Swimsuits

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
What kind of swimsuits do y'all wear? I'm stuck between a classic one piece or a skirt/top combo or board shorts and a top. Not sure what to get.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, this is a tough one for me, but for reasons that won't generalize to others: I'm post bilateral mastectomies (no reconstruction), and I don't like wearing prostheses, especially when doing active things like swimming.

I end up with a one-piece suit with a relatively high neckline and closer armholes, so I don't share scars with the world. I can't do a two-piece: You know how they ride up on tiny toddler girls so they become almost a fabric necklace, because there's nothing up top to keep the suit from creeping upward? That happens to me, too. Tank styles usually have too-big armholes, besides, so they gape.

So, one piece. I've had good luck with the Land's End mastectomy suits, which have prothesis pockets but they're lightweight fabric so OK with nothing in the pocket, and the cut is good. (Lands End has a nice range of suits for lots of body types, BTW, not just the mastectomy types, and a bunch of two-piece mix & match combos with different cuts/styles in coordinating colors.)

Since I'm not doing the full Brazilian thing, just shaving as best able, I'll often slip some swim shorts or skirt over the suit to hide any errant stubble.

I don't swim much, but needed a suit, because rowers have to practice swimming sometimes. Buying a new swimsuit was one of the most traumatic shopping needs post weight loss. (I dislike all clothes shopping, and this is extra hard.) I'm glad that happened back when I could try on things, because I had no idea what size to buy, and the specifics of cut matter so much on my body. Ugh.

Good luck!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,843 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I'm not a beach kinda gal, except at our cabin where I can hang around with a floaty toy on the lake without another person in sight. At the cabin I wear a tankini top and regular bathing suit bottom. At the pool when doing lengths or deep water running classes I like the one piece sports type bathing suits by TYR.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Swimsuit shopping gives me anxiety and makes me feel awful. It's a little better now that I'm older and gives fewer #%$*& about what people think but I still hate it!
  • janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Tough one. I never ever felt good in a swim suit. Now, I kind of agree with the above post. I just want to be comfortable and look appropriate. I try not to care what others think. But, when I see someone who looks good I still get that knot in my stomach and feel "less than"...
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the opportunity to wear a swimsuit for a while. However, next Wednesday, I will be moving to an apartment complex that has a nice swimming pool. I will be trying on a couple of swimsuits that I bought last year. One is a regular one piece style and one has the little skirt thing. I'm thinking I'll be starting with the skirt style. B)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've bought suits from Lands end for years. My latest was on sale and it's a 2 PC with a skirt on bottom and a full top (I think it's a takinini top). I'm bigger on top so this works for me. They also have suits with and without underwires.

In the past I've worn board shorts and a different top. The board shorts are super comfy.

Swimsuits suck. No matter your age or size.
  • Joyfulandactive
    Joyfulandactive Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Magicsuit Bianca Swim Romper is extremely flattering. It looks like a cute romper and you can swim in it. Not cheap but well worth the $$. You can find it in various colors around the internet but at Everything but the Water they have it in olive green and grey
    https://www.everythingbutwater.com/products/magicsuit/magic-solids/6006057e/bianca-surplice-swim-romper/93221
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a swim short/skirt combo and a tank top with runched sides from Modli. I wear a larger top size than bottom, so getting two pieces was helpful. They offer a wide range of modest styles. I am happy with the purchase.