Does anyone drink bulletproof coffee or any type of keto coffee?

Options
JenneauInLA
JenneauInLA Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm about two weeks into the keto diet and my cookbook includes a keto coffee recipe as a daily pre-fast breaking ritual. I was wondering if anyone drinks this and if it's worth it to invest in the MCT oil, or if my coffee with collagen protein is going to provide the same benefits. I'd appreciate any opinions on the subject.

Thanks, everyone.

J.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I drink my first cup of coffee in the morning with HWC. I have never used MCT oil at all. I am all for your giving it a try. You might like it or see results?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I was doing keto, I started with kevlar coffee (my own version) with HWC, CO, and collagen. After awhile I decided it really didn't give me benefits, it just took up my calories that I would have preferred to chew. So I ditched it.
  • JenneauInLA
    Options
    Thanks for your replies--this was helpful : )
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    I drink it every morning, but I don't eat breakfast. I never really ate breakfast but I use to drink 3 cups of coffee in the am, now 1 cup & I am full. You don't have to use MCT oil. You can use Ghee & virgin coconut oil. The only problem I see is if you start your day with a protein hit & no fat, it might be harder to get your body to learn how to burn fat first. It is all a choice I guess, what you find works best for you.
  • JenneauInLA
    Options
    I drink it every morning, but I don't eat breakfast. I never really ate breakfast but I use to drink 3 cups of coffee in the am, now 1 cup & I am full. You don't have to use MCT oil. You can use Ghee & virgin coconut oil. The only problem I see is if you start your day with a protein hit & no fat, it might be harder to get your body to learn how to burn fat first. It is all a choice I guess, what you find works best for you.

My (very) limited experience with coffee + fat until noon (one lg. cup--not steadily until noon!) does seem to provide more energy than a full breakfast of protein and carbs. I can't believe I never tried this until age 41--it really helps, especially if you work out in the morning and need the fuel but don't want to feel heavy when jumping around. I've been using HWC but will try it with ghee to change things up.
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    That's fine I never heard about any of this till I was 66
  • Newwoodland
    Newwoodland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi no, I don’t drink bulletproof coffee. Just decaf coffee with cream and saccharine. Very tasty. I don’t like butter so I do keto without butter and I love it.
  • maria4560h
    maria4560h Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did drink coffee with fat in it. I stopped. First of all it upset my stomach especially because I like working out in the morning. Secondly I gained a lot of weight off it. So even though I wasn’t going to get my appropriate amount of fat for the keto diet anymore without doing this or taking straight up fat well, it’s better than gaining weight regardless. Screw keto if it means I’m going to be obese. When I was doing keto and exercising 3 hours or more a day…3 hours minimum to NOT gain fat. I still wasn’t in ketosis on the diet anyways no matter how hard I tried. The only diet that actually got me in ketosis wasn’t the ketogenic diet in the first place and I could do 2 hours of exercise just fine. That is much more reasonable for me especially since I ride public transit. I forgot it’s name in reality but I learned a lot about the ketogenic diet years ago and didn’t think I was capable of it. Then I stumbled across this cheesy book on a homocysteine diet that lowers that number and is supposed to get rid of various health conditions as a result (a lot of that is bs but it does improve your health). My homocysteine was already low and pretty healthy but I wanted it to be as low as the book wanted it to be so I went through the diet vigorously and went into ketosis. Considering there are a few foods in the diet that contradict the ketogenic diet it did surprise me when I was told by a doctor I was in ketosis. I was asked first if I’m diabetic. No. Am I on the ketogenic diet? Not to my knowledge but possibly. I had to think. Thinking hard enough I could see how it was possible but only due to my exercise burning off what contradicted it. Since I stopped trying the ketogenic diet anymore I have not gained anymore weight. I stopped logging my weight for a while because I was gaining so much. At first I thought it was muscle only. It was a combination of muscle and fat I was gaining due to the ketogenic diet. Now that I stopped it and do basically a low carb diet at the moment I will relearn the other diet by finding the book written by the doctor. That “ketogenic diet book” works for me when the real ketogenic diet books don’t