Elevated glucose levels after exercising

Options
bigzig0305
bigzig0305 Posts: 5 Member
Has anyone experienced elevated glucose levels after exercising? The other morning when I woke up I measured my glucose levels immediately and it measured 140. Not great but ok. Took my meds (metformin and Farxiga) and went to the gym to lift weights. When I got back my glucose was 180. I then did my running, ran 3 miles, and then measured my glucose again and it was 277. I hadn’t eaten anything and only drank water. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I mentioned this to my physician and she wants me to wear a continuous glucose measuring devise for a few weeks to measure how exercise and other foods affect my glucose. Also to sending to an endocrinologist for a consult.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I found that after walking my BG was elevated too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    As mentioned above stress hormones will elevate your readings by blocking the effect of insulin. Same reason your readings go up when sick. Metformin should help prevent your liver dumping glucose into your blood, what dose are you on and for how long?

It sounds like you have dawn phenomenon as well, which means your readings are elevated in the mornings. In my case my bg goes DOWN after eating a large carby breakfast because my stress hormones drop and let my natural insulin get to work.

If this is what’s up with you, then working out fasted is not a good plan. Eat a little something first. Try working out in the evenings when you aren’t already dealing with dawn phenomenon.

A lot of people have strength training temporarily raise levels, while cardio will drop them. Try doing your cardio and low intensity stuff before your strength training and see if it prevents the spike.

Anecdotal evidence suggests eating a piece of cheese or other low carb long digesting snack at bedtime helps dawn phenomenon.
  • bigzig0305
    Options
    Tsazani - you called it. Just had my yearly physical where I explained to my PCP what my glucose levels were after exercising and she wants me to see and endocrinologist. I like to run and participate in 5k runs. Don’t want to give that up and morning times are really the best time for me to fit that in. I work from home and can try to do it at noon to see if my levels are better waiting till later in the day. I’m already taking 1,000 mg metformin 2 times a day and Farxiga in the morning. Along with a statin and BP meds. She also has me using the freestyle libre 2 so I can monitor my levels while exercising. What is 18:6 2Mad? Not sure what you consider older but I’m 57. Have had T2D for 8 years now. I’ll try doing weight lifting only in the AM and my higher intensity running later in the day.
  • bigzig0305
    Options
    So how does medical cannabis help with your glucose levels? How is practicing medicine in Costa Rica different than in the US to where practicing medicine in Costa Rica good and in the US bad?

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,698 Member
    Options
    bigzig0305 wrote: »
    So how does medical cannabis help with your glucose levels? How is practicing medicine in Costa Rica different than in the US to where practicing medicine in Costa Rica good and in the US bad?

It does nothing for diabetes.
    It does not lower blood glucose.
    It is good for nausea - but be cautious because nausea can be a serious symptom of many illnesses. So be sure to consult your own personal doctor.

As for Costa Rica, well….
    Even Costa Rica has a system for handling malpractice.

And that is all I will say about that.
  • bigzig0305
    Options
    Rheddmobil - I definitely have dawn phenomenon. The other day I used my freestyle Libre to take my glucose reading immediately when I woke up and it was 105. 1 hour later without eating anything and taking my meds it was 120. I am on metformin 1000mg 2x a day. Along with Farxiga in the morning. I was able to run 3 miles the other day at noon and it didn’t spike my glucose. It stayed at 150 or below. Before in the AM when I would run it would spike as high as 270 but come back down quickly.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Anecdotal evidence suggests eating a piece of cheese or other low carb long digesting snack at bedtime helps dawn phenomenon.

This did not prove to be true for me. This is frequently given advice, and so presumably it works for some people. You might as well see if it makes a difference.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,698 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

This did not prove to be true for me. This is frequently given advice, and so presumably it works for some people. You might as well see if it makes a difference.

Cheese or nuts do help my husband keep his glucose stable.

I’ve even begun putting an ounce of spiced almonds in his med kit every night so he gets it as soon as he wakes up and starts exercising on the NuStep. This also keeps him happy, which is a huge bonus.
  • libwitch
    libwitch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat a little protein and carb before you exercise - if you are trying to excercise on a empty stomach, chances are good that you are dropping low during your exercise, and you are experiencing a gluclose dump as your body tries to compensate.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was advised, like others here, a little carb and protein before exercise. Also, exercise 1 hour after eating. That is when your blood sugar peaks and is starting to come down. So, following that, your blood sugar will be lower after exercise.
    I have done this for 3 weeks now, and find this to be true. So far, and for me.