August “I Will” and Re-post of “Summer of Sleep”

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,207 Member
    Options

7fvx9fcq1ipw.png
    Hi habit builders. 😂

August Focus: Get to grips with all the clutter that has accumulated in my cupboards and drawers over the years. It has been out of sight out of mind for long enough.

For August:
    After I have finished my breakfast .....
    ..... I will Declutter 5 items.
    Sun 1: I sorted out my every day glassware cupboard. At the back of the cupboard I found a stack of small yoghurt/dessert tubs that I had been using for small amounts of ingredients when I was cooking. I hadn't realised how many of these I had gathered up. I have kept half a dozen and the rest have gone in the recycle bin.
    Mon 2: I sorted through the clothes that were lying on my bedroom seat. I mended 2 items, put 3 of them into the donate bag, and several more into the recycle bin. The rest of the items I put away where they belonged.
    Tues 3: I did some more paper decluttering of my filing cabinets. I am gradually filling up my upstairs paper recycle bin which I will put into the outside bin before bin day next Tuesday. Downstairs, I have a recycle box in our lounge, and I have a routine for dealing with junk mail each day when it arrives. Today, I also filed all the papers that had been piling up on the dining room table.
    Wed 4: Decluttered fridge, binned 2 out of date jams, and several chutneys. Used leftover veg to make soup for lunch.
    Thurs 5: Sorted through some old makeup. Binned several lipsticks, a couple of old nail polishes, and an almost empty tube of foundation. I haven't worn any of them for over a year.
    Fri 6: I went through some more old paperwork and put some more into the recycle bin (a lot more than five Items).
    Sat 7: I went through my sock drawer and put seven odd socks into the recycle bin. I’ve no idea where their matches went. Three of them had holes in them, and I never darn. 😂
    Sun: 8 Today, I Decluttered some more of my hair ornaments which were cluttering up,the bathroom counters. I made pretty origami containers for them and sorted them into different colours et cetera. The containers stack into a pagoda shape on my bedside table. My bigger items are in the stripey box underneath.
    My new storage for hair ornaments.
    k6kd0cxlk1xv.jpeg
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Was one of them black? I know where the mate is 😎😂

They were actually hubby's socks. 😂 There were two black ones (non matching), and an assortment of different coloured blue ones.
    Hahaha

I find errant socks wrapped in twisted sheets & pillow cases lol

I had even checked under beds for these. They had been in the drawer for quite some time.

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,886 Member
    Options
    One week done for August, only two more until my semester starts. 😢

I have got to say that getting off my screens at night has been tough. It’s probably the hardest I will I’ve had in years. Last year my bedroom TV died, and I never replaced it - good thing because I had that TV running into the wee hours.

I’ve been keeping a sleep record in my journal, which is a great idea mentioned in one of the materials at the top of the thread - I’m even recording the temp in my bedroom at bedtime since the hot weather is one of the greatest obstacles I have to sleeping.

I got a lot sewing done this week and did a FUN project that is also helping with my sleep goal. I’m planning a 1917 outfit (early Downton Abbey) and plan to make it from the undergarments out. So this week, I made a 1917 chemise(super easy project) which will go under the Edwardian corset (super hard project). But the chemise also works as a cool nightgown for these hot summer nights.

I’m also signed for an online workshop to do a 1920s one-hour dress next weekend. Of course that dress needs different undergarments. 🤣 I’m trying to use my fabric stash (decluttering), although that corset needed some special fabric.

My chemise
    yrfxnpg0n2na.jpeg

My August tracker
    nppkgmuhk36a.jpeg
  • 77tes
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 , I love your little origami boxes, how clever. Our socks like to curl up in a T-shirt that won’t be worn until next year. 🤣.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,028 Member
    Options
    7fvx9fcq1ipw.png
    Hi habit builders. 😂

August Focus: Get to grips with all the clutter that has accumulated in my cupboards and drawers over the years. It has been out of sight out of mind for long enough.

For August:
    Sun 1: I sorted out my every day glassware cupboard. At the back of the cupboard I found a stack of small yoghurt/dessert tubs that I had been using for small amounts of ingredients when I was cooking. I hadn't realised how many of these I had gathered up. I have kept half a dozen and the rest have gone in the recycle bin.
    Mon 2: I sorted through the clothes that were lying on my bedroom seat. I mended 2 items, put 3 of them into the donate bag, and several more into the recycle bin. The rest of the items I put away where they belonged.
    Tues 3: I did some more paper decluttering of my filing cabinets. I am gradually filling up my upstairs paper recycle bin which I will put into the outside bin before bin day next Tuesday. Downstairs, I have a recycle box in our lounge, and I have a routine for dealing with junk mail each day when it arrives. Today, I also filed all the papers that had been piling up on the dining room table.
    Wed 4: Decluttered fridge, binned 2 out of date jams, and several chutneys. Used leftover veg to make soup for lunch.
    Thurs 5: Sorted through some old makeup. Binned several lipsticks, a couple of old nail polishes, and an almost empty tube of foundation. I haven't worn any of them for over a year.
    Fri 6: I went through some more old paperwork and put some more into the recycle bin (a lot more than five Items).
    Sat 7: I went through my sock drawer and put seven odd socks into the recycle bin. I’ve no idea where their matches went. Three of them had holes in them, and I never darn. 😂
    Sun: 8 Today, I Decluttered some more of my hair ornaments which were cluttering up,the bathroom counters. I made pretty origami containers for them and sorted them into different colours et cetera. The containers stack into a pagoda shape on my bedside table. My bigger items are in the stripey box underneath.
    My new storage for hair ornaments.
    k6kd0cxlk1xv.jpeg

@TerriRichardson112 i love your origami storage!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @77tes Your sewing projects sounds awesome - loved your chemise!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I have to say I had those same feelings @nebslp & @themedalist. “But there’s more I want to do!!!”

