July 10 Sign In

Options
124»

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,099 Member
    Options
    @Bovaryoo - Apart from the kayaking, and the chickens, they sound good to me. Especially like the Lego models.
    @snowshoe072 - 😍 The Rapids photo, but agree that you need to be careful around these places.
    @_JeffreyD_ - You are allowed to indulge on Birthdays. I'm planning a pass day tomorrow for a family celebration of grandson's 18th. 😂 Love Inktober, and the house model competition.
    @DebyS137 - Brava for staying on track during your son's visit.
    @biketheworld - I had the same problem when I started listing my hobbies.
    @RangerRickL - I think we are both very lucky to be able to enjoy our lives with a loved and loving partner. I hope you and Rose spend many more years on that tandem bike.

It's been so interesting to read about all the different hobbies we have.

I've been retired since end of 2002. I thoroughly recommend it. It has given me the freedom to follow my many interests without hindrance. After a short while I began to wonder how on Earth I ever had time to work at a full-time job.

💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Everyone's hobbies sound captivating! As for me, I don't consider myself a "Runner" therefore running is a meditative practice and something I'll call a hobby (aka something I do in my leisure time for pleasure).
    As I was finishing up grad work last Spring - at the start of the pandemic - I was also finishing up on some mental health visits as I was again convinced that I needed a depression diagnosis (and, once again, I didn't get it but that's a whole other story for another day).

The psychiatrist and I came to the topic of hobbies. In short, she encouraged me to get one...

Doctor: What are your interests? What have you always wanted to try?
    Me: Well, I have a plan to learn cello with a music school teacher that comes to people's homes. And there are sign language courses. Oh, and...
    Doctor: Those things require you to study. Studying is a large part of what's stressing you right now. What do you want to do that doesn't require learning a new skill?
    Me: 😶

So, yeah, running is what I'll call a hobby. I learned how to do that a while ago lol

(But also, is it just me or doesn't everything require knowledge acquisition at SOME point? Like, you gotta learn it to do it. Anywhooo...)

I funded my hobby this weekend with my first pair of new runners in 18 months. These ones are mostly ORANGE 😍 connect to an app and track all sorts of nonsense.

r2diqiwb0hnd.jpg

Speaking of which...

---|---|---|--
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? YES | Walk (82), Run (15) TOTAL: 97
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? YES | *Base + 132
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? YES
    ---|---|---|---
    *NOTE: Only counting running calories

Personal Bonus: Did I meet my protein macro for the day (40%)? NO | 28%
    Pass Days Used:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for participating & for your kind comments!

To answer a few of the questions… “Is X a hobby?” Whatever brings you joy & you call a hobby IS a hobby!!

I hope folks got new ideas, reaffirmed their current or former pastimes, and feel like they know one another better!

I find having hobbies actually encourages me to innovate to find ways to maintain my weight & fitness more easily and/or efficiently!! That will give me more time for fun stuff!!!!!

All My Best,
    🌸Maddie

Thank you to @TerriRichardson112 for her comments, encouragement, and modeling of a self-actualized retiree!

Many thanks to everyone who has commented, responded, or otherwise contributed to another’s post in July!! We have Avery special community!

If anyone ever wants suggestions for other art/craft activities, please post, as many of us have explored quite a few & will be happy to share! 🎉👏🌸
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    July 10, 2021

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Going "nuts" with nuts today? Yes :( (8 days-free )
    (I go "nuts" with nuts most times, trying to continue a good habit this month. Counting the number of "nuts" free days.)

Pass day 1/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).

@victorious55 great idea with going nut free!! I thought of u the other day as i had a small amount of nuts the other day and literally got the shock of my life wen i tracked the calories. I always knew that nuts were fatty but omg after seeing just how much i dnt think ill ever touch them again. Ha ha!!!

Nuts are my weak points or trigger. So, I am working on it. I want to learn to enjoy it without going 'NUTS" :)
    Because the end result does not favor me.
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea The shoes look great :) Now 10km under 60 min is not a problem ;)
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes

Interesting question. I feel like I am one that has often struggled to find time and energy for hobbies but some of that has changed over the past year. I am starting to explore this area of my life more. I bought myself an electronic piano keyboard at the end of last year and am teaching myself how to play. I have zero music talent or ability but I enjoy it nonetheless. And much of what I do comes through my interaction with my family. I used to read but rarely read for pleasure anymore however I have an informal book club with my adult sons. And now that I have a grandchild, I strive for ways to introduce creativity into her life. So many of my activities in my life are guided by interactions with my family.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Went for a nice long walk on a rail trail with my husband and son. A little warm, but overall a BEAUTIFUL day.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Nope. I was doing ok, but feel went off in the evening.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No.

Pass Day 2
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,215 Member
    Options
    JULY 10

Exercised: Yes - BodyPump class - it's been a while too...so sore!!!
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

0/3 Pass Days Used
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Slow to post - a 3 yes day with 4.7 mile beach walk
  • oh_jackie
    oh_jackie Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    JUL 10 - Pass day
    T ✅ | C ❎ | E ✅ [2:20 h walk]
    @MadisonMolly2017 What a great topic to get to know the UAC members better!

@MaltedTea I love your pink running gear (as you might have guessed from my picture^^) 😍 However, I would not be able to keep light-coloured shoes looking clean for very long!

I have always loved baking and started taking online classes last year. In addition to following a very active lifestyle, the instructors say that they make small desserts and gift them to acquaintances or neighbours after tasting a bite. :)

https://youtu.be/lxUR823SRbA
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    oh_jackie wrote: »
    JUL 10 - Pass day
    T ✅ | C ❎ | E ✅ [2:20 h walk]
    @MadisonMolly2017 What a great topic to get to know the UAC members better!

@MaltedTea I love your pink running gear (as you might have guessed from my picture^^) 😍 However, I would not be able to keep light-coloured shoes looking clean for very long!

I have always loved baking and started taking online classes last year. In addition to following a very active lifestyle, the instructors say that they make small desserts and gift them to acquaintances or neighbours after tasting a bite. :)

https://youtu.be/lxUR823SRbA

Thank you @oh_jackie !
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @oh_jackie what a great idea about re-gifting your baked goods to friends/neighbors! :love:
  • JennyRebecca1978
    JennyRebecca1978 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    July 10:

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Nope. Road trip day.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Nope.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Nope.

Pass days used: 2/3, including today.

Hobbies: At the moment, I do not have any. I work too much. As I get back into shape, however, I have a goal to restart my favorite childhood hobby: tap. I was a national champion at ages 9 and 10, and I had the opportunity to join a professional tap company at 18. But, my parents convinced me I would never be able to pay my own bills, and so I gave up tap and just focused on dance team through college. I recently bought new shoes and a tap board!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

Hobbies: At the moment, I do not have any. I work too much. As I get back into shape, however, I have a goal to restart my favorite childhood hobby: tap. I was a national champion at ages 9 and 10, and I had the opportunity to join a professional tap company at 18. But, my parents convinced me I would never be able to pay my own bills, and so I gave up tap and just focused on dance team through college. I recently bought new shoes and a tap board!

Oh man! You *go*, girl!!!!! Tap on!