New to keto

Options
Skittles2183
Skittles2183 Posts: 1,547 Member
I have no idea where to start lol I have watched so much youtube and still not sure where to begin haha. would love any help I can get, what would be a good first week meal plan, how much do I eat of each. any tips would be great thank you

Replies

• UpNorthPat12
    UpNorthPat12 Posts: 921 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi - I'm going back to keto and low carb - and I use DietDoctor.com -- I saw that there's a link and recommendation to Diet Doctor on the intro area of this group, too. LOTS on DietDoctor is free and you can get good information there, including all kinds of meal plans - easy, budget, higher protein, etc. Just take it a little at a time... the knowledge and what works for you will grow as you build a foundation of understanding. Let me know if you go to DietDoctor and what you think! We can do this!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Something else you can use is Reddit's r/keto Keto FAQ. It pretty thorough.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq/
  • Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I will look them both up now. right now I did find carb manager app so I'm hoping that helps me a bit with tracking
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As you log food you will find out more of the nutritional value of foods. Amazon is a great place to buy recipe ingredients like erythritol or coconut flour for baking. Costco for almond flour, avacado oil and cheese wisps. And one word...pinterest for recipes!
  • dinolan1
    dinolan1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am new to keto but not MFP. I just heard about keto a few days ago but don't have enough of the right kinds of foods in the house to go full keto so I'm just going to ease into it until I can manage to get to the store. By ease into it I mean I will continue to eat carbs, although in way smaller amounts, until I've gotten rid of them all and then just not buy anymore. The websites say to go through your cupboard and refrigerator and just throw them all away. That just seems so wasteful, especially in these times of food shortages. I live 20 miles from the nearest grocery store and don't go very often, especially in winter. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the food diary to track this new way of eating.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    dinolan1 wrote: »
    I am new to keto but not MFP. I just heard about keto a few days ago but don't have enough of the right kinds of foods in the house to go full keto so I'm just going to ease into it until I can manage to get to the store. By ease into it I mean I will continue to eat carbs, although in way smaller amounts, until I've gotten rid of them all and then just not buy anymore. The websites say to go through your cupboard and refrigerator and just throw them all away. That just seems so wasteful, especially in these times of food shortages. I live 20 miles from the nearest grocery store and don't go very often, especially in winter. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the food diary to track this new way of eating.

Sounds like a good strategy!
    I don't do a lot of messing with settings since I don't have premium. I mess with macro % until it is about 10% carbs and 30-35% protein and leave it alone. I just hit my calories and try to get under carbs and close to protein. That's good enough. Without premium you need to put your carbs and fiber columns beside one another to do quick math for "net carbs" if that's what you are after. You can keep track of that number in "Notes" if you can't remember it. I do a lot of planning ahead for the day so I know I'm not going over on carbs or too low consistently on the protein.

Planning also helps when you are hungry and tempted to go off plan. If I've already got the path forged (my day is already logged), it's easier for me just to follow the path of least resistance. No hangry decisions.

Anyway HTH :)