Welcome. Introduce yourself here.

MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
I am in my 60’s.
This is my second time around with weight loss.

I have a balance disorder that doctors have been dismissing as me being fat…. Me being lazy. .. Me being a hypochondriac… etc.

Yes. I am fat. But I have never been lazy. 😇

I was diagnosed with diabetes I early February, and that has put everything in fast forward mode. I’m losing the weight. And hopefully the doctors will see that I am not lazy. And when I say my legs are weak, or my hands are tingling, etc, they’ll listen.

Maybe.

Replies

• LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hello! I, too, am in my 60's. I am contending with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, chronic anemia, hypothyroidism, hypertension, aortic stenosis with a deformed aortic valve, pre-diabetic, neuropathy in my feet, and suffering the after effects of Lyme's Disease. I am 5' 5" and started this journey on August 9, 2021 at 272 lbs. This is my second go-round on MFP. I was doing great here in 2019 but life added extra stress which caused me to start having pseudopheochromocytoma episodes that put me in the ER. Heart doc said do nothing to add stress (physical or mental) until it resolved so I shut down and went into depression.

Whew!

All that being said, my life is lived in 20 minute increments. I am happily married(41 years), proud pet mom to 2 dogs and 2 cats. I am sorta (ahem) intense about tracking on MFP and tend to get hyper focused on the numbers. I see my cardiologist this week to see if I can begin walking/bicycling again (slowly, slowly). I hope losing weight will help lessen the effects of all the above maladies. :#

@MargaretYak it is so frustrating when doctors don't take you seriously because of your appearance. Hope you achieve your goals and you find solutions for your problems!
  • MargaretYakoda
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    Hello! I, too, am in my 60's. I am contending with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, chronic anemia, hypothyroidism, hypertension, aortic stenosis with a deformed aortic valve, pre-diabetic, neuropathy in my feet, and suffering the after effects of Lyme's Disease. I am 5' 5" and started this journey on August 9, 2021 at 272 lbs. This is my second go-round on MFP. I was doing great here in 2019 but life added extra stress which caused me to start having pseudopheochromocytoma episodes that put me in the ER. Heart doc said do nothing to add stress (physical or mental) until it resolved so I shut down and went into depression.

Whew!

All that being said, my life is lived in 20 minute increments. I am happily married(41 years), proud pet mom to 2 dogs and 2 cats. I am sorta (ahem) intense about tracking on MFP and tend to get hyper focused on the numbers. I see my cardiologist this week to see if I can begin walking/bicycling again (slowly, slowly). I hope losing weight will help lessen the effects of all the above maladies. :#

@MargaretYak it is so frustrating when doctors don't take you seriously because of your appearance. Hope you achieve your goals and you find solutions for your problems!

Welcome to the group!

We’re going to grow, and eventually there’ll be tons of support here!

You CAN do this!
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Hi!

I’m in my mid-40s and have osteoarthritis throughout my lower back and in both hips - both from a combo of genetics and environment. I got the diagnosis about 10-years ago when the doctors found not only the arthritis but also associated bone spurs, disc degenerative disease, the starting of spinal stenosis, and that I had lost the curvature in my spine. I lived a very active lifestyle and had (still do) a high stress career, so to say this was life changing would be an understatement. About 7 years ago, I had an artificial disc put in my back (which was successful) but continue to see other discs deteriorate with the potential for more surgeries in my future.

My body tries to compensate for the arthritis by creating too much lubricant in the severely damaged vertebra and creates fluid pockets in my spine that regularly have to be drained due to pressure on my spinal column. Add in chronic inflammation in those areas, and I can go weeks or months having difficult walking.

I have adapted to a lot of the pain and have learned the difference between mechanical pain, arthritis related pain, and nerve pain over the years which has been extremely helpful for management but find my biggest struggle when pain isnt managed to be my mental health. The link between the two (mental and physical) is very real for me and can be a vicious circle of fine tuning one to improve the other or neglecting one and the other reminding me of the fine balance. I’m extremely introverted, have anxiety, and OCD. Luckily I have tools for the anxiety and OCD that work well until the physical kicks in full force. That said, I work very hard to find silver linings in everything and have a “can-do” outlook on life.

I have spent the vast majority of my life overweight but physically fit enough not to stop me from doing what I want — horseback riding, long wilderness hikes with heavy packs, camping, yard work, etc. Now, many of those things aren’t possible as I’ve packed on lbs, lost muscle and endurance from personal neglect due to the arthritis. In the last couple years, Ive focus on nutrition and fitness with a new lens on health and had lost 65 lbs before COVID. COVID lockdown was a nightmare, and I gained 35 back. The mental piece was unbearable and went unmanaged. Since the beginning of the year, I lost all of it, but a recent injury, bursitis, arthritis flare, and a stressful life event helped me put 5ish back on — not sure how much is inflammation and water retention. I’m unsure what my end point is lsince I put very little “weight” on tools like BMI and calculators, so I am going to work towards another 30 and reassess how I feel.

