Got the okay

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I asked my dr if it is safe for me to do 16:8 IF. I have type 2 diabetes and take metformin. I don’t go below 70mg/dL. He said it is fine and that I can have a little cream in my coffee :) I have been working my way up to 16 hrs and am going to fast 16 hr tonight.

How many meals do you eat in a day? I am moving from grazing and late night snacks, to 2-3 meals/day. and decreasing the cream in my coffee.

Replies

• rjason1986
    rjason1986 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I have 2 during my 8 hour window normally. Brunch/lunch and then dinner about 4 hours apart to allow the insulin level to drop. Some days I just snack the entire 8 hours. What is most important is the 16 hours of not eating after your eating window has closed. =) If you are a late night grazer/snacker you can always switch your eating window to incorporate the grazing/snacking! You can shift the 16/8 to whatever schedule best works for you and still get all the benefits of the 16 hour fast!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I decided to switch to 14 hr fasts. I was having trouble making it 16 hr and I like cream iny coffee in the morning. I have coffee and maybe something small in am and have 2 other meals, try to avoid snacking and not eating after dinner.

I have been having trouble staying asleep at night. Then I am tired in morning. I don't know if it has to do with getting used to dietary changes or just coincidence

I made a "yogurt" yesterday and it turned out good. Someone I know online showed me the recipe. It was easier than some yogurt recipes and used a different bacteria. I will have to eat a lot of yogurt to make up for the start up costs but I can put what I want in it. I don't usually like plain yogurt but this is tangy. I had it with a few blueberries and keto granola. My friend also gave me a granola recipe but it was complicated so I bought mine.

Feeling good, just tired

• rjason1986
    rjason1986 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ya being tired or lack of sleep can be from carb/sugar withdraw. Also, doing keto can cause a bit of insomnia in the beginning but the body will adjust to it. At least that's how it was for me. The lack of sugar/carbs made me irritable, restless and anxious. The thing I noticed the most with fasting vs IF is that my anxiety is reduced and after day 2 is completely gone. With IF it took a while for my body to adjust to not having sugar or carbs for 16 hours at a time but after my 1st fast everything got better.

I did also notice that during these past 2 weeks of regular eating (like i used to) but staying on a 12-16 hour fasting schedule the anxiety and insomnia came back. Along with late night snacking forcing me to play "catch-up" with my fasting window. So for me there is a relation between the foods I eat and my anxiety/insomnia. Luckily with IF I did not gain any of the weight back even though I've been eating EXTREMELY poorly. However, I do stay away from processed foods as much as possible! I think that helps the most since they are loaded with chemicals and added sugars.

Things will get better after you adjust to your dietary changes. You'll be losing weight and starting to feel like you have a lot of excess energy as well! Keep up the good work!