Replies

• JTreasures
    JTreasures Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,201 Member
    Options
    @clutterqueen Recipe for Creole Dump Chicken...we double it so we can have for lunch for a few days😁😁
    www.food.com/recipe/creole-dump-chicken-240528
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Sept 9 Check In
    Exercise: 20 min MommaStrong video, 30 min walk
    Tracked: Yes, planned ahead and ate the plan, except spontaneously decided to switch lunch and dinner
    Under: Yes, as planned :smile:

I weigh in every day, first thing. I have been doing that for uh... close to 20 years now... which is close to half my life. I did stop during my first pregnancy when my weight gain was out of control due to out of control morning sickness - it was too discouraging. During the pregnancy with my second child, I was well medicated and able to keep the weight gain within what was recommended, so I felt good about it and did continue to track my weight throughout.

I do not bring my scale on vacation, and I usually see a weight gain on vacation. To me that's just part of a vacation, and I enjoy the break and get back on track after.

For many years I had a fairly inaccurate digital scale, which I got on over and over again each morning until it stayed steady 3x in a row. It measured to the 0.5 pounds. I knew, based on weigh ins and the doctor's office, that it was 2 pounds lighter than what was correct, and honestly that delayed me getting a new scale for a long time - I didn't want the gain!

Just a few months ago, my wife got me a Withing's scale for a gift. It measures to the 0.1 pound and shows a consistent weight no matter how many times I step on it. And it syncs with its own app and automatically with MFP. I actually find that it is better for my mental health to not have to remember the weight and write it down somewhere. And with measuring to 0.1 pounds, I am able to see good and bad changes quicker.

But I did not like to see the "gain" of 2 pounds! It honestly was and still is very discouraging. I am losing weight very slowly, so that made a big difference in my progress towards my goal.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    So just a comment because I know as a maintainer and a non daily weigher I am in the minority. For those of you who have said that every time they stopped weighing they gained the weight back let me pose this question.

Did you stop weighing because you were afraid of the scale and were over eating? My guess is yes. Because in the past that would be me also. It wasn't the weighing that was the problem. It was everything else. So if you think deeply about your regaining of weight look for the root cause. The scale is just a metric. You probably were not logging or exercising or wearing the same clothes either.

It's a good tool and everyone is different of course but it's been over a year for me and I think it IS possible to maintain without having to track your weight daily.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,550 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @yrc_pr

I would recommend an apple if you have apple products. I have used garmin in the past and have been quite happy with the product I only switched as I went to an apple phone which I find easier than android.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Excellent day @doubleplay_643

@yrc_pr - Tough question! It depends on budget, what activities you plan to use it for, and what metrics you would find most helpful.
    If budget is unlimited I have never heard of an unhappy Garmin Fenix or Apple Watch owner.
    For the budget conscious I have heard countless great reviews among Garmin VIVO series and Fitbits users.
    Then there are lots of options in between. I have owned two different Garmin Forerunner watches over the last several years and been extremely pleased. While primarily used for running, they track other activities too.

Awesome day @Jillygirl0220

Thanks for sharing that weight tracking site @Anya_000 I had not heard of that one before. And congrats on making a dull day into a 3 yes day!

If having pants that are too big are the only problem then things are definitely going right @RangerRickL

@readyornot1234 I started weighing myself throughout the day for a while, it is fascinating how much weight we can gain during the day.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    September 9

UAC goals
    ✅ Exercise 20+ minutes
    ✅ Calories within budget
    ✅ Tracked every detail I consumed
    Pass days used: 0/3

Additional challenges
    ✅ 3+ strength sessions in last 7 days (9/9, 9/7, 9/3)
    ✅ 17k+ steps (22,582 steps)
    ✅ 7 day avg. 7.5+ walking miles (8.7 miles)
    Additional challenges met: 9/9 days

Today's Activities
    🚶‍♂️ 76 min Morning Walk (4.25 miles)
    🚶‍♂️ 97 min Afternoon Walk (5.21 miles)
    🏋️‍♂️ 26 min Upper Body (Dumbbell Bench Press, Banded Lat Pull-Downs, Banded Tricep Extensions, Dumbbell Rows, Dumbbell Overhead Press, Dumbbell Curls)
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    @jamcnewman - your story is so inspiring. I am in awe of your strength and determination! Really amazing.