Logging Bacon

Options
tmccutcheon
tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
Do any of you add bacon grease to your meal logging of bacon when using the grease in the same meal? I fry the bacon and then use the grease for my scrambled eggs. I have only been logging the bacon and the eggs for the meal and now am wondering if the bacon grease is in addition to what the bacon packaging lists as calories and macros. TIA

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't know 100% for sure the "right" way to do it. The method of cooking matters. I usually google nutritional info for bacon in grams not cooked in grease and find the MFP entry that is closest to that. I log bacon grease re-added to food, like you said for egg cooking, separate. But my cooking method is baked on a pan that has slots which catches the grease, which I save for later.

Any one do it differently?
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    I just log it in on MFP if you type in bacon grease you will get a variety of choices
  • TXRebelle
    TXRebelle Posts: 139 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I used to not count it separately because I assumed it was included in the count or I wasn't re-using it other than maybe what remained in the pan after I disposed of the extra from cooking to throw in some eggs. Now, I no longer dispose of any left over grease (either using it immediately for batch cooking or saving for later) so I've started counting it as extra just because my scale is stubborn enough. I'd love to know that it wasn't extra because I consider bacon a treat these days and the grease also. :)

p.s. I'd also like to know this for chicken thighs. I air fry them, but sometimes use the drippings for cooking onions or other things served with that meal. I never save it for later unless it is pour over the thighs that don't get eaten at that serving to help with re-heating.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed that the nutritional information provided for bacon is for cooked, after the excess fat cooks off, so if I use any of the rendered fat for cooking or what not, I count it separately.
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    Any fat you use should be counted, it is to your benefit to be as accurate as possible.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed that the nutritional information provided for bacon is for cooked, after the excess fat cooks off, so if I use any of the rendered fat for cooking or what not, I count it separately.

This is what I do as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Every (that I recall) bacon package I've ever looked at specifies "cooked" on the packaging nutrition label. I just looked at a package in the freezer and it specifies "skillet cooked". That brings up the point that all of this info and tracking is a "best guess" sort of thing. Some people cook their bacon limp and other people cook their bacon crisp. There would be a difference in the calorie and macro amount/s since one would have more fat cooked out than the other.

I have container of saved bacon fat in the fridge which I use for flavoring a few things. When I add it to a food, I add the calories just as I would add calories for olive oil, butter, etc. If I fry/cook my eggs (or green beans or anything really) in bacon grease, I add calories for the grease.

There is a database entry in mfp for "animal fat bacon grease" I use.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I add it. I also save grease from duck because it has a lovely smoky flavor.