looking for ...

s_shortridge
s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
I joined this group a million years ago. But am stumbling back into groups because I am just looking for more MFP friends to help motivate me and to help motivate someone else.

We have been doing a nutrient dense keto / clean keto / paleo(ish) keto for 3+ years. No cheats, meaning ... never went back to refined or added sugars, never went back to grains. By choice. We started keto for health reasons and continue for health reasons. In the beginning my husband lost 77 lbs and me around 44. We have gained some back, not bad, but really, I do not care. For the first time in my life, spent 1.5 years eating what I want, when I want and never feeling guilty ever, because all the food we ate was healthy and had nutrition.

My husband dropped his A1C from 9.7 to 4.5 in the first 3 months never to go back up. He reversed neuropathy that had started. He is 60 years old and on no meds with no health issues. So for him his lifestyle is a winner and he continues it without any pushing from me. It is all him.

Me ... I have mastocytosis ... think "boy in a bubble" type disease. Most people like me take truckloads of Big Pharma meds. Keto + herbal supplements allow me to stabilize myself without meds for the most part. I take an occasional anti inflammatory when the weather changes or something triggers a flare. But for all intensive purposes I am pretty proud of my health. I reversed/rid myself of constant migraines, failing joints, and chronic daily pain. So for me ... keto is a winner.

I have been tracking the last week or so and would like to keep it up for 4 months or so at least I would like to lose 10 - 20 lbs to see if that will help a few lingering minor health issues. I am also trying to give up my 3rd cup of daily coffee because I tend to have a rapid heartrate and slightly higher diastolic pressure, barely, but it bothers me.

All our meat comes from Butcher Box, so it is all organic, pasture raised, and sustainable. Most all our veggies comes from our garden or a local organic farm. I do not eat much dairy because it causes in me ... inflammation. Not allergic to it, or even sensitive, it just doesn't like me. Don't eat many eggs because I am mildly allergic to the yolks and also sensitive to them and sometimes they make my lips swell. Sometimes.

Anyway ... this was longer then I meant it to be. Just looking for logging mates. So if you are looking for one too? :-D

Replies

• txkajun263
    txkajun263 Posts: 54 Member
    Good for you! I hope you find a log mate, and even more, I hope the act of you posting this triggers enough motivation and inspiration within you to to fight for what you want and need. I know you've inspired me this morning.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    I read your post last night, and have thought of it since. I too am inspired. I'm struggling at the moment, with food choices/a somewhat stuck weightloss journey (I am down about 100lbs since this time last year), and a significant injury awaiting surgery if this pandemic ever ends. Elective (ie not emergency) surgeries are not taking place in Ontario, Canada yet - haven't been for over a year. So I feel a bit lost on my journey at the moment.

Though I've been largely avoiding grains - I'm vegetarian, so not keto - though there are some principles I largely agree with.

Anyway - where I am going with this long-winded post is I don't think I would be a great logging mate - but you have inspired me to open up my thinking a bit further and to further explore my food choices / diet.

Thank you!

I hope you and your husband keep benefiting from this path of wellness that you are travelling!
  • s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    And I am not necessarily looking for keto people. To me ... everyone's journey is their own for sure. I was vegetarian and then vegan in my 20s due to joint pain and it helped some ... but then I started working out a lot and it was weird ... I needed the meat. I have always tried to have a clean diet regardless even before it became more mainstream.

Honestly we went keto because it was my husband's idea. He listened to a guy on the Roaddog Trucking channel that was pro keto for truckers to help them lose weight and get healthy. He weighed 320 lbs. There were so many stories about people getting rid of diabetes that my husband was like "I want to try this". So I said I would for a month. I knew people in my past who did LCHF and all they ate was meat and eggs and they were cranky pants. But we were already close we ate very little sugar and very little grains ... so it wasn't a huge stress. And a clean keto meant veggies for us. Lots of them. So once my migraines went away and the daily pain was going away ... I was like "I could do this for 2 months". And my compulsive eating went away and my energy went way up and my mind starting thinking better. So then I was like "we could do this for 3 months, lol" ... and my husband's sugar was perfect and his mood was better and he has scoliosis and his inflammation went away ... so we just kept on because when I was " low sugar and some grains, plus potatoes often and beans often, you know ... all those starches ... the pain just wouldn't go away completely. I don't want my old life back. I love being able to look at a crunchy apple fritter and thinking ... they tasted good but nah, not worth it.

Anyway ... I really just appreciate people who eat clean no matter what their philosophy. Even in my own circle of friends, like in our religious circle ... most people think WE are nuts, yet they are the ones eating big macs and fries and wondering why their sugar is 496, their legs may get chopped off, their blood pressure is up, their pain is crazy, and yet we are the crazy ones. So we just try and lead by example ... again people have to do what is best for them.

Thank you guys for the kind words for sure!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Anyway ... I really just appreciate people who eat clean no matter what their philosophy. Even in my own circle of friends, like in our religious circle ... most people think WE are nuts, yet they are the ones eating big macs and fries and wondering why their sugar is 496, their legs may get chopped off, their blood pressure is up, their pain is crazy, and yet we are the crazy ones. ...

I remember reading many moons ago, when I stopped eating meat: "Why is becoming a vegetarian is considered radical - yet open heart surgery is not"

• realfoodKB
    realfoodKB Posts: 2 Member
    I'm keto for health reasons too, although I'm trying to expand back to low-carb (<75g/day).