Rec Room

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,969 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: Β»
    Wow! Impressive! Well done!

Next step is baseboards. I'm not looking forward to to that. The walls weren't particularly straight or plumb before I redrywalled... but that means the trim around the doors doesn't always align with the new drywall. Not quite sure how I'm going to work around that.
  • DogloverTerri
    DogloverTerri Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That window looks great πŸ‘
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That window looks great πŸ‘

Thank you. I don't know that I've ever had a house before with an 8ft long window... and the one in the laundry room is 6ft long... Despite being on the north side of the house, they bring much light into the space. Considering it is below grade, that's a huge consideration.

If this was my forever house (and I was considering it that before Pam came on the scene) my plan was to excavate outside the 8ft window deeply enough to be able to replace that window with a patio door. This would mean pouring an additional foundation and a set of stairs leading toward the garage. The house next door has the same model of house and did that to their laundry room window. Oddly though, they enclosed the entrance which means it gets little or no light.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Not a fan of doing fussy work like baseboards and trim but it needs to happen...

rdotvq65o1pf.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The baseboard is the same profile as the window trim but wider... so much so that my mitre saw can't handle it... I ended up finding a way to use my tablesaw to make my cuts but damn...

5v1hhfdv7uho.png

db4a7cdut31f.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Second access door to the crawl space... plus a bit more...

25xgwmqynrji.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    The door jamb is leveled well (the door works perfectly) but not square with the drywall because ugh... The left side was close but the right side was 1/2" ahead of the drywall. According to youtube, many people would rather replace the entire door jamb rather than trying to fix the existing one... If I'd noticed earlier, I might have removed the jamb and reinstalled it squared properly. Anyway, with a planer and chisel, I removed the offending half inch...

Yes, I also scraped the drywall by accident but that will be covered by the trim. I measured (twice) and then I cut the trim. Not sure what was going on in my brain but I cut it wrong so both pieces were too short. Seems like such a waste of good wood...

90fc2ue7gskx.png
    lolfz24ymryj.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks like lots of challenges but you've persevered! And it all looks great!
  • UncleMac
    edited November 2021
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: Β»
    Looks like lots of challenges but you've persevered! And it all looks great!
    I'm not looking forward to caulking, prime & painting... but it will keep me occupied! I still have a few pieces of baseboard to finish up but the moulding store is awaiting stock...

487zrblbip2v.png
    w63imro70bws.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Shadow makes my cut lines look worse than they are... lol

axls4kinej5p.png

I was nervous about cutting around the return vent because of that narrow bit on the right... but everything worked out just fine.

k5i9jgpctezd.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Hard to imagine but this piece of baseboard is 16 feet long. It's difficult/awkward doing the mitre cuts on pieces that long but I'm getting it done. The piece with the vent grill is 9 feet long.

1iqhyxq47c7p.png

rej36hbbi4lw.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Man oh man. You do really really good work. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Man oh man. You do really really good work. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thank you. I think I would starve as a craftsman as I'm too slow and careful. lol
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I'm sure it's just my camera but damn... it seems odd that this wall is just over 14 feet but looks small.
    bbcwr39h75po.png

Here's the final piece added in the corner next to the vent.
    zau2wap22ml3.png

Okay maybe not the final piece... I decided to trim out around the stairs....
    oexo67vejami.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're almost done now. Nice work though. Yeah I wouldn't think you'd make much per hour but it's really great to have skills like this.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: Β»
    Looks like you're almost done now. Nice work though. Yeah I wouldn't think you'd make much per hour but it's really great to have skills like this.

There's something rather satisfying about finishing things off. I can always find flaws but, as the old saying goes, never let perfect get in the way of good enough.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I decided to change things up a bit from crawling about on the floor so I tackled a slightly different project. As this house is a split, there are stairs both up and down. The space under the upstairs is a storage space. It is skinned with plywood that was varnished. I removed the access door and then sanded both the door and the wall until it was as smooth as I could get it. Then I put on a coat of primer, gave each another quick sanding and then two coats of the same blue paint that my wife used for the accent walls. In the stair picture, you can see the accent wall on the other side of the stairs.

07b721fuzihq.png

The knob was a single small bronze-coloured piece. I decided to replace it with a black cabinet pull I had left over... And yes, the door is blue... not sure why the picture looks so white?

aseltw8jqxvj.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    I like it πŸ‘
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I like it πŸ‘

I managed to surprise my wife. When I sent the pictures, Pam said she never thought of doing that and she loves it.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Done. Not bad if I do say so...

lkm22ov8ggtk.png

And I haven't painted the trim yet but it's still looking great, I think.

qajt2o3m3eyi.png