Januvia and CGM question

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
Hello, I am in a nutritional ketosis program for type 2 diabetes called Virta. My lab results in the beginning of June were great so the Dr through Virta suggested I stop Januvia, I also take metformin. After I stopped my numbers went south. I was gaining weight, my fasting glucose went from 98 to the 150s. I asked the Dr and he gave me the option of trying to dial it in and seeing if anything changes in a couple weeks, or go back On Januvia for now. Now, my weight is going down again and fasting glucose in 120s. I think my body might be adjusting because I have not changed diet.

I am curious about a continuous glucose monitor. My husband tried the Freestyle Libre so we have the reader. He reversed type 2 diabetes by diet but it is different than keto. He did not have good luck with the CGM. The sensors would wear out early and give strange readings.

I can get a prescription for the CGM, but would have to.pay out of pocket, I am curious how certain foods effect my blood sugar. My husband wants me to save the money and just do finger sticks.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I think the CGM would give some good information about just what your body is doing. Everything is cost-vs-benefit. The question is if the data is worth it. You already have the meter, so maybe that mitigates the cost. Those test strips are not free either.

I have to say keto was like a miracle for me and my diabetes. Good luck!
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'dial it in'? Was your doctor talking about dieting to see if that helps with weight and blood sugar? As for the CGM, because it tests the fluid just under the skin, not your actual blood. I stick with the finger sticks, because I am allergic to adhesive on anything. In my opinion, if Januvia is working for you, go for it. But, I'm not a doctor.
  • lorib642
    Options
    What do you mean by 'dial it in'? Was your doctor talking about dieting to see if that helps with weight and blood sugar? As for the CGM, because it tests the fluid just under the skin, not your actual blood. I stick with the finger sticks, because I am allergic to adhesive on anything. In my opinion, if Januvia is working for you, go for it. But, I'm not a doctor.

Yes, I am on a keto diet and he meant if I could eat low enough carbs to get my glucose back down. Thank you.

I got a voucher for a free 14 day sensor from the freestyle libre site. I am looking at trying it out.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Keep us informed with how it’s going. Please.
  • lorib642
    Options

Thank you. I was able to get a trial 14 day sensor for free. My insurance won’t cover any additional. It is really easy to use. You put it on your skin and hold your phone up to read. It reads interstitial fluid and is lower than my fingerstick readings, especially when my glucose is rising. I am not finding issues with foods, but I do have dawn phenomenon and glucose rises on waking. It gives a graph but it is small.

I am happy that I seem to be adapting to the med change. My readings have been normal. When I stopped januvia, at first they were going up. And, my weight is starting to go back down, I am going to continue without januvia.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

Thank you. I was able to get a trial 14 day sensor for free. My insurance won’t cover any additional. It is really easy to use. You put it on your skin and hold your phone up to read. It reads interstitial fluid and is lower than my fingerstick readings, especially when my glucose is rising. I am not finding issues with foods, but I do have dawn phenomenon and glucose rises on waking. It gives a graph but it is small.

I am happy that I seem to be adapting to the med change. My readings have been normal. When I stopped januvia, at first they were going up. And, my weight is starting to go back down, I am going to continue without januvia.

You were just doing a little adjusting maybe?
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I loved the libra but it was cost prohibitive, with a kid in a private university and just day to day living the extra $170 wasn't worth it to me.