What is your Fasting Plan?

Options
ItsTime2BMe
ItsTime2BMe Posts: 163 Member
I learned about fasting a few years ago from watching Michael Mosley's documentary about weight loss - His conclusion (and results) that 5:2 alternate day fasting worked was hard to ignore. I did 5:2 for a few months, lost a bit of weight. Then read his 8 week blood sugar diet book and did that and lost 20 pounds. And then life got in the way and I got derailed (for the 400th time) and gained most of it back.

A couple years later I found the 5:2 book on my shelf and re-read it. And then I read Fung's Obesity Code and I was starting to think I had to make fasting a permanent part of my life. But I *still* didn't do anything about it.

A year later (2021) I finally got some momentum and in April I started using Fung's schedule for 36 or 42 hour fasting. I've tweaked it a bit - and I'll tweak it some more - but I've lost 22 pounds and I'm into 220ville for the first time in 20+ years. And I'm not stopping.

Fasting is the perfect diet for me because it can be summed up in one question - Do I eat today, or not? So simple.
And if I have to tweak it because some family celebration or an impulsive trip to the pizza place, I can easily change my days around.

I've had a few moments where I've almost gotten derailed - last week was tough, I was doing everything right but my weight was up. It's come down a bit but not to where I was 10 days ago. But I'll get there.

I haven't focused much on exercise yet - I'm recovering from an ankle injury from March and a shoulder injury from last year - once those are cleared up I have several exercise/video programs that I can start doing for cardio and strength. Right now I'm mostly just counting my steps and gardening as exercise.

I'm over 60 pounds down since I started SP back in 2013 and I'm feeling confident, finally!, that I've found a plan that I can do for life. It's inconvenient; my family still needs to eat on days when I'm not eating, but I channel my energy into preparing something that will have leftovers that I can enjoy 'tomorrow' when I am eating. This year I've even been revisiting my mother's old dessert recipes once or twice a month, so I'm not feeling 'deprived'.

I'm committed to doing Fung's plan for 6 months, til end of September, and then I'll evaluate where I'm at. Probably I'll just continue but it depends 'where I'm at'. I'd really like to lose another 40 pounds this year (6 months) which would be a little more than 1.5 pounds a week.
I think I can do it! ☀️

Replies

• newpma
    newpma Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I saw an app called fastic advertised on twitter,it had a lot of good reviews so I decided to give it a go then I found Dr Fung and I love my new plan I'm doing 16:8 for now. It just makes sense to me my weight has stabilised and is starting to come down a tiny bit but I'm trying not to focus so much on the scale for now, I feel so much better I have lots of energy I'm eating and drinking what I want to and I'm not exercising anywhere near as much as I used to. Before I was eating at a deficit exercising A LOT and was burned out and miserable most of the time then I'd let everything slide at the weekend because I just couldn't keep it up.
    I really hope this is the way forward for me and maybe this time next year I can be where I want to be (ideally 52 pounds down)
  • lignss
    lignss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ItsTime2BeMe, What you said about simplicity is dead on! My fasting plan is to fast until dinner most days. Sounds crazy and everyone says it is terrible but it is so much easier not to start than it is to eat the correct amount. Simple! I've been doing this for a long time now and my metabolism and body has adapted. I drink plain black coffee and unsweetened sparkling water during the day. I am not sluggish or starving during the day. I do have a very slow metabolism and deliberate, methodical manner/comportment so it is probably easier for me than for others.

My goal (it's not a plan) is to fast completely at least two days a week. Again, I find it is easier to just not eat at all, than it is to try to keep calories low. On the second day, I do start to feel sluggish, but I feel like a million bucks. Weirdest of all, my voice tries to disappear.

I started fasting 25 years ago, as a teenager for spiritual reasons - nothing to do with weight. For me, there is some crossover, even when I'm doing it to lose weight. Fasting is life-changing for me.
  • 1beachwalker
    1beachwalker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've tried out with intermittent fasting Is 12-14 hours. Which 7-8 hours of that's during sleep. I've tried it off and on in the past few years. It does help with weight loss and is good for your body- health wise. Dr. Berg has excellent YouTube videos on fasting and other insightful subjects. I'm inspired to try it again and started it 2 days ago. One pound lost already!!
    I may try to go longer as time goes on. I'm just not good at full day fasting. I'd be the grumpiest person in the world if I did it. I've been told years ago I'm borderline hypoglycemic and I do get the shakes if I don't eat after awhile.

