux I have it was unwise to consider doing the sleeve. So I'm working on wrapping my head around that. (It also costs $5,000 more, I'm self pay)

I was given a laundry list of appts I have to have, psych eval, nutritionist, cardiac clearance, EGD, upper GI - among other things before the actual procedure. I did get the cardiac clearance - so hooray for that. Now we are waiting to hear from the insurance company about the EGD and upper GI so we can schedule those. I'm coming to the conclusion that the overriding theme of all of this is "hurry up and wait." I'm trying to be patient but I've wanted this for so long and now that I'm finally sitting on go it's hard not to get restless.

Nervous and excited to be here,
Lara

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a big price difference that must be why the sleeve is so popular!! But I know someone who had severe gerd and they had the bypass as well and almost completely fixed now they only suffer from heartburn a few times a month instead of the severe issue!

Hopefully you clear all your others :)
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have my surgeon consult scheduled!! looks like things are moving right along. I need to go through all my paperwork and make sure it is all in order. My appointment is 4 weeks away, and surgery will be at least 2+ weeks after that, so I'm sure that part will go quick.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 6/14 I also had really bad acid reflux. I’m hoping the sleeve won’t make it worse. But it was a chance I was willing to take. Good luck!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    I was sleeved on 6/14 I also had really bad acid reflux. I’m hoping the sleeve won’t make it worse. But it was a chance I was willing to take. Good luck!

how have you progressed since your surgery? how is the acid reflux? i have that as well, so I'm curious what my surgeon suggests for type of surgery. Good luck to you!!
  • dukesduchess350
    dukesduchess350 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about the excitement and anxiousness. With the nice laundry list that you have to complete it took me 8 months to actually have my bypass surgery. I just had it completed at the beginning of this month. So far since surgery i have not had any gerd issues and i had pretty bad gerd/reflux.