Great Dr visit today

Options
MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,448 Member
Long story. But the important details are:
Medical neglect from a certain doctor led me to not have symptoms taken seriously for some time.

Woke up in early February unable to feel my toes. Yikes. My A1C was 9.2. Dang it.

My husband has been diabetic for decades, so I knew what had to be done. I restarted SparkPeople (let’s all observe a moment of silence) and got serious with the NuStep. Increased my exercise from 30 minutes half the days to anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes every day.

And I got very very very strict at counting every bite I ate.

Not only have I dropped 30 lbs in three months, my A1C is now 5.7!
My doctor actually said she showed it to her nurses before my appointment because, as she told them “You’re probably never going to see a drop like that again!”
Which I took as a sincere compliment.

I’ll be keeping on this path until I hit goal weight, and after that? I’ll happily add a few extra carbs a day to maintain.

😇

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    w00t! This is all great progress. You are doing something that is working for you. For me the logging and carb counting is the key...
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Thanks so much! It really was a good day.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for all your success. You took the bull by the horns and got the job done. Keep up the good work!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Just doing what needed to be done.

And proving to the doctors that I’m not fat because I’m lazy. I’m fat because I have something going on that they needed to pay attention to, not ignore me. Which is what happened and why I’m diabetic now.
  • Anny25087
    Anny25087 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to you!! That is truly inspirational.
    I have just gotten my eating correct but struggle big time with being disciplined in exercising... need to be accountable.
    Well done to you :-)
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Anny25087 wrote: »
    I have just gotten my eating correct but struggle big time with being disciplined in exercising... need to be accountable.
    What would help you be accountable for exercising? Should we start a thread here?

I can tell you one of my tricks. I like to exercise at night. Which means if I’m not careful I can wait too long and then it’s like, 2 AM (I am a night owl but that’s too late even for me) and I hadn’t noticed and then it’s too late.

So. I have three alarms set on my phone. The first One is 10 PM. And it’s a nice gentle sound. Then another alarm with the same sound at 10:15. And an alarm at 10:30 with an obnoxious sound.

Works like a charm. 😁
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    What would help you be accountable for exercising? Should we start a thread here?

I can tell you one of my tricks. I like to exercise at night. Which means if I’m not careful I can wait too long and then it’s like, 2 AM (I am a night owl but that’s too late even for me) and I hadn’t noticed and then it’s too late.

So. I have three alarms set on my phone. The first One is 10 PM. And it’s a nice gentle sound. Then another alarm with the same sound at 10:15. And an alarm at 10:30 with an obnoxious sound.

Works like a charm. 😁

Unlike you MargaretYokada, I like to walk during the day. However, if it's too freakin hot, I can't manage it. I don't do well in the heat. So, if I don't get it done first thing in the morning when it's cool, I don't do it. This has lead to weight gain and higher A1C. I like your idea of the alarms. I''m going to give that a shot for morning exercise, before the heat. Congrats again on your successes,.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

Works like a charm. 😁

Unlike you MargaretYokada, I like to walk during the day. However, if it's too freakin hot, I can't manage it. I don't do well in the heat. So, if I don't get it done first thing in the morning when it's cool, I don't do it. This has lead to weight gain and higher A1C. I like your idea of the alarms. I''m going to give that a shot for morning exercise, before the heat. Congrats again on your successes,.

How’s it going? Have you had more success with exercising?
  • judyvalentine10
    Options

Works like a charm. 😁

How’s it going? Have you had more success with exercising?

Not at all! I did do a very slow 5K's. I had an angioplasty in July. They had to put two stents in my right coronary artery to correct and 80% blockage. The doctor feels that that may have affected my difficulties getting my exercise in. So, I am walking three times a week, at least one bike ride. And, I start an exercise program with the Ottawa Heart Institute in October. In the meantime, I carry a nitro spray whenever I go out.