I really appreciate the invite to the group. I struggle to share amongst the larger group or being able to connect with those looking for support because I feel like my personal outlook on exercise and eating doesn’t fit as nicely into what most discuss on the MFP forum — at least the more vocal and posting majority. I’ve been forced to learn about myself, what my body can handle, and how to manage my mental health because of the arthritis and associated inflammation and find it frustrating to have people disagree with my approach because of what can appear to be a more group-centric think.

Sorry for the novel! 🙂

• NerdyScienceGrl

I am in my 60’s.
    This is my second time around with weight loss.

I have a balance disorder that doctors have been dismissing as me being fat…. Me being lazy. .. Me being a hypochondriac… etc.

Yes. I am fat. But I have never been lazy. 😇

I was diagnosed with diabetes I early February, and that has put everything in fast forward mode. I’m losing the weight. And hopefully the doctors will see that I am not lazy. And when I say my legs are weak, or my hands are tingling, etc, they’ll listen.

Maybe.

Thank you for starting the group and putting together a space for those that could use a smaller support network. Congrats on losing! You’ll get there and can lose the weight.

It can be so difficult when our own doctors can’t see what we need or who we are — I tend to be two steps ahead of mine and refuse to let their opinion get to me. 🤗
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    All that being said, my life is lived in 20 minute increments.

I am sorta (ahem) intense about tracking on MFP and tend to get hyper focused on the numbers. I see my cardiologist this week to see if I can begin walking/bicycling again (slowly, slowly). I hope losing weight will help lessen the effects of all the above maladies. :#

I very much relate to living life in increments! Sometime it’s 20seconds at a time as I stop to breathe deep and compose myself.

I tend to be obsessive about the numbers both in MFP and my fitness tracker. Less so about calories or macros but the nutritional pieces like fiber and vitamins. My fitness tracker though can be a huge distraction — why is this or that outside the norm, steps, etc.

I had to force myself away from the scale because it created mental anguish, but in my case, I can say lbs lost has really helped but what was even bigger was learning to control inflammation and what my body liked to eat.

You can do it!! 🤗

• LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    @NerdyScienceGrl and @MargaretYakoda thank you for the welcome and the words of encouragement. Osteoarthritis is a real witch to live with. I am so thankful not to have RA though.

One of the things I find most frustrating is that I don't look sick or debilitated, just fat. So when I tell the doctor what I am dealing with I can almost hear their eyes rolling. GRRR!

My cardiologist gave me the thumbs up to ease back into exercise. I am restarting the Launchpad chair exercises this week, at MY pace, not theirs. When the heat moderates I will start walking again, too.

Water retention, ugh! I have cut my salt intake to half of the RDA, and FINALLY can see my ankles again. That's on top of the water pill the doc has me on. @NerdyScienceGrl it can change my weight 3-5 pounds overnight if I indulge in salty foods. Beware pretzels and salted nuts! :s

Hang in there, we got this :)
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    @LeeH31 I learned in my 20s the unfortunate bias that doctors can have when the patient is overweight. I kept telling the doctors I was seeing something was seriously wrong with me and would physically show them. They passed it off as fat. At my insistance, they brought in another doctor — I picked up a large lump in my abdomen — he looked at the others in the room, shamed them, a week later I had emergency surgery to remove a tumor that had caused my ribs to spread and caused atrophy in other organs. So, sometimes it takes some insistence. My current PCP automatically blames everything on my back and wants to send me back to the neurosurgeon. This last time I flat out refused to go insisting the pain was in my hip — sure enough, bursitis!

Good for you for doing the right thing for you and knowing you may want and need to take things much slower.

I’m a salt fiend. The idea of reducing salt makes me want to cry. I definitely know those weight swings because of it. Early last week I about cried when I saw the number on the scale. This morning was so much better — only a couple lbs over my weight pre-injury. Definitely inflammation at this point.

We definitely do! 🤗
  • MargaretYakoda
    @LeeH31 I learned in my 20s the unfortunate bias that doctors can have when the patient is overweight. I kept telling the doctors I was seeing something was seriously wrong with me and would physically show them. They passed it off as fat. At my insistance, they brought in another doctor — I picked up a large lump in my abdomen — he looked at the others in the room, shamed them, a week later I had emergency surgery to remove a tumor that had caused my ribs to spread and caused atrophy in other organs. So, sometimes it takes some insistence. My current PCP automatically blames everything on my back and wants to send me back to the neurosurgeon. This last time I flat out refused to go insisting the pain was in my hip — sure enough, bursitis!

Good for you for doing the right thing for you and knowing you may want and need to take things much slower.

I’m a salt fiend. The idea of reducing salt makes me want to cry. I definitely know those weight swings because of it. Early last week I about cried when I saw the number on the scale. This morning was so much better — only a couple lbs over my weight pre-injury. Definitely inflammation at this point.

We definitely do! 🤗

Ooof…. Doctors.
    When they’re bad, they’re really really bad.

Tried to share some of my experience on a discussion in the main forums and got basically called a liar by someone who works in an emergency room.

Are all doctors bad? No.
    Not even close.

But when they just focus on weight and ignore everything else? Or make assumptions about your ability to pay? Or your education level?
    Yeesh.

