Dealing with lows

Options
judyvalentine10
judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
Good morning. After years of being diabetic, it seems I may need a refresher. I when I get low reading, if it's right before my meal, I just eat my meal and test again a bit after and all is good.
If it's just out of the blue when I feel the symptoms, I drink some juice and wait for it go get back up there.
So, if it returns to normal after my meal, do I still take my insulin based on the carbs in my meal, or do I skip the insulin and wait until my next meal?
This has always confused me a bit, but lately it really weighs on my mind.
Thanks for your insights.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about taking insulin and the rules for that, but I bet someone does. It would "seem" as if the point is keeping blood glucose within range, but maybe there is more involved.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I don't count protein as 1/2 carbs when I use my insulin. Didn't know we were supposed to. I know we can subtract the fibre from the total carbs, but I never do. I am assuming the CGM is one of those fancy smancy things you stick on your arm to check your glucose level? I can't use them because I have an allergy to adhesive, and I would just end up with an annoying rash. I am what they call Type 3C. I have diabetes because a gallstone removal procedure went terribly wrong in 2013. They nicked my pancreas, which then got infected and I had necrotizing pancreatitis before they were able to sorta get the infection under control. At the time, 50% of my pancreas died off and was drained into a gross bag on the side of my hip. I am now down to 10% of a working pancreas and chronic pancreatitis.
    Anyhew, I'll continue taking my insulin with my carb count.
    Thanks so much.