Leslie Sansone August 2021 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

The August Walk Challenge is just around the corner, so now is definitely the time to be thinking about our new monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors in summer's heat :sweat_smile: . Walking or hiking outdoors might sometimes be an alternative to the DVDs for those who enjoy getting their miles or minutes outdoors and have the opportunity to do so during the cooler part of the day/ evening.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other kinds of workout DVDs 📀 or apps 📲 🧘‍♀️. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes, sessions. However you get your walk or exercise in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have exercised, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, as well as additional workouts for this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you are able.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month, then by the end of this month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in!

It is always fun to read which DVD or what kind of workout you did, so feel free to share your workouts as well as walks with us.

I know that we are always excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) as we come back for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

Bring your water with you as we start 👟 walking and working out 🏋️‍♀️🤸‍♀️ during August.

texasgardnr 🤠🌺

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Happy August friends!

Last month I fell short on my Apple Watch challenge. This month I'm hoping I can exceed the watch's expectations.
    I think I'd also like to add some strength training for the upper body 2x a week.
    I'm also backing off the gluten again and I'll start scaling back my grain intake.

I downloaded a hydration app called "waterllama". I really like it because it takes into account all the fluids you drink not just water. So milk, tea, soda can all count towards your hydration goal just not as much as water. Since downloading it I've doubled my hydration intake.

Keeping my milage goal the same: 90 miles tracked
    Apple Watch Challenge: 12 workouts of 15mins or more.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    July was a total bust for me! It was so hot/humid at the beginning of the month, then we had contractors in the house and finally, my DH tore out the walls in my workout room! I was unmotivated anyway, so one day just sort of ran into the next. I am not a fan of summer for this very reason-days just pass me by. However, it has been very fall like up here this week and some people even started fires in their fireplaces!!! :noway: That signals fall to me and I am energized!!!! I am going to keep the same goal this month, but no rest days as they are my Kryptonite! I am also participating in a goal with a friend to have a dry August! I better lose some weight if I am giving up my glass of wine with dinner! :laugh:

August Goal: Walk it Off in 30 DVD- MWF-Firm 30 TRSa-Burn 30 SU-Any Walk I want 3 miles or more + 93 miles for the month. (not having a mileage challenge is not good for me as I got sucked down the Google/You Tube/Amazon Movies etc etc etc rabbit hole too many days last month!) :naughty:

8/1-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=2 miles total

@AnnofB -Oh my gosh Ann!!! I read that you are doing better, but that must have been very scary! I hope your husband escaped getting it. I am so glad you are on the mend enough to work out. :heart:

@mypinkbikini -Hang in there as moving is a nightmare all by itself even without the other issues you are dealing with. One day at a time is all you can do when you have so much on your plate. Hugs! :heart:

Walk Strong Everyone!!! :bigsmile:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off, texasgardnr!

@zichab - So good to see you posting. The heat is a true de-motivator, that's for sure. I have lived in the south all my life and up until this year, I have been able to deal with it, but not any more. DH took a trip to Ohio earlier this month, came back and said, "We are moving to Ohio! The summer is bearable up there!" I said, "When do we start packing?"

@Deeder522 - WTG with the hydration!

Not sure yet what my August goal will be. I tried to keep up with strength at the end of July by doing some lower body exercises, but I know I have lost a lot of ground. Still keeping it light as the MRSA is still a bit painful but definitely clearing up.
  • zichab
    Options
    August Goal: Walk it Off in 30 DVD- MWF-Firm 30 TRSa-Burn 30 SU-Any Walk I want 3 miles or more + 93 miles for the month.

