July 9 Sign In

Options
124»

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    thabit11 wrote: »
    @SummerSkier 😂 I know 😂😂 not even a minor celebration doesn't have at least a cake!! It's hard to even imagine.

@lesdarts180 you're probably on spot with calories, or a little under. That's what I believe after reading your posts before 🤗.

@WhatMeRunning great efforts so far this month 💪💪💪 and may you have an even better days for the rest of the month.

In some days, I completely understand the so "no interest" in food, I would set with my family and they would pass around chips, chocolate, cake and ice cream, yeah all of that, and not to mention dinner, but I won't care even with their continues invitations to eat. On the other hands, some other days, I just feel huge temptations to eat, and most of the times I lose to such temptations. I'm still figuring out what best for me and how to conquer my craving.

@thabit11 Very well said! I read your post and said OMG, this is exactly ME! :lol Some days I do really well, and have even been able to be around high carb foods and/or sweets, cake, ice cream, donuts, etc - and can keep my resolve... other days it seems like I have NO inner fortitude whatsoever! I'm having trouble determining what makes the difference.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    July 9, 2021

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Going "nuts" with nuts today? No (8 days-free )
    (I go "nuts" with nuts most times, trying to continue a good habit this month. Counting the number of "nuts" free days.)

Pass day 0/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    9th July
    Posted bits about food and my Mum, but forgot to post my 3 × Yes.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 - Your post in response to Mrs_Hoffer intrigues me. I’ve been running in the mornings due to the heat (normally an evening runner) and find myself starving all day on those days. I do normally eat most of my calories in the evening, and I find some days it snowballs into the next day or two if I end the day too hungry. I am curious how paying attention to the rolling deficit, as you mentioned above, would help.
    More things to track in Excel 😎🤓
    Thanks for this. ❤️
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    interesting. I eat pretty much to TDEE - try to level load across the week based on activity. I find that doing a LARGE workout in the morning depresses my appetite to the point I could skip breakfast if I wanted. When I take a rest day I find I am actually HUNGRIER during the day. I don't know if that's a lag and the hunger is from the workout the days prior or whether it is just how I am wired. My hunger cues and satiaty ones have been broken since I was a teenager so I log. ;)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @SummerSkier - No way I could know, but your metabolism may more easily become fat adapted which would trigger during a fasted run and keep your appetite suppressed even after the workout. If your body struggles becoming fat adapted and primarily relies on blood sugar and glycogen as root sources for muscle energy then you'll feel that crash and need to refuel. Unless you have trained your metabolism to be flexible it tends to remain reliant on one system, which for just about everyone is sourced from glucose.

Technically even fat adapted folks get their fuel from glycogen and thereby glucose, but obtains it by converting fat.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    This is really fascinating.
    @SummerSkier - No way I could know, but your metabolism may more easily become fat adapted which would trigger during a fasted run and keep your appetite suppressed even after the workout. If your body struggles becoming fat adapted and primarily relies on blood sugar and glycogen as root sources for muscle energy then you'll feel that crash and need to refuel. Unless you have trained your metabolism to be flexible it tends to remain reliant on one system, which for just about everyone is sourced from glucose.

Technically even fat adapted folks get their fuel from glycogen and thereby glucose, but obtains it by converting fat.

So, does this explain why after I run a half marathon, I force myself to eat something because I know my body needs to refuel but it’s hours later before I feel hungry. Same if I spend all day on a bike. I carry stuff for energy, or stop at a farmers market for a piece of fruit, but I’m never starved. I always wonder how some thin people can be ravenous in the middle of a run while I force myself to eat something but don’t feel hungry. So then it seems like it would be better to be fat adapted, wouldn’t it?
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 @SummerSkier and @WhatMeRunning thanks for the INVALUABLE advice (as always!) Like @mshawski this gives me a great deal to figure out about MYSELF! Many thanks for always sharing your wisdom and insight!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld it's quite a subject, check around for "metabolic flexibility". I don't want to offer up any "expertise" on it as I'm familiar with it only in terms of researching ketosis among endurance athletes.

But in a nutshell, we're basically all raised with lots of carbs for all our years so our metabolism never uses it's ketogenic capabilities and simply expects carbs for fuel at all times and must be trained to use fat, thus all the difficult training for endurance events to adapt your muscles to using fat for fuel as much as possible between carb refuelings.

If undergo endurance training long enough, or do something like intermittent fasting or ketosis on a somewhat regular basis alongside going back to carbs, you develop a flexible metabolism that will switch when needed, allowing you to go longer without having to load back up on carbs. It also means you're burning more fat during your workouts than if you are not fat adapted.
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    February 10/3
    March 12/3
    April 10/3
    May 8/3
    June 6/3

3x yes
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    Oh no
    My SIL called then son and my L o n gggg post is history. :(

Must start using computer

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Went for a nice walk around the resort after arriving for vacation
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes. (barely)
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,215 Member
    Options
    JULY 9

Exercised: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

0/3 Pass Days Used
  • oh_jackie
    oh_jackie Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    JUL 9
    T ✅ | C ✅ | E ✅ [20 min walk]
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,930 Member
    Options
    7/9

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? ✅
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅

Used #2 pass
    1 pass day left

I seriously thought I was posting 😢😢
  • JennyRebecca1978
    JennyRebecca1978 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow! What helpful and insightful comments from this group! Thank you all!

July 9:

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, I got in a 45-minute dance video before we left for our road trip. And, we got a late start because my husband did not cancel his client meetings (as I did), so I was able to eat well!
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

Pass days used: 1/3