What's On Your Mind Today?

Options

Replies

• jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri - I agree — the owls are so cute! I wondered the same thing about the owls in August as our schools 🇨🇦 go back in September (typically, the Wednesday after Labour Day weekend). That weekend (coming up!) is a public statutory holiday in Canada and it is always the first Monday in September. It marks the end of the summer and back to school.

Normally, the Canadian football league (American style football, not what we call soccer) starts its season in mid-June. The 21 week season runs until end of November. We don’t watch or follow the American (NFL nor college) football leagues, so I don’t know the rhythms of their calendars. The footballs for September had me curious too.

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October (Monday October 11, 2021). It is always celebrated on the second Monday of October.

I really love the global diversity we encounter on MFP! Thanks @Mrs_Hoffer for explaining.

Julie
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Halloween in October and high school football games.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    While Hallowe'en is not very British, French or Dutch, it is being celebrated more and more. Here in France it's usually during Autumn Half Term, so my little neighbours tend to be at their grandparents'. I do buy some sweets, just in case, but usually end up giving them to the kids once they are back home.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    @victorious55 mentioned Kitchen Close in their September 1st post. Can someone tell me what this is please? Thank you!

@misslindeena, I was struggling with visiting the kitchen for extras. I needed to form a habit of the fact that once I am done eating my last meal. Mentally, I do not need any other thing. I want to be able to clean my kitchen, walk into the kitchen for a glass of water, etc., without eating any other food. I should not be sabotaging myself. I need my health. No overeating, no guilty feeling, no tommy ache, all those horrible feelings you get when you overeat, etc.

I decided to add that to my personal accountability. I am glad to report that I have been very successful. It feels good. I want to maintain that habit.

I can now clean my kitchen in the evening, get my glass of water, put away food, without the careless, useless urge to put them in my mouth :)

Congratulations @victorious55 – what a great success! I am still at the stage where “shutting the kitchen down” means go to bed for the night and stop thinking you have physical hunger. You inspire me 💐
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I really like the Kitchen Closed concept. My oldest son is a chef and once they have served the last desserts, they clean the kitchen and no more food gets served: kitchen closed! I use it for myself, to stop me nibbling in the evening, after my evening meal ...
  • bookieNJ
    Options
    Gotta get back to kitchen closed!
  • jamcnewman
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi everyone — Julie here.
    Thanks for such a great first week — tremendous insights and success in every form being shared.

I have something on my mind today: my challenge in reaching my protein target, and thought I’d share it here in case someone had some insights to share.

I have made it a mini-goal for focus this month and am having increasing success reaching my protein target! It is really so much harder than any of the other macros.

I don’t want to use “supplements” for protein as my real effort is to find a way to make this a healthy path that I can keep for the remainder of my life. It ties into “I am nourishing my body with real home cooked food when I am hungry.”

I hate the taste of most protein supplements and I am trying to have as “clean” an approach to what I out into or on my body as possible. They appear to be full of chemicals and that does not work for me, at this time.

ANY insights welcomed! Thank you 🥰
  • bookieNJ
    Options
    have had 2 days in a row where the kitchen is closed! i have fasting blood work tomorrow so no choice about it.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    @bookieNJ Great job on kitchen closed and will be thinking of you for your fasting bloodwork. You’ve done your best and it will be good to have feedback that reflects where things are now so that you can take any necessary further steps, or know your success.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @jamcnewman <> I agree with you on not liking protein supplements. I prefer to eat actual food. If you can tolerate seafood, you might like to try adding prawns 🍤 to your repertoire. I keep a large bag of frozen cold water prawns in my freezer which have a really good protein content for very few calories. It takes a few minutes to thaw them in a couple of changes of cold water.
    100g - 73 cals; zero carbs; 0.8g fat; and 16.5g protein.

You can find a list of other protein rich food on the BBC website

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/best-sources-protein

In Northern Ireland schools reconvene at the end of August. It used to be on the 1st of September, but these days they bring the new kids for orientation in a few days before the official start of term. And teachers return a few days before that to prepare for the new starts. We traditionally start about 2 weeks before the rest of the UK.

Our tradition was to celebrate Halloween combined with Guy Fawkes Night, bonfires and Fireworks. We collected pennies 'for the Guy' (Guy Fawkes - Gunpowder Plot - 5 November 1605. He tried unsuccessfully to blow up UK Parliament) The American Trick or Treat tradition has largely superseded our traditional celebration, because fireworks were banned during the Troubles.

😍 All the international insights.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,727 Member
    Options
    @jamcnewman I also sometimes find it challenging to reach my protein goal – many high protein foods are calorie dense. I presume you eat chicken, turkey, other lean meats, and fish (and seafood eg prawns as suggested above). Eggs, yogurt and other dairy products – but choose the low fat versions provided you like them. Throw a tin of beans into a meat recipe. Some veg have a useful amount of protein.
    I don’t use protein supplements but I do like the Nature Valley bars (esp the choc chip) and some other higher protein bars.
    Good luck!
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Thanks so much @TerriRichardson112 and @lesdarts180 I do eat meat, try to slip cooked lentils into anything possible, but adding more beans to ground meat dishes is a great suggestion. I eat dairy and especially non fat Greek yogurt for the protein boost. I do need to look more carefully at which vegetables have higher protein counts.

Have kept away from having shellfish in the house as my husband is deathly allergic. I could probably manage having more of this myself at home (usually try to limit my enjoyment of scallops and shrimp to dining out, but the calories are so high in how they are prepared).

Thanks again for these great suggestions!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the owl conversation; they truly tickled me this month.

As to protein intake, this is - umm, like - Month #11 where I'm trying to get a reign on it.

And I need to log my daily progress so far this month altogether...
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    One thing I've heard mentioned a few times on Half Size Me @jamcnewman regarding increasing protein is that many people try to increase too quickly and get frustrated at how challenging it is within a limited calorie budget. Your story sounds like that may ring true as well.
    Not sure what your current average is and what you're working towards, but she definitely suggests setting smaller targets to increase to and getting comfortable at the new range before trying to increase again.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    One thing I've heard mentioned a few times on Half Size Me @jamcnewman regarding increasing protein is that many people try to increase too quickly and get frustrated at how challenging it is within a limited calorie budget. Your story sounds like that may ring true as well.
    Not sure what your current average is and what you're working towards, but she definitely suggests setting smaller targets to increase to and getting comfortable at the new range before trying to increase again.

Thanks for this @ashleycarole86 — it makes good sense to me!
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,557 Member
    Options
    Anybody do anything special to tempeh if you have it in your diet? Trying to increase my protein and keep missing the mark. I steamed it then marinaded it in some no sugar added baby rays bbq sauce I added a little white vinegar as my bottle was almost empty and then baked for a total of 20 minutes. Not bad but… I am open to suggestions thanks in advance.