• NerdyScienceGrl
    If people haven’t experienced the bias, they likely put a lot of weight (ha!) on the medical care they receive. I find it highly frustrating when people doubt, disagree, or call others out on the forum when it applies to the posters individual circumstance. I almost immediately got called out because I understand mathematically that CICO works but my body seems to care more about how I feed it — control the inflammation and CICO works well.
  • MargaretYakoda
    If people haven’t experienced the bias, they likely put a lot of weight (ha!) on the medical care they receive. I find it highly frustrating when people doubt, disagree, or call others out on the forum when it applies to the posters individual circumstance. I almost immediately got called out because I understand mathematically that CICO works but my body seems to care more about how I feed it — control the inflammation and CICO works well.

Same. Definitely the same.
    On Facebook there’s a group named “The Ableds are at it Again” and sometimes I wish I could tag that here. 🤣

I won’t. Because it would very likely create drama.

But those who have been lucky enough to avoid long term serious issues with their body often have no bleepity idea how lucky they are.
  • Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Hi all. I'm not a long writer but I'll try to give you some info about me. I'm 59, 5'10 and 431 lbs. I have disabling osteoarthritis in my back and knees and sometimes my hands, I had double knee replacement about 8 years ago. It worked fine but is stiff and hard to walk now. I use a walker to get around in the house and I haven't been outside for months. I'm getting a ramp built to , hopefully, get me out.
    I'm married (30 years) and have two great sons who have their own disabilities. One son has Autism. The other son has T1Diabetes,
    My current weight loss journey began when my Dr said my sugars were starting to get high. I see my son struggle and I don't want to go down that road. I have to get this weight off. I tend to get emotional when the scale doesn't cooperate and I suffer from depression and anxiety.
    Well, I had more to say than I thought...lol. Thanks for reading. Best wishes for success for all of us!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Jem594 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm not a long writer but I'll try to give you some info about me. I'm 59, 5'10 and 431 lbs. I have disabling osteoarthritis in my back and knees and sometimes my hands, I had double knee replacement about 8 years ago. It worked fine but is stiff and hard to walk now. I use a walker to get around in the house and I haven't been outside for months. I'm getting a ramp built to , hopefully, get me out.
    I'm married (30 years) and have two great sons who have their own disabilities. One son has Autism. The other son has T1Diabetes,
    My current weight loss journey began when my Dr said my sugars were starting to get high. I see my son struggle and I don't want to go down that road. I have to get this weight off. I tend to get emotional when the scale doesn't cooperate and I suffer from depression and anxiety.
    Well, I had more to say than I thought...lol. Thanks for reading. Best wishes for success for all of us!

Welcome to the group.
    It’s late. I’ll try and remember to come back tomorrow and start up a thread on how CICO relates to disability.
    For one thing, stress contributes to water retention. And then there’s often many fewer steps. Which means the “calories out” part is lower than MFP assumes.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Welcome to the group!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Well. I didn’t get to the new thread today.

Tomorrow. I promise.
  • LynneM1980
    LynneM1980 Posts: 103 Member
    Good morning everyone and thanks for adding me! I'm Lynne. I'll be 41 this month. I'm 6 feet tall and started my journey (this time) at 306 lbs. I've got fibromyalgia, ibs, and possibly liver cancer. I go for a biopsy on the the 16th. I too have been telling my doctor that I'm SICK, just to be told it's because I'm fat. It took an ER trip last month to find growths on my liver.

I'm married and have 3 children, my youngest will be 18 on my birthday. He's my birthday baby lol. I've also got a 2 year old grandson. I've got a very unhealthy relationship with food. Bah humbug!
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Welcome to the group! I’m sorry to hear that the medical system has treated you poorly and didn’t listen. My fingers are crossed for your biopsy. Sending warm thoughts your way.
  • Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Hi Lynne, welcome! I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I also have ibs, caused by having my gall bladder out many years ago. It is a PITA! I had previously lost 60 lbs and went to the hospital for some reason and the dr said "It's time you lost weight." very disheartening that they just judge us on our size and not on our personal needs. Don't let the medical system get you down. We're here for you!!
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 15 Member
    Hi , just joined group but having difficulties with the Fitness pal website ! Can’t send out friend requests so PLEASE send me a friend request if you would like ! I currently weigh 17.5 stone and have really Struggled with various health conditions for a number of years, Including Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, this affects my joints and organs, my joints dislocate and are damaged because of this , I find exercising or even walking / movement exhausting and painful , and since my back surgery 10 years ago My mobility has decreased massively, I also have underactive thyroid and chronic fatigue.
    Having said that, I still remain hopeful that I can improve my situation. I really enjoy mindfulness and self compassion ( very different from self pity !) and have a much better mindset nowadays! I take every day ( and sometimes every moment) as it comes , would love to be in a small group of people who log and post regularly to share our experiences along the way !
  • MargaretYakoda
    Yes! Self compassion and realistic expectations is key!

More so for disabled individuals.
    I often roll my eyes at some of the advice on the main forums. Well intended, usually. But …. well. … ableds are not always as informed about what it’s like to be disabled for longer than it takes to heal a broken femur. No shade to them. They don’t know what they don’t know.

Glad you’re here, @Zebra_Aitch