I'm hoping this will speed up my weight loss a bit.
  • ItsTime2BMe
    ItsTime2BMe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I get the shakes (not often) I have a cup of low-cal soup (recipe was from Weight Watchers but it's basically the cabbage soup diet soup) - 1 cup is 45 calories - I can't find the link but 'they say' you can have 50 calories of something and not break your fast. My son (who also does IF) eats a pickle or two if he wants something low cal and crunchy.
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,113 Member
    Options
    For me, I am eating lunch with DH and by 3pm, I will start fasting.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I fast a minimum of 12 hours per day, but usually between 14 and 16 hours per day. I used to fall on and off fasting until I decided to just stick with a minimum of 12 hours per day. It keeps me compliant!

I have been eating junk carbs since my brother passed. I am having a good day today though, and ate a more protein today.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Options
    I fast from either 6PM or earlier until 7 or 8 the next morning. I do drink reds and greens to aid in digestion and for my tummy health.
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options

My Healthy Diet Plan

I am Sticking with Ketosis 20-25 carbs ... along with Low Calories 1000-1200 calories.... and I am sticking with the IF diet ...only eating 11-7 (or a 16/8 plan that may be adjusted)

When it appears I am stuck for a few weeks... I will do a 5-2 fasting (2 days of 500-600 cal.) until I have lost 5 more lbs....

I tried the IF diet back in 2018... right off the start I saw a Positive Difference in my digestive problems
    I no longer have acid Reflux at night or stomach problems... I am Definitely sticking with this time line
    when I reach my goal range

~ ⚖️ ~💕~ 💗 ~💕~ 💟 ~💕~ 💗 ~💕~ ⚖️ ~ 💕 ~ 💗 ~💕~ 💟 ~ 💕 ~ 💗 ~💕~ ⚖️ ~💕~ 💗 ~💕~ 💟 ~💕~ 💗 ~💕~ ⚖️ ~
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am back on track...no junk carbs! Also, had to switch to a low fat diet due to gall bladder concerns. I discontinued Victoza in case the pancreas was involved too, and my doc wanted me off it anyway. Couldn't go to the ER due to all the Covid patients, so I am doing the best I can.

I consume my carbs through fruits and veggies, with a limit if 2 starchy exchanges per day, the occasional grits for example.

My BG has improved a lot! Tracking and daily fasting helps a lot too!

• msk1279
    msk1279 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8/17:7 + vegetarian keto and so far I feel a difference! What about others?
  • primeofmylife2021
    primeofmylife2021 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I typically do a 16/8 fast schedule (Sunrise App), with a calorie goal of 1200 (with a little wiggle room), a 30-40% carb goal, and a 10,000 steps Fitbit goal. I lost 65 pounds before, and easily, but I’ve relaxed this routine and gained back 20 lbs. I’m back on track to take it off again. (Dec. 2021)
    🥑
    I was convinced of the benefits of fasting by watching Dr. Jason Fung videos and then reading books on the subject. Fasting is not starving. Fast for health benefits, but get the side effect of weight loss.
    🧀
  • Mwrarr
    Mwrarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started IF when I was in the early postpartum stage with my last baby. Initially my goal was to make it 6 hours overnight without eating b/c I was exhausted and it felt like I was eating constantly (instinct, I'm sure). I wish I'd found it earlier in my life, b/c I'm convinced it helped me maintain my mental health in that 1st year.

I use the app 'LIFE Fasting' & now aim for a minimum of 12 hr, up to 18 hr. I'm pretty sure that nursing has made it harder for me to do IF for long periods of time. We are working on weaning so after that happens I want to attempt longer fasts. I dabbled in IF (random google searches & reddit were great for info) until I read Fung this summer. It all clicked after that.

Now, if I could only get my DMII spouse on board...

weight.png