But over the past 18 days, I have successfully shifted the things I did late at night to the morning (since I’m
    Not awakening tired.)

I have slashed my screen time by 33%.
    I’ve read 400 pages of a book & read a number of other art books.

I’m surprised - no shocked - that it’s going this well. I have forgiven myself for not doing this sooner & for the decades of night owl behavior!!

I guess I was finally ready to tackle my hardest habit
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I read the article below about doing 2 and-a-half hours of physical activity per week for better health, including sleep, and thought I'd ask you all about how much you do.

1. How much physical activity do you do in a week and what are your preferred activities?

2. Other than general every day things like housework or dog walking, what do you do that takes physical effort?

3. Do you think these activities aid in your health, well-being and getting better sleep?

Me?
    🚶🏼‍♀️ I walk: to the shops, to public transport stations and just around the city;
    🚴 I use my exercise bike and will gradually increase my times and intensity;
    📱I use apps for simple exercise routines (I hope to increase the level the more I do this);
    🏋️‍♀️ I use 1kg hand weights to do occasional flex 'n' stretch movements;
    🧹 Do general housework (I must get more disciplined in doing this).
    ⌚ On my Fitbit tracker I aim to get 30+ (preferably 60+) active minutes per day; accrue 10+k Steps; 250 steps/hr for 8-14 hrs each day; 6+ hrs sleep - I'd prefer 8hrs but, if I get 6, it's fine (got 9 last night 😊).

A study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine reports that walking briskly for two and a half hours each week (or running for 75 minutes weekly) "eliminated most of the deleterious associations of poor sleep" among a group of participants routinely dealing with inadequate sleep.
    https://www.eatthis.com/secret-side-effects-of-exercising-just-2-hours-per-week-says-science/
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited August 2021
    Options
    7fvx9fcq1ipw.png
    Hi habit builders. 😂

For August:
    Mon 9: Isn't it annoying the way clutter builds up! I had to give my writing desk another spruce up today. I binned a bunch of used post it's, several dud pens (why do we keep these? 🙄), and tidied away some small odds and ends into a couple more of my little stacking origami boxes. Making them feels very Zen. That should keep it tidy for a few days, surely! 😂

Week 1 completed. Completing my Habit Tracker gives me joy. As do my arum lilies. These are awaiting planting down in the pond. Alas, the ones there are finished flowering for now. I may get a few more if the weather improves.
    vwt5ckocy178.jpeg

• TerriRichardson112
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @BodyTalking - great questions.

1. How much physical activity do you do in a week and what are your preferred activities?
    🔹I use my Fitbit, and aim to do a minimum of 50 minutes intentional exercise and a minimum of 6 active hours each day.
    🔹I like doing HIIT, and walking videos, and I do a range of strength exercises using my own dumbbells and resistance bands.
    🔹I love dancing, so I often put on music and have a little bop in the living room or in the kitchen or anywhere really. 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
    🔹I also like walking in the outdoors, but I tend to be a fair weather walker hence I need the walking videos.

2. Other than general every day things like housework or dog walking, what do you do that takes physical effort?
    I think I covered this in #1.
    🔹I will have a go at lots of other activities from time to time.
    🔹I do have some little tricks that add physical effort to my day. I keep my dumbbells handy in the kitchen and often do sets of arm exercises while I wait for the kettle to boil, or the veggies to cook.
    🔹I get up and walk during ad breaks when I watch TV. It's surprising how many steps you can add to your total that way.
    🔹I do yoga and Physio for my knee, when it plays up.

3. Do you think these activities aid in your health, well-being and getting better sleep?
    🔹I firmly believe that exercise is important to keep your heart in your lungs strong.
    🔹The the endorphins that are released nearly always raise your spirits and contribute to your well-being.
    🔹I do think that if you get sufficient exercise your sleep benefits.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 thanks for sharing your daily activities. I'll copy some of your activities ☺️

Prior to the Covid restrictions, I was generally more active just walking to and from jobs & transport stops and being out and about. This past year hit as my body was naturally changing and I gave up caring about myself. It doesn't take long for the effects to show, does it! As I expect another year of this, I'll need to get motivated and lock-in the mini habits now before winter sets in.

