Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,705 Member
    Options
    Bible Reading
    Psalm 95

Commentary

Dealing with Unbelief

If worship is ascribing to God ultimate value, then a lack of worship shows the deeper heart problem of unbelief.

In worship, we give God the ultimate glory, honour, praise, adoration, and devotion due His worth. The Psalmist sings before God, thanks God, bows and kneels before God.

All these expressions involve the body, mind, and emotions and engage the whole being. This is true worship.

In true worship, we experience a deep sense of awe, beauty, joy, and reverence before God, and it changes and transforms us.

What stops this kind of intimate and transformative worship? Our own hearts.

We all worship and were created to worship, but the question is who or what we worship.

Do you recognise that there are always competing values in our lives to which we ascribe ultimate value and worth?

How do I know I worship these competing values?

I know because they control my actions, emotions, and will.

We will do anything to attain or achieve these values and goals.

They dictate our time, money, and resources.

They capture our heart and keep us preoccupied.

They keep us awake at night and we feel we can’t live without them. This is a language of worship.

And these values can be anything from a relationship, to career, personal goals, respect, power, acceptance, comfort, or social status.

True worship is hindered because we believe in competing values to give worth and significance.

We believe in false saviours to give security and confidence.

Rather than placing our complete trust in our loving Father, we look for false loves and give our hearts to them instead. We struggle with unbelief.

The key to overcoming unbelief is to first recognise your tendency to worship a false saviour in any form or function.

Come to Jesus and repent of your misplaced belief and remind yourself of the beautiful gospel.

Private and public worship rekindles our heart and recalibrates us to the gospel.

When we meditate on scripture and gather as a community to worship, God leads us to a heightened experience and awareness of who He is.

Unbelief is also a sign of unrest in our hearts. At Meribah and Massah, people didn’t trust God and did not enter God’s rest.

When you rest in Christ and what He has done for you on the cross, He leads you to true rest and true worship.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:
    Psalm 112

Commentary:

Dealing with Unhappiness

In a world filled with bad news, there is much to be unhappy about. And if we are not careful, it leads to cynicism, apathy, indifference, isolation, and mistrust. We don’t want our hearts broken anymore, and we avoid risking it. But the solution to an unhappy life is not to be self-protective and self-preserving.

The one who fears the Lord does not have to be afraid of bad news. God does not say that He will exempt us from bad news, but that He will be with us in the worst situations of life. When there is darkness and gloom, light breaks through for us because God is gracious and compassionate. Our hearts are not sinking in despair, but are steadfast and secure.

We know that as God’s children, this bad news is not the final news. But we have good news and greater news of God’s ultimate salvation. There is a day coming when our unhappiness will be turned to jubilant joy when Christ returns. We have seen it happen before. The bad news of the death of Jesus on the cross turned into celebration on the third day when Jesus defeated sin and death and rose from the grave.

Unhappiness in this world is real. But it is temporary. Though sorrow may last for the night, joy comes in the morning. You are precious and beloved of God. You are the apple of His eye and He knows you by name. You are sons and daughters of the Most High. The good news of the gospel of what Jesus has done for you and who you are in Christ is reason for much joy.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading
    Psalm 126

Commentary

Dealing with Tears

As followers of Christ, we should not be surprised by sorrow, failure, brokenness, and suffering. Tears and joy are both part of our Christian walk. The religious mentality views that God owes us a happy life because of our good behavior. We tend to ask questions like, why me? What wrong did I do to deserve this? What is wrong with me? A religious person gets mad and angry with God because of suffering.

But a person who is transformed by the gospel understands that a life of faith has rejoicing and weeping, joy and tears.

Our present tears remind us of what God has done in the past. We have experienced His deliverance, provision, grace, and kindness in times past, and we long for it in our present struggles.

Our present tears also remind us of what is coming. We long for a time when there will be no more tears and sorrow. And we long for Jesus to return to make everything right.

A deep understanding of the gospel makes us weep more for the injustice, pain, and sin around us and we cry out to God to restore our lives.