-Vivofit tracked 2.1 miles=4.1 miles total
    8/2-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles=4.1 total

OH MY!!! I totally forgot how strenuous Firm 30 is when you have not done ab work in .. well ... a LONG time. I was so on top of the leg, back and chest portions of the workout and then those darn crunches started!!! I think people over 68 should be exempt from crunches!!! It's "elder abuse!!!" :D I am not looking forward to Wednesday now!!! ;)

@annofB -I hear you!!! I know I could not live in the south as the heat totally saps my energy. I really dislike summer, mostly because of the HHH days and I have always lived in the north (although not as far north as I am now! ;) ) Moving is second nature for we military people so Ohio it is!!!! Come on up!!!! B)

Walk Strong Everyone!!! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    August Goal: Walk it Off in 30 DVD- MWF-Firm 30 TRSa-Burn 30 SU-Any Walk I want 3 miles or more + 93 miles for the month.

-Vivofit tracked 2.8 miles=6.9 miles total
    8/3-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=8.9 miles total

Walk Strong Every one!! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 3.0 miles=11.9 miles total
    8/4-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles=11.9 miles total

• zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 3.8 miles=15.7 miles total
    8/5-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=17.7 miles total

• Deeder522
    Options
    Started today with a 1-mile walk outside. Rain will be off and on for the next few days so I got out early and it felt good.
    Heat and humidity are coming back for another round and work is going to be keeping me busy too. Hoping to fit more workouts in 1st thing again. Get it out of the way before the day knows I'm awakw. ;)
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 2.7 miles=20.4 miles total
    8/6-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles=20.4 miles total

Bless you @Deeder522 ! I absolutely cannot work out first thing as it makes me nauseous. I so envy those of you who can get up, work out, get your shower and be ready for the day!! Go for it early before that MI humidity knows you are out!!! :wink:

• VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 155 miles + daily Pilates (or try adding back in other strength workouts on less mileage days)

Aug 1: 4 Fast Miles Walk Slim + 30 min Quick Start Pilates w/Ana Cabán
    Aug 2: 6 Miles ~ 3 Fast Miles + 3 Miles Walking for Weight Loss + 30 min Quick Start Pilates w/Ana Cabán
    Aug 3: 6 Miles ~ 3 Miles 5K With a Twist! + 3 Miles WATP Express + 30 min Quick Start Pilates w/Ana Cabán
    Aug 4: 6 Miles ~ 2 Miles Woman's Walk + 4 Fast Miles Walk Slim + 13 min Karen Lord Pilates Movement legs & butt
    Aug 5: 6 Miles ~ 3 Miles Slim & Sleek + 3 Miles WATP + 26 min Pilates Mat Workout w/Ana Cabán
    Aug 6: 4 Miles ~ 2 Miles The Big Burn + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + 13 min Karen Lord Pilates Movement legs & butt
    Aug 7: 5 Boosted Miles + 26 min Pilates Mat Workout w/Ana Cabán

37 out of 155 miles
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 3.0 miles=23.4 miles toal
    8/7-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=25.4 miles total

I have stuck to the plan for 1 whole week!!!! o:) On to week 2!!! B)

• AnnofB
    Options
    I'm just going to stay active 5 days a week.

8/1.....rest day
    8/2....24 minutes 5 Day Walk Plan with 5 lb weights
    8/3.....21 minutes Burn to the Beat
    8/4.....38 minutes of Strength & Stamina 8 lb weights
    8/5.....rest day
    8/6.....30 minutes of 5 Day Walk Plan
    8/7.....40 minutes of Strength & Stamina 8 and 5 lb weights, 20 minutes of Over 50 Yoga

@zichab - Well done!
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 2.5 miles=27.9 miles total
    8/8-5K with a Twist-3.0=30.9 miles total

Thanks @AnnofB -You know how much I hate strength workouts, but I can stand anything for 30 minutes! LOL I need to just get back in the habit of working out because I always feel so much more energetic when I do. How are you feeling BTW? Did the meds work?

• Deeder522
    Options
    24.72 / 90 miles tracked
    Apple Watch Challenge: 4 / 12 workouts of 15mins or more.
  • zichab
    Options

-Vivofit tracked 1.2 miles=32.1 miles total
    8/9--Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles =32.1 miles

Walk Strong Everyone!! :bigsmile:
  • AnnofB
    Options
    zichab wrote: »

Thanks @AnnofB -You know how much I hate strength workouts, but I can stand anything for 30 minutes! LOL I need to just get back in the habit of working out because I always feel so much more energetic when I do. How are you feeling BTW? Did the meds work?

I get it about the strength workouts. Ha-ha. Wish I could like them, but.... I am feeling a lot better and the med's did their good work. So glad that is over. Thank you for asking. 🙂

• AnnofB
    Options
    I'm just going to stay active 5 days a week.

8/1.....rest day
    8/2....24 minutes 5 Day Walk Plan with 5 lb weights
    8/3.....21 minutes Burn to the Beat
    8/4.....38 minutes of Strength & Stamina 8 lb weights
    8/5.....rest day
    8/6.....30 minutes of 5 Day Walk Plan
    8/7.....40 minutes of Strength & Stamina 8 and 5 lb weights, 20 minutes of Over 50 Yoga

8/8.....rest day
    8/9.....rest day
    8/10...30 minutes light weights lots of reps
  • zichab
    Options

8/9-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles =32.1 miles
    -Vivofit tracked 2.8 miles=34.9 miles total
    8/10-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=36.9 miles total

Oh Ann, I am so glad!!! We are all so focused on COVID that we forget the other stuff that is going around. The VA called to day and asked Dennis is he wanted his flu shot this year. We were like "Flu? How would I get that in the middle of the woods with a mask on?" LOL Flu seems so harmless considering what we are all dealing with.

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @Deeder522 Apple Watch had better watch out for you this month 😅... Good dietary/ exercise plan you are embarking on this month! The hydration app seems to be doing its job 💧 .

@zichab Glad that July is behind you and you have a good plan to show August that it better not mess with you LOL 🤣!!! Look at you posting every day! You certainly are on a roll!

@AnnofB Yes! those northeastern summers are quite amazing (I'm from Pennsylvania)! Glad to read that the MRSA is clearing up. And it is very painful from what others have told me, virtual {{hugs}}.
    Yes, when things happen we certainly lose ground much faster than it takes to gain it in the first place, and then definitely takes a while to get it back again. I like your goal 👌. And It seems to be working for you also!! That is awesome news that you are feeling better and this MRSA seems to be pretty much behind you from the sounds of it 💐.

@VeggieGirlforLife you are rocking the Pilates, plus a bunch of miles! Way to go 🤸‍♀️!!

My goal for this month will once again be to just to keep moving as much as possible by using the rebounder & the Gazelle, walking indoors, or in the yard/garden 🌞 🌷 🐛 if I can get out there in the early morning 😅. July was such an all around struggle, so I'm also hoping for a better August.

August 1: Rest Day
    August 2: 40 minutes: inside walking
    August 3: 60 minutes: gazelle, inside walking
    August 4: 2.5 hours errands/ grocery shopping
    August 5: 45 minutes: gazelle, inside walking
    August 6: Rest Day
    August 7: Rest Day

August 8: Rest Day
    August 9: 60 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, inside walking,
    August 10: 35 minutes: inside walking
    August 11: 85 minutes: gazelle, rebounder, inside walking, garden, strength

🤠🌺
  • zichab
    Options

8/9-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles =32.1 miles
    -Vivofit tracked 2.8 miles=34.9 miles total
    8/10-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Burn 30-2 miles=36.9 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 2.6 miles=39.5
    8/11-Just Walk-Walk it Off in 30 Days-Firm 30-0 miles=39.5 miles total

@texasgardnr I am wondering if July was sort of the last period of adjustment to retirement? I have never done it before so I do not know. However, when I resigned from my job of 10 years to be a full time mom, it seems to me I went through a period of adjustment at that time also where I was not sure how to live or structure my days. I just feel like I have turned a corner and I want to decorate, clean, work out, wash cars and all kinds of things I have had to drag myself to do since we moved. My DH is not sure what is going on, but he has a spotless truck so he is not saying a word in case it is a "phase"!!! :smiley: In any event, I am going strong with Walk It Off in 30 Days!! Thank goodness for Leslie!!!! :+1: