13»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I’ve been a member of UAC for 3 years, 5 months! April 2018

I’m (one of UAC’s biggest) fans!!

I’ve lost & not re-found 70-75 lbs since September 1, 2018. Three YEARS. It’s still a miracle to me, as I was obese (I called it overweight) since late high school.

I am a former teacher & before that I was an innovation director in a tech company.

I spend my days creating art, learning, gardening (new for us), seeing friends, taking nature hikes, doing the “final” Decluttering pass 🤣, and being as healthy as possible.

I am a big believer in the power of baby habit changes as a way to become healthy so gradually that we “fool our brain” into success.

Happy to help in any way, and welcome aboard!
    🌸Maddie

PS I am a member of the National Weight Control Registry. This was a motivating goal for me. In fact, I waited until I’d maintained 2 years before joining!

If you lose 30lbs and keep it off for at least a year, you can join too (and help with their research as to the Habits of successful maintainers.)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 3 years and not gaining it back! That is wonderful and inspiring!! I am on the other end, back in 2016/2017 I lost 50 pounds, and needless to say, I have gained it all back and unfortunately gained a couple of extra pounds to keep the original 50 company. Ugh.

I am so glad to see you in the group. You have been helpful to me in the past, and I definitely need help going forward. I am starting all over again, so it will be a long journey.

Just wanted to say congrats to you on 3 years. That is inspiring!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 3 years and not gaining it back! That is wonderful and inspiring!! I am on the other end, back in 2016/2017 I lost 50 pounds, and needless to say, I have gained it all back and unfortunately gained a couple of extra pounds to keep the original 50 company. Ugh.

I am so glad to see you in the group. You have been helpful to me in the past, and I definitely need help going forward. I am starting all over again, so it will be a long journey.

Just wanted to say congrats to you on 3 years. That is inspiring!

Thank you @KCJen; that really means a lot to me. I remember you fondly!

I lost & immediately gained more times than I can remember, but I decided “Not this time; no matter what it takes…”

When I began 1/1/16, I only committed to eating only at home for one month. Then I set a goal of losing 5% of my weight. Then I’d work on maintaining. When that was successful, I went down to 10%. That took 1.5+ years. I didn’t want to lose more than I could maintain.

In June 2017, an esteemed doctor told me to walk 10K steps a day. It took a new kidney later in 2017 for me to have the energy & strength to do that. I’ve done so every day since.

I think the daily walk/hikes did a number of things:

Fills me with gratitude each day as there was no way I could do this pre-transplant🎉

Seems to modulate my hunger greatly & allows me more calories😀

Makes my athletic husband so happy that we can now hike in the hills together❣️

My goal has always been MAINTENANCE. That was the difference this time.

I recommend NOOM. Each week your coach asks you for one habit you’re going to focus upon. Little by little, week by week, I identified & created baby habits that even now are engrained.

It is truly a journey. And what I think might be needed most is that “I’m gonna do this no matter what” attitude but not as a sprint…but as a marathon (ie when we’re excited & in the right mindset & when that slips & we’ve got to re-set ourselves even if we don’t want to.”

Happy you are with us Jen!
    🌸💕Maddie