I've never been a great sleeper, going back to my teens, and, a few years ago, realised that I couldn't continue to get anxious about the lack of sleep. I always got through the day, no matter what, so why add unnecessary angst? I take what I get, I don't try to force the sleep to happen, I rest if I can, I survive each day! I take melatonin when I want a proper sleep and regularly if I feel the need. Other changes to my night-time routines haven't made much difference, so I just take each day as it comes seeing as I don't have a regular daily schedule.

Have a lovely afternoon/evening
  • 77tes
    Options
    @BodyTalking great questions. Here are my answers:

I walk a lot, although due to hot weather and my pup’s health issues, my walking has been curtailed quite a bit lately. I do 2 strength workouts and daily yoga. According to my Fitbit I usually get 400+ active minutes. Last week due to dog and hot weather it was only 277.

I meet up with exercise group twice a week in the park then walk and chat with my sister (chatting by phone since her move). I love to dance and look forward to this coming Friday- my first dance class since February 2020. ✨

3. Do you think these activities aid in your health, well-being and getting better sleep? In think these activities are vital to my health. I’m concerned about losing my mental faculties as I age, so all my activities are to support the health of my body and brain. The yoga is really important for supporting my balance and flexibility. The dancing is fun, but also great for every bit of my health. As for sleep, no; in fact, sometimes the aches from a hard workout keep me awake. This is one of the reasons I’m really working to improve my sleep. I need to power my activities. It’s hard to do a strength workout when I feel like a limp rag. 🤣

@MadisonMolly2017 thanks for mentioning scree time. I just check and my screen time is down 44% since the beginning of this challenge!

Also, I’ve been doing my journaling in the evening and it’s been working great!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @BodyTalking great questions. Here are my answers:

I walk a lot, although due to hot weather and my pup’s health issues, my walking has been curtailed quite a bit lately. I do 2 strength workouts and daily yoga. According to my Fitbit I usually get 400+ active minutes. Last week due to dog and hot weather it was only 277.

I meet up with exercise group twice a week in the park then walk and chat with my sister (chatting by phone since her move). I love to dance and look forward to this coming Friday- my first dance class since February 2020. ✨

3. Do you think these activities aid in your health, well-being and getting better sleep? In think these activities are vital to my health. I’m concerned about losing my mental faculties as I age, so all my activities are to support the health of my body and brain. The yoga is really important for supporting my balance and flexibility. The dancing is fun, but also great for every bit of my health. As for sleep, no; in fact, sometimes the aches from a hard workout keep me awake. This is one of the reasons I’m really working to improve my sleep. I need to power my activities. It’s hard to do a strength workout when I feel like a limp rag. 🤣

@MadisonMolly2017 thanks for mentioning scree time. I just check and my screen time is down 44% since the beginning of this challenge!

Also, I’ve been doing my journaling in the evening and it’s been working great!

Awesome news @77tes!! Great inspiring post!

I use my screens for a lot of Google searches & art instruction- pondering moving those to my laptop so my screen time will measure my posts & email only, not my learning!!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @SummerSkier I love your critter brushing goal. I started brushing my pup 30 strokes, too! She really loves it and needs the extra attention since she isn’t feeling that great. No nightmares about the dentists please 😧 I’ve got a cleaning tomorrow, and it’s a new dentist, too!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    70,000+ steps walking
    90 minutes per day
    Planks or arm/shoulder exercises - 5mins/day (building up slowly)

Hiking, swimming, the gym, & dancing are my preferred activities, but for various reasons I can only walk/hike & do body & free wt exercises

See 1 above. Some gardening (new girl me) I keep movin throughout the day - at least once an hour. I do my daily tasks inefficiently to get more exercise.

Definitely the first two
    Very low resting heart rate
    Excellent bp cholesterol etc
    Definitely is a mood elevator although I’m pretty happy in general - I think it makes me feel good because I committed to do this & I am!

The best part is I can hike with my athletic husband now!! He just brought down a hike in the mountains as a suggestion for us after the fires are out. “You can do this now!!”

Sleep: I find it only helps if it’s not too late in the evening- which I do to avoid heat and UV in summer…
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    QUESTION: Should I be scanning/photographing my “final pass” items that I’m saving from my TEACHING career (curriculum, photos, letters I sent home, notes from students/parents) & saving it digitally???

Pros/Cons??

What do you do with memorabilia?

Any tips on how to do this quickly?!

Thank you!!
    🌸Maddie
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,825 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but if they are more than 20 or 30 years old I would not try to scan them but just discard or send to the folks if you are still in touch.

Speaking of decluttering or a failure to do so.. I used to write stuff down in monthly calendars. I was searching for when I bought Bandit (could not locate Bill of Sale) and found my 1996 calendar. 11 Mar 1996 was Bandit's gotcha day. 9284 days of boy wonder. <3
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier Pretty sure the lucky boy is happy about the arrangement:) I enjoy seeing your adventures together.

@MadisonMolly2017 So far my paper memorabilia storage technique has been to put in a box and stuff it on a shelf in the farthest corner of the basement behind closed doors. Not much help here :D ! I don't have much work stuff but my kids would be appalled to see what I've saved from their school days. The work letters are special and are in a box with my photos. I am making a list of one-time or occasional things to do in my phone notes and will add basement boxes (4 kids, 4 boxes :# ) to the list now.