As followers of Jesus, we not only weep more, but we weep differently than the world. We know our tears are not in vain.

In verses 5–6, the Psalmist urges us to sow our tears in hope and expectation like a faithful farmer.

The reason we sow our tears in the presence of God is because we know we will reap with joy.

We know that sorrow lasts for the night, but joy comes in the morning.

We understand that there is an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison awaiting those who persevere through their tears.

Look at Jesus, who wept for Jerusalem.

Look at Jesus, who had wept in the garden of Gethsemane (Luke 22:39–46, Hebrews 5:7).

Jesus was a man of sorrows. His tears produced our joy, His weakness produced our strength, and His humiliation produced our crown. He endured for the joy set before Him.

As we follow Jesus, we experience the same tears and the same joy.

Don’t waste your tears. Don’t weep like this world does.

Bring your tears to God and sow in hope and faith like a faithful farmer.

And when life brings us to tears, we don’t lose hope, we don’t give up hope, we don’t respond in anger, and we don’t wallow in self-pity or be low with disappointment.

But the same sorrow produces new joy.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Psalm 137

Commentary

Dealing with Anger

How do you deal with anger that results from the pain of injustice and evil? Some seek vengeance. Religious people try to control their anger and suppress it. This makes them smile on the outside and resent on the inside. As anger seethes within, we become cynical, hurt, bitter, suspicious, and withdrawn and live out of that pain. If we don’t deal with anger, it becomes a controlling emotion. All of life is seen through the prism of our anger and hurt. It affects every aspect of life and distorts and disfigures us.

The Psalmist remembers violent injustice, insults and taunts, threats and destruction in the past. The remembrance causes weeping. But the injustice rages anger within. There is a cry for justice in this Psalm.

When you deal with your anger, know that God understands your anger. It is not hidden and He is not surprised. God understands our hurt, pain, and cry for justice. We are called to bring our anger before God. Pray your anger. Seek God and not vengeance. Be angry and do not sin. How is this possible? Is it possible to bring my anger, hurt, disappointments before God and not take it out on people?

The reason why we can pray our anger to God is because we know that He is the ultimate judge. He goes into action on our behalf. We may never get perfect justice in this world. But we know that one day when the ultimate judge comes, He will make all things right. God is a righteous judge. And because He is the ultimate judge, you and I don’t have to seek vengeance.

Know that on the cross, Jesus pays for all the injustice done against us. He took it upon Himself to pay for it with His perfect life and death. But He also pays for our wickedness and the injustice we have committed against others. And because of His sacrifice, we don’t have to face the wrath of God’s judgment. The gospel moves my heart. The gospel comforts me in my pain. The gospel heals my hurt. It is at the cross that I can get true justice and true mercy.

The gospel not only heals your anger but also gives you power to overcome your anger. Don’t let Jesus be hidden from your hurt and anger. You can find rest and healing when you bring your anger to Him.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading
    Psalm 139
    Key Verse:
    Verse 14

Commentary:

Day 1: You are Wonderfully Made

Did you know that according to scientists the odds of you being born are about one in four hundred trillion or more? A miracle means something is so unlikely it is pretty much impossible. By that definition, you are a miracle!

Contrary to what people or science textbooks might tell you, you are not the result of random cosmic collisions. Your spirit knows better. You didn’t wonderfully evolve. You’ve been wonderfully made. The universe is not looking out for you, the One who breathed it into existence is. Discovering the life you’ve been created for begins with believing you have been made by God and for God.

To be fearfully [lovingly] and wonderfully made means you are not an accident. God knit you together in your mother’s womb and you have been made with love, dignity, purpose, wonder, and awe. There is nothing you can do to add or take away from your inherent worth.

When the world tells you that you are defined by your struggles, accomplishments, or appearance, hide in God, the Author of your life and the source of your true value, identity, and worth. In Him, your true identity and worth can never be shaken.

Reflect
    How does what you believe about how you came to exist influence your sense of identity and purpose?

Prayer

God, I see your fingerprints all around me in what You have created. I praise You because I have been lovingly and wonderfully made in Your image. Help me rest in the truth that my identity and worth come from You alone.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading
    John 3:16

Commentary:

Day 2: You are Made to Know God 

Not only have you been wonderfully made but you’ve also been created to know God and to have a relationship with Him. As a little girl, I always believed in God, but I didn’t know I could have a real and life-giving relationship with Him. It wasn’t until I was eighteen and found myself in a psychiatric hospital depressed and wanting to end my life that I began reading the Bible for the first time. As I poured over the Gospels, I discovered not only was I made by God but I was also created to know God through a personal relationship with Jesus, His Son.

Broken as a girl could be, I saw that Jesus loved the broken and came to offer them hope and healing. I went from believing in God as Creator to recognizing my need for a Savior and finding one in Jesus.

There has never been a moment in your life when you haven’t been loved by the Lord. No matter what you’ve done or how broken you are, you can’t outrun God’s love. Nothing will ever separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:38). Our unbelief cannot. Our bad decisions cannot. Our pride and self-sufficiency cannot. You will never escape His love for you.

Not only are we offered a love we can’t outrun, but we are given an identity that can’t be shaken. As Brennan Manning said, “Define yourself radically as one beloved by God. This is the true self. Every other identity is an illusion.” In Christ, we discover that we are radically loved without condition, completely forgiven, made to live forever, and never too far gone.

You are invited to live as His beloved and let it change your life forever.

Reflect

What would it look like to live fully and completely loved by Christ and have a friendship with God?

Prayer
    Jesus, Help me to define myself as radically loved by You as I seek You with all my heart. Take my life and make me who You created me to be.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

1Corinthians 10:31
    Acts 17:28

Commentary

Day 3: You Are Made to Glorify God

We live in a self-glorifying culture. The path to happiness seems paved with self-worship and self-promotion. We see celebrities, athletes, and influencers get rewarded for their self-exaltation, while the rest of us try to follow suit or wonder why we’re not quite good enough. This lifestyle might sparkle and shine, but eventually, the glitter wears off. The “likes” stop coming. Someone else shinier comes along.

Thankfully, we have been made for so much more than a life that’s all about us.

Our true purpose is popularly summarized in the Westminster Shorter Catechism, which says our chief end or purpose is “to glorify God and to enjoy him forever.”

As God’s image-bearers, we have been made to glorify God with our lives, to enjoy His goodness, and to make Him known.

We can’t add to or take away from God’s glory, but we can honor, praise, and worship Him through our thoughts, actions, and relationships.

When we live in a way that shines the spotlight on God, rather than ourselves, we are the most alive and happy. We have purpose and joy.

When we turn away from self-focus and fix our eyes above, we live in gratitude to God who is the giver of an ever good and perfect gift.

We humbly acknowledge that apart from God we are nothing.

We begin to really shine as we relax into the destiny God has for us: to be loved by Christ, to bring Him glory, and to love others well.

You have been made to glorify God and as you do you will find true purpose and peace.

Reflect

How can you glorify God through the gifts and passions He’s given you?

Prayer

God, Thank You for inviting me into a greater story — to live fully alive and satisfied in You. I acknowledge that every good and perfect gift in my life comes from You, and I resolve to glorify You in all I do and say so that others may know of Your goodness and love.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    No commentary but Read Psalm 111…📖✝️
  • 316Judith
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Bible Reading

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 44

Key Verses

Isaiah 43:1
    Isaiah 44:22

Commentary

Day 4: You Are Made to Be Redeemed

The world won’t love you broken. But Jesus—He will run to you. We all break. We all come apart, and experience heartbreak, disappointment, and hardship. Sometimes terrible things happen to us that don’t make sense.

Our struggles are not our identities, and with God, our brokenness never has the final say. As Elisabeth Elliot said, “Of one thing I am perfectly sure: God’s story never ends with ‘ashes.’”

Redemption means to take back our buyback. It is “the action of saving or being saved from sin, error or evil” and “the action of regaining or gaining possession of something in exchange for payment, or the clearing of a debt.”

Jesus has come to redeem our lives and bring beauty and purpose from even the most broken and painful parts of our stories.

Like a piece of Japanese Kintsugi pottery that has been shattered and then mended by a gold lacquer, by breaking and coming to God, not only can we become more whole, we can become more beautiful.

Christ’s power that has overcome death mends the places we are crushed, making us whole to shine like gold.

God’s eternal plan for you is good. Sometimes we experience our mending on this side of eternity. Sometimes we just get glimpses of it in this life. But if we don’t, we know it is coming in heaven, and that one day every tear will be wiped away (Revelation 21:4).

There will be no more mourning, no more death, or loss, or heartache. Restoration, healing, and wholeness are coming. Do not let your heart be troubled.

Reflect

How can you surrender the broken parts of your life to Christ?

Prayer

God, Thank You that You promise to redeem the pain and brokenness in my life. Thank You that Your eternal plan for me is good. I choose to trust that in Your perfect time, You will mend every shattered piece of my life and bring beauty from brokenness.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading
    Revelation 22: 16
    1 John 1:5-9
    Proverbs 3:5-8

Commentary

The Morning Star: A Prayer of Confession

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.” Revelation 22:16

Jesus, I wonder how different my life would look if I truly set You as the morning star of my heart and mind. How much wiser my choices would be if I depended upon Your leading rather than my own.

Will You be patient with me and extend a greater grace as I turn from the way of my own wisdom?

Will You gently lead me toward Your light so that I can have a compass of compassion, kindness and love in my life?

You are the guide, oh bright morning star. You are the hope of my calling. Help me when I fail and fall short to repent and return to You, Jesus, my morning star.

Praying this in Your name. Amen.

• 316Judith
    Options
    For December 1, 2022

Bible Reading

Revelation 22:16
    2 Peter 1:19
    Psalm 94:17-19

The Morning Star: A Prayer of Thanksgiving

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.” Revelation 22:16

Jesus, thank You that You are a lamp shining in a dark place. Thank You that I am not left to my own ways and given over to fear in dark places.

You provide the light for me to follow. You lift my head when I am afraid to look up. You are the morning star who encourages me to keep going knowing that a new day is on the horizon. As 2 Peter 1:19 says,

“So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.”

Thank You for the prophetic word made sure in You, the morning star arising in my heart.

• 316Judith
    edited December 2022
    Options
    For December 2, 2022

Bible Reading

Revelation 22:16
    John 12:35-36

Commentary

The Morning Star: A Prayer of Supplication

Jesus, I want others to know this name of Yours and experience the blessing of living according to Your will and Your ways.

Give me insight on how to share this name with those around me. Show me ways to inspire others to seek You and Your names more fully so that they will grow in their relationship with You.

Keep me on the path that is guided by You, the morning star, so that I do not lose my way. In all humility and gratitude, I follow You, knowing that every step I have taken to get me where I am today was only taken because You lit the way.

• 316Judith
    Options
    New Bible Reading Plan
    A Study in Faith

Bible Reading

Hebrews 11
    Key Verse: Hebrews 11:1

Faith of a Hero

By Suzanne Sauder

“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”—Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

This definition of faith is found in an incredibly inspiring chapter of the Bible which is commonly referred to as the Hall of Faith—and for good reason. Heroes are hung on its walls. These heroes’ stories are the kind that are told over and over again around late night campfires—stories of people who faced overwhelming obstacles and adversity, life-altering decisions, afflictions, and so much more. These men and women were considered righteous heroes, not because of their trials, but because of Who they trusted while in their trials.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines faith as “great trust or confidence in something or someone.” The author of Hebrews tells us that this someone is God Himself—Jehovah, our promise-making, promise-keeping God . . . the One who parts the seas, brings the dead to life, heals the brokenhearted, helps the lonely and forgotten find true family, and promises eternal life. The God of the Bible can be trusted with a confident faith that shapes our lives and sets our hearts aflame.

These heroes pressed on and did not give up!

Through faith, they passed through the Red Sea, conquered kingdoms, administered justice, shut the mouths of lions, and quenched the fury of flames. They were people whose weakness was turned to into strength. Everyone mentioned in this Hall of Faith realized that Earth was not their home. Instead, they set their hearts on a heavenly home, putting their confidence in the God who would be there waiting for them.

As I write this devotional, one of my personal mentors and heroes of the faith has only a few days left on Earth. As I watch her in her final days, there is a confidence in death that will forever be imprinted on my heart. She didn’t receive the earthly healing she’d hoped for, but trusts that God’s plan for her is better than her own.

Philip Yancey wrote, “I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse.” Just like Yancey, my mentor has an assurance of where and to Whom she is going and you can see it shining all over her face as we embraced and said goodbye one last time, until . . .

As you journey over the next 14 days focusing on the concept of faith, may you, like those in the Hall of Faith, grow more and more confident in the Who that is behind the what that is happening in your life!

Pause: Who are some of the heroes you would have in your Hall of Faith? Ask yourself, “Would I be found in anybody’s hall?”

Practice: Take a long, slow stroll through Hebrews chapter 11—what many call the Bible’s great Hall of Faith—and read of the men and women who have gone before us and knew the One to place their faith in. It will breathe confidence into your soul!

Pray: Lord, when trial or adversity comes this week, no matter how overwhelming it may be, may I remember that You are a miracle-working God, and may I have a deep confident assurance that You love me and will see me through! Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Hebrews 11
    Key verse:
    Hebrews 11:6

Commentary

More or Less: By Lisa Tchividjian

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”—Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)

So, how do we please God? When I first became a Christian, I was very concerned about the list of things I couldn’t do. I was happy I asked Jesus to be my Savior—I wanted a relationship with Him. But the world kept whispering in my ear that all the fun things in life would be taken from me in exchange for a life of pleasing God.

That was a lie—the same lie Satan told Eve in the Garden of Eden (the lie of more). Satan told Eve that if she ate the fruit she’d have more. She could be her own God. Yet the truth was that if she ate the fruit, she’d have so much less. She gave up eternity for death. She gave up her relationship with God to being separated from God. She gave up her home and even the future of her children for a moment of pleasure. God had given her so much more than a piece of fruit, and Satan tricked her into trading it all for a lie.

Hebrews 11:6 (MSG, emphasis added) reads, “Anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him.” This is where faith comes in. We have to believe that God wants more for us than we can possibly imagine.

So often, we believe the lie that sin will be fun and exciting. But the moment quickly fades, and all that we traded for the sin becomes evident. An affair costs our marriage, flooding our minds with social media causes anxiety, excessive spending causes debt, neglecting our health causes sickness. These simple pleasures are a smoke screen that put a wedge between us and God. We believe the lie that we’ll get more, but the truth is we’ll receive a life of less.

So, the question remains, “How do we please God?” By believing that God’s plan for our lives will be a life of more, rather than buying the lie of the world that always leads to less. Faith is believing what we don’t see. Yet the longer we walk with God the more we see how His plan for our lives is good and how faithful He really is.

One of my favorite songs is by Jason Upton called “Write Everything Down.” When we look back and see God’s faithfulness it builds our faith. That’s why our spiritual forefathers wrote everything down, so they could remember God’s faithfulness when the world tried to feed them a lie.

God loves us beyond what we can think or imagine. He wants us to experience an abundant life filled with love, joy, peace, purpose, and most importantly a relationship with Him. So, let’s build our faith, for God’s greatest pleasure is to see us living our best life.

Pause: What lie is Satan whispering in your ear today?

Practice: Write down a time in your life when you saw the faithfulness of God.

Pray: Lord, build my faith, so I may believe You want to give me a life of more. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Bible Reading

Luke 8
    Key Verses: 40-48
    I encourage you to meditate on the above verses: sure spoke to me (Judith)

Commentary

Healing Faith By Joannie Anderson

“Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him. Then a man named Jairus . . . fell at Jesus’ feet, pleading with him to come to his house because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying. As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. ‘Who touched me?’ Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, ‘Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.’ But Jesus said, ‘Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.’ Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. Then he said to her, ‘Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.’”—Luke 8:40-48 (NIV)

You’ve probably heard the old saying, “Desperate times call for desperate measures.” What extent are you willing to go to when you’re desperate? Are you currently facing a desperate situation, relationship, financial collapse, or what seems to be an impossible situation?

In today’s Scripture, we see two desperate situations. One is a man named Jarius who found his way to Jesus to express his desperate situation. He fell at Jesus’ feet and begged Him to come to his home because his 12-year-old daughter was dying.

While in route, Jesus encountered the second desperate person—a woman. Her name is not recorded, but the description of her need is. She had been struggling with bleeding for 12 years.

She must have been a woman of means prior to this illness because she had spent all the money she had on physicians and still had not been healed.

This woman was caught up in the crowd following Jesus to Jarius’ house. She knew her healing would be found in Jesus. For reasons not recorded but for a faith that was, she reached for the hem of Jesus’ garment. This woman had the faith to reach to the lowest and probably the dirtiest position of Jesus’ garments. Because of her faith, she believed just a touch would provide the healing (the miracle) she so desperately needed.

It’s been suggested the woman’s name wasn’t recorded so we could better identify with her. The crowds didn’t see her as they were pressed in tightly. Jesus recognized He had provided healing to a desperate follower. He stopped and asked the crowd who had touched His garments. And in Luke 8:48 (NIV), He said, “Daughter, your faith has healed you.”

Whatever our desperate needs are, we can fall at Jesus’ feet as Jarius did or reach out for Him like this woman. This week, share with your spouse, a trusted friend, or someone in your church family what your desperate need is and ask for their prayers and support as you take desperate measures to reach out to Jesus. He will reward your desperate acts of faith.

Pause: What are you desperately seeking from the Lord? Do you need a healing from a broken relationship, a deep trauma you’ve experienced, or a fear you’re gripped by? Reflect and consider what you’re seeking Jesus for right now?

Practice: Re-read the stories of Jarius and the
    woman in Luke 8. Seek to understand their state
    of mind and their actions and how you can apply that same urgency and desperation before Jesus.

Pray: Father, my situation seems desperate. Only You can provide the answer and the healing my situation needs. Will You give me the faith to trust You for Your answer? Help my faith to trust in You alone. Thank You for seeing me, knowing me, and hearing my desperate prayer. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Matthew 17

Commentary

Mustard Seed Faith
    By Shona Baselice

“He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew17:20 (NIV)

Summers are for reading! Well, every season is for reading in our house, but something happens within my heart the moment summer arrives. It beckons me to dive nose first into the pages of a really good book.

Maybe it’s because the days slow down during summer. Maybe it’s because my grandma took my brother and me on countless trips to our local library on rainy summer days growing up.

Whatever the reason, with summertime upon us, I started my search for the perfect book. And tucked away on a dusty shelf in our den, I found the winner—a biography of George Muller.

What an incredible man of faith! In his lifetime, he built five orphanages, cared for over 10,000 orphans, supported numerous missionaries through an organization he co-founded, pastored the same church for 66 years, worked for 68 years without ever accepting a salary, and from age 70-84 he traveled as an itinerant missionary to 42 countries, teaching in places over 5,000 times . . . and he did ALL of this without ever once sharing a single need to anyone but the Lord.

He never asked another soul for food, finances, or furnishings. He prayed about everything and watched the Lord show up time and time again in the most miraculous ways.

As I read about Muller’s life, I found myself thinking Wow, my faith doesn’t look like this, but Lord I SO want it to. But then the Lord reminds me of verses, like today’s verse, which show me that even the disciples, who walked so closely with Jesus, struggled with faith at times.

At first, Jesus’ response confused me because He told them they had “little faith” and all they needed was faith the size of a “mustard seed.” But isn’t a mustard seed the tiniest seed ever? It is! But after a quick Google search, I found that it grows to be between 6 