End of Day 3 - Brain Fog!

Options
MaizeyMaizey
MaizeyMaizey Posts: 7 Member
Hi, everyone! I'm very new to keto. I have read a lot, but people's personal experience is very valuable to me. I'm having the WORST brain fog. I'm taking potassium, extra sodium, magnesium, daily vitamin, B Complex, and C. I'm eating 20 carbs each day (except for day 1 when I was learning and messed up my carb count by a little). I don't show any signs of being in ketosis, but I have dropped 6 lbs in two days (water and glycogen).
Do y'all have any comments, insights, validation, help, tips to share about brain fog? It's pretty debilitating. I'd appreciate it so much.

Replies

• HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are experiencing that, I have only been doing it for about a month but I have been lucky I never had any bad symptoms. Yes, the water loss is a lot at first, the only thing is you said you you increase your sodium now do you mean regular salt, because I was told to use Himalayan Pink Salt, I'm not sure what the difference would be but I use it & have never experienced brain fog. Are you testing yourself to see if you are in ketosis, I also keep my carbs down to 5% for Keto. There seems to be so many ways to do Keto then there are those who do low carb & that seems to work for some but not for me.
  • txkajun263
    txkajun263 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm very new to keto. I have read a lot, but people's personal experience is very valuable to me. I'm having the WORST brain fog. I'm taking potassium, extra sodium, magnesium, daily vitamin, B Complex, and C. I'm eating 20 carbs each day......

Hi. I am by no means a Keto expert, but I have been doing it since September. Like @HerbsandMore, I didn't experience a lot of negative symptoms at the beginning. I did drink a LOT of water. You mentioned 20 carbs a day. Are you referring to 20 g of carbs or NET Carbs? Keto is about the net carbs.

A friend shared a drink recipe with me that I think has helped me. You can change it up as you like, but you may want to try it. She uses it in between meals or when she's fasting to help replace sodium and water and all that. It also helps me curb hunger a bit and I like to drink it when I still have a few hours before I plan to eat but feel hungry.

Nan's Fasting Drink (her name is Nan, so I named it after her! Don't know where it originated)

12 oz Sparkling Water
    1 - 3 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
    1/4 (one fourth) tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
    1/4 tsb keto approved sweetener, if desired
    1 tsb lemon juice

Notes
    - I started off with 1 tsp of ACV, because I don't like it, even though it is supposed to have lots of benefits. I have since stopped adding it completely. Feel free to play around with the amounts for a while until you get to your own preference.

- I use Lankanto Monk Fruit sweetener, and as you see just a little tiny bit. Add or don't as you prefer.
    - I get a lemon-lime flavored sparkling water by the 12 pack from my grocery store. It matches perfectly with the real lemon juice. There are lots of flavored options out there and probably non-flavored, too
    - How you get the lemon juice is up to you. I don't buy actual lemons. I use Lakewood Organic Fresh Pressed Pure Lemon Juice. It comes in a 12.5 oz glass bottle, and lasts quite a while in the fridge. I like the taste much better than the brands in the little cutesy plastic bottles shaped like lemons.

Again, you can mix and match and play around with the ingredients until you find what suits your taste.

I hope this helps even a little.