Rec Room

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,967 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    After a couple of hours of frantically doing touch-ups, cleaning up etc., we sprayed the first coat of primer-sealer. We went through two gallons rather quickly... and didn't paint the ceiling... but overall, I'm pleased with the results.

Pam says she thinks she'll use a roller when it comes time to do the final painting. It was her first time using an airless sprayer and I think she's worried she won't do as good of a job as she might with a normal roller...

The picture is a bit deceiving... the room is nearly 24 feet long and nearly 15 wide...

btskx8ng2kzw.png
    s7gbiebo3v3x.png
    7pldc26s7jh5.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    It took more than a gallon to paint the ceiling with the sprayer. No doubt it is much faster than painting with a brush or roller but it seems messier as well. Part of that could be due to inexperience with the equipment.

My wife's style with the sprayer is like none I've ever seen... she waved it about with a jerking motion like she was using a spray can... When I started off painting the wall to show her what I believe to be the best method (having used spray guns before although not this particular model), she nodded but then did things her own way. Whatever... most everything got painted and that's what is important.

I titled this artistic piece "Overspray; It Happens"

c8j9q4viutsb.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lol on the overspray. I don't let my husband near a sprayer any more!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    12" LED light fixture at the base of the stairs...

0l3bx62muhw4.png

18" LED light fixture in the centre of the room...

pbgghs4cx5g9.png

Pot lights along both sides of the room...

5mx078ob3v4o.png
  • fitlin50
    Options
    The lights look great!
  • DogloverTerri
    DogloverTerri Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE room. No wonder you’ve had so much work. Looks great. I can’t wait to see the finished product. 👊
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I reinstalled the barn-style door. It's metal & glass.

mv3qvnjjpsoc.png

This HVAC return vent has a bit of a story. I find it amusing; hopefully you do too.

That wall is a weight bearing wall and, being close to a corner, the space between the studs is less than the usual 10 inches. The return vent ties into the HVAC system by a 5 inch which is the standard size for HVAC supply lines. Whoever installed it originally created a custom inlet which might sound good but it really wasn't... It was a piece of sheet metal basically pounded, bent and warped before being nailed between the studs. The previous vent cover was modified... literally cut to fit... When I looked at the house, I noticed the odd hacked up vent cover but I figured as long as it works, who cares? I wasn't aware of the ugly mess behind it.

So when I removed the old drywall, I looked at the old modified vent cover and tossed it, figuring I would come up with something better. I looked at the custom inlet and shook my head. I can't imagine any professional taking pride in such a mess but I guess craftsmanship isn't common anymore.

When I was ready to drywall that corner, I decided the best way to deal with it was to scrap the "custom" inlet. I replaced it with a standard 4x10 outlet which I turned 90 degrees to fit the confined space between the studs. It fits the 5 inch return line perfectly... and 4x10 vent covers are available. The louvers are normally supposed to face down for esthetic reasons and supposedly to inhibit dust from getting sucked into the system. I mounted it such that the louvers face toward the corner.

6c7wv9xgw5ry.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Wow. Love the door. So much going on behind the scenes
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Wow. Love the door. So much going on behind the scenes
    This house is a "back split" with three levels. The main floor has the kitchen and living room. Upstairs has three bedrooms and the main bathroom (6 steps up) and the lower level has the rec room, the laundry room and a second bathroom.

As a result of the configuration, there is a crawl space (around 4 feet high) under the main part of the house. The HVAC system is housed there and plenty of room for storage. It's called a crawl space for a reason... moving around inside to replace the furnace filters or access stored items is not easy... The half-door was original to the house, giving access to the crawl space.

When I renovated, I removed a small hallway which originally separated the laundry room from the rec room and bath. I built a new wall making the laundry room smaller (although it's still far from small) and got a new barn-style door, this meant I had a couple of extra doors and frames. So I modified one of the doors and it's frame which I used to add a second half-door directly across from the HVAC system.

In this pic, the new half-door is on the right. In the background, you can see the original half door and the sideways HVAC return. The hole for the other lower level HVAC return is next to the new half door...

7pldc26s7jh5.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    More "fit and finish" work while waiting for the flooring to arrive. Rather than drywalling the window returns, I chose to do them with paint-grade wood. The rec room window opening is 8 feet long and 29 inches tall. Not bad...

wuz4f0q0ijtt.png

8zqyzg8wig9d.png

0dku01yd5slw.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The laundry room window is 6 foot by 29 inches. In both cases, I made sure everything was square & plumb...

mkst4lbp7e91.png

n7in44dxvrno.png
  • fitlin50
    Options
    Everything looks great!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: »
    Everything looks great!

Thank you. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I just got back from using spray foam to insulate/fill the space between the returns and the framing. One can wasn't enough... so I guess I need to go back the the hardware store again...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I get a kick out of the names for renovation products. "Luxury Vinyl Plank" sounds modestly swanky, right? Not sure it's accurate to call any rubber-backed product delivered in cardboard boxes "luxury" but whatever... Supposedly vinyl plank last better in my kind of application than other kinds of flooring.

Although it's supposedly impervious to water and not supposed to swell etc., the instructions say to take the product out of the packaging and lay it flat on the floor for 48 hours to acclimatize... Not sure I understand why...

3detau2kex0c.png

3d7ol0z0qehi.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    And so it begins...

h136h8d0umwa.png

Just over half done... After moving all of the "stuff" out of the way, I swept up with sweeping compound and then vacuumed everywhere...

64wcxul284r0.png

Done for the night. The remaining bits will require cutting etc. I was getting tired and I don't want to make mistakes.

vo5brjss12vc.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Wow. Looks GREAT and beautiful.👏👏👏
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I finished up the flooring (woot woot) and everything went well.

hbgi2fsjcjf1.png

Remounted the door to the laundry room.

ehy0d64lbfx7.png

Now... time to move onto the laundry room...

hu2l36wcqbqg.png
  • fitlin50
    Options
    Looks fabulous..............nice job Wayne and Pam!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Here's the before & after in filling the gap. There needs to be a gap; houses expand & contract with changes in temperature/humidity. The trick is to hide the gap under the baseboard. Now I can do that!

ey6ycxwjik8c.png

dfnlt367bbbe.png
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressive! Well done!