Keto and fiber (oat fiber)?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
edited August 2021 in Social Groups
I have been on a keto diet for 6 months. It had been going well. I was losing weight, slowly. I had great labs in June so my dr took me off one of my diabetes medicines. After that my biometrics were bad. My fasting glucose was back up in 120s, weight going up, blood ketones were down. That has pretty much straightened itself out except I have trouble staying in my calorie goal because I get hungry. So my weight has stalled. I have been hovering around 160 for 2 months.

I posted on the main forum. One suggestion was to make sure I get enough protein. I added some protein powder to a smoothie and that helped. I eat poultry, nuts, cheese, eggs but not enough I guess. Another idea was fiber. I eat vegetables but not a lot of fiber. I put chia seeds in smoothie. Someone in a different forum suggested oat fiber or flax seeds.

Any ideas on how to add fiber without adding carbs? Or how to deal with hunger?

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I use flaxseed and I eat roasted sunflower kernals ...as for dealing with hunger... I eat small things throughout the day ... coffee in the morning .... salad or soup for lunch .... nuts for snack and a smoothie ....and protein and veggies for dinner ..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I have been on a keto diet for 6 months. It had been going well. I was losing weight, slowly. I had great labs in June so my dr took me off one of my diabetes medicines. After that my biometrics were bad. My fasting glucose was back up in 120s, weight going up, blood ketones were down. That has pretty much straightened itself out except I have trouble staying in my calorie goal because I get hungry. So my weight has stalled. I have been hovering around 160 for 2 months.

I posted on the main forum. One suggestion was to make sure I get enough protein. I added some protein powder to a smoothie and that helped. I eat poultry, nuts, cheese, eggs but not enough I guess. Another idea was fiber. I eat vegetables but not a lot of fiber. I put chia seeds in smoothie. Someone in a different forum suggested oat fiber or flax seeds.

Well you can't add fiber without carbs. Fiber is a carb. If anything focus on the specific fibrous carbs like raspberries, blackberries, chia seeds, or veggies. Personally, its the food combinations that i play with that effect my hunger. So i generally try to combine, protein, fat a d fiber. Without the combo, it isn't touching my hunger.

For example i can eat 10 eggs and still feel hungry. But if i do 4-5 eggs, with guacamole and berries will keep me full all day.
  • lorib642
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well you can't add fiber without carbs. Fiber is a carb. If anything focus on the specific fibrous carbs like raspberries, blackberries, chia seeds, or veggies. Personally, its the food combinations that i play with that effect my hunger. So i generally try to combine, protein, fat a d fiber. Without the combo, it isn't touching my hunger.

For example i can eat 10 eggs and still feel hungry. But if i do 4-5 eggs, with guacamole and berries will keep me full all day.

Thank you. I now realize how silly my question was. I just meant ways to add fiber to my diet which you answered.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you. I now realize how silly my question was. I just meant ways to add fiber to my diet which you answered.

No worries. I hope you realize I wasn't judging or any.

How many meals are you eating? And how many total calories? Are you exercising yet?
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What are your percentages for carb/protein/fat?
  • lorib642
    Options

How many meals are you eating? And how many total calories? Are you exercising yet?

Thank you

I used to graze throughout the day. I am moving towards 3 meals. Sometimes a snack. Light exercise. I walk our dog and have started an intro YouTube with hand weights. My target was 1340 but I have trouble staying under. I am eating about 1500 cal. 57F 5'5" 160 LBS. I get hungry.

As far as my macros I had suggested to me 55g protein 22g carb and 115g fat.
    I am not good at staying under the carb and I am not sure that is enough protein. The macros were suggested by a Dr who works with people for brain health. I have a mental illness but my symptoms are controlled by medication.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you

I used to graze throughout the day. I am moving towards 3 meals. Sometimes a snack. Light exercise. I walk our dog and have started an intro YouTube with hand weights. My target was 1340 but I have trouble staying under. I am eating about 1500 cal. 57F 5'5" 160 LBS. I get hungry.

As far as my macros I had suggested to me 55g protein 22g carb and 115g fat.
    I am not good at staying under the carb and I am not sure that is enough protein. The macros were suggested by a Dr who works with people for brain health. I have a mental illness but my symptoms are controlled by medication.

You are likely struggling since protein is so low. Fat alone is not very satiating. It's when you combine it with protein and some carbs where it is beneficial. It might be worth asking your doctor about increasing that to get full more. In general, 80-110g is ideal for most women.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you. It was a recommendation, but I think I will up the protein.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am 64, 5'7" and about 160 lbs and I feel better if I can get at least 70 gr protein in a day, though some days I don't make even that. I use whey powder to get a bit more in, though sometimes feel sleepy after drinking a shake that is just almond milk, whey and coffee blended together. Eating protein in real food slows down the absorption, but can't always do that. Still trying to get more protein in...
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In terms of managing T2D for me is all about net carbs. In terms of weight loss it’s calories and what works best for me is IF. I have coffee with cream and MCT Oil in the AM, the MCT Oil helps with hunger and then usually a salad for lunch (with chicken thigh) and then a big dinner, pork steak (or chicken thigh or hamburger or sausage) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) with cheese sauce or Alfredo sauce. I can keep this around 1,500 - 1,600 calories and if blended with burning a few hundred calories with exercise then I can lose weight. My biggest problem is I haven’t figured out as much versatility in my meals that doesn’t slow weight loss. When I veer off too much my weight loss stalls but when I come back to this it takes off again. I tend to cycle between losing weight for a few months and then maintaining for a few months. I wish I could do better at just staying in weight loss mode but I either don’t get the exercise and/or go for more food variety and that stalls the weight loss. I can manage my T2D at 30-40 carbs but higher carbs often leads to more calories for me and I seem to lose weight at 20 carbs. I also really like breakfast but it often means too many calories. Anyway that’s what I find. I don’t worry much about the details these days, I used to but I seem to do best by just keeping it simple.
  • lorib642
    edited August 2021
    Options
    rmac18 wrote: »
    In terms of managing T2D for me is all about net carbs. In terms of weight loss it’s calories and what works best for me is IF. I have coffee with cream and MCT Oil in the AM, the MCT Oil helps with hunger and then usually a salad for lunch (with chicken thigh) and then a big dinner, pork steak (or chicken thigh or hamburger or sausage) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) with cheese sauce or Alfredo sauce. I can keep this around 1,500 - 1,600 calories and if blended with burning a few hundred calories with exercise then I can lose weight. My biggest problem is I haven’t figured out as much versatility in my meals that doesn’t slow weight loss. When I veer off too much my weight loss stalls but when I come back to this it takes off again. I tend to cycle between losing weight for a few months and then maintaining for a few months. I wish I could do better at just staying in weight loss mode but I either don’t get the exercise and/or go for more food variety and that stalls the weight loss. I can manage my T2D at 30-40 carbs but higher carbs often leads to more calories for me and I seem to lose weight at 20 carbs. I also really like breakfast but it often means too many calories. Anyway that’s what I find. I don’t worry much about the details these days, I used to but I seem to do best by just keeping it simple.

Thank you. That gives me ideas and hope