Anyone with type 2 do intermittent fasting?

lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I am eating low carb and have stalled on weight loss. I was thinking of trying 16:8 IF to help with Fat/weight loss. I am going to double check with my dr to make sure it is safe. I am on metformin, don't experience hypoglycemic episodes. I also am going to cut back on my fat intake,

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I eat supper at 6 PM and then breakfast at 7 AM more or less. This is not exactly intermittant fasting. I will say when I was losing, I would have stalls. The only way to start losing again was a couple of days of low calorie. I was/am keto.
  • lorib642
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I eat supper at 6 PM and then breakfast at 7 AM more or less. This is not exactly intermittant fasting. I will say when I was losing, I would have stalls. The only way to start losing again was a couple of days of low calorie. I was/am keto.
    Thanks. I am doing keto, too.
  • 2t9nty
    FWIW, when I was on metformin, I never had lows.

I have tried fasting for longer than the 12 or 13 hours just built into the regular day/schedule. I get headaches and generally feel crappy. I can check glucose, and it is not problematic. So - I just stick with the program and am especially attentive to calories when I am trying to lose a few pounds. The keto seems to manage the glucose for me, and I am off metformin.

I also get this headache/crappy thing on Sunday morning during my third service (I am clergy.). I find that a cheese stick snack after service two prevents this
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member

I have tried fasting for longer than the 12 or 13 hours just built into the regular day/schedule. I get headaches and generally feel crappy. I can check glucose, and it is not problematic. So - I just stick with the program and am especially attentive to calories when I am trying to lose a few pounds. The keto seems to manage the glucose for me, and I am off metformin.

I also get this headache/crappy thing on Sunday morning during my third service (I am clergy.). I find that a cheese stick snack after service two prevents this

We’re not keto here, but boy oh boy are cheese sticks, laughing cow, and Baby Bell cheeses popular in my house. They hit the spot every time.
  • 2t9nty

We’re not keto here, but boy oh boy are cheese sticks, laughing cow, and Baby Bell cheeses popular in my house. They hit the spot every time.

Cheese sticks are brilliant. They were totally off my radar until we had children.
  • MargaretYakoda
    tsazani wrote: »
    I keep my T2D reversed using 2MAD and IF. TDEE =2540 cal. 80f/15p/5c.

Any chance you can explain in words instead of acronyms and computer shortcuts?
  • lorib642
    I will try: type 2 diabetes, 2 meals a day and intermittent fasting, 2540 calories, macro percentages.
  • lorib642
    My dr is onboard with the fasting. I am working up to 16 hr fast. starting eating at noon and finishing by 8 is my goal. I feel fine so far.
  • MargaretYakoda
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I will try: type 2 diabetes, 2 meals a day and intermittent fasting, 2540 calories, macro percentages.

So…. Is that five carbs?

I don’t think I could do five carbs.
    In fact, since my calories are half of @tsazani ’s that would be two or three carbs. I really really don’t think I could do that.
  • lorib642
    I think it is 5% of the diet but I don’t know how to do the math
  • 2t9nty

MFP gives you the percentages in the goals. I am at 1600 calories a day, and I think C-> 5% gives me 20 or so carbs a day.
  • MargaretYakoda

Meta analysis seems to be coming in saying super keto is not healthy.
    I was on the fence about keto but now not so much.
  • lorib642
    Thanks. I saw your post. Super keto is just regular keto?

I have good glucose control now. My husband can’t do keto because he has kidney issues. He does a low glycemic diet with lots of non starchy veggies and he was able to “reverse” his diabetes. Of course, it would be back if he changed his way of eating, as far as the intermittent fasting I have been shooting for 16 hr fasts, but I may change that to 12 hr which is basically just no night time snacks. My dr says 16 hr is okay, I just get hungry before then.
  • lorib642

MFP gives you the percentages in the goals. I am at 1600 calories a day, and I think C-> 5% gives me 20 or so carbs a day.
    Thank you!
  • 2t9nty

Meta analysis seems to be coming in saying super keto is not healthy.
    I was on the fence about keto but now not so much.

My doctor is happy with my doing it. I figure he has the view from 10,000 feet with the research. I do know for certain that with virtually anything you want to do with diet, there are "experts" out there who are on all three sides of any issue. They can cite studies, etc.
  • lorib642
    I keep it simple. When I ate 20%f/30%p/50%c I was fat (BMI = 29.5), diabetic, and miserable.

Cutting calories and exercising got me down to a barely normal BMI = 25. But it was TOO hard to stay there. I'd go back to my old ways and go back up. Yo yo dieting.

5 years ago I decided that Atkins was NOT crazy but right after all. I changed my macros to 70%f/20%p/10%c still using a calorie deficit and exercising.

After solving my carb addiction, which I discovered when I tried to cut the carbs, I now find it easy to maintain my weight of BMI = 23.6. I no longer take meds for my diabetis, high blood prrssure, high cholesterol, or inflamed prostate. I feel and look great.

My goal is to keep my blood sugars as low as possible using LCHF + IF.

Glad it is working so well for you. How long do you fast. I am doing 14 hr, breaking fast with coffee and cream in am. It is hard to get used to not snacking at night
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Glad it is working so well for you. How long do you fast. I am doing 14 hr, breaking fast with coffee and cream in am. It is hard to get used to not snacking at night
    I think the main thing about intermittent fasting is that it stops the nighttime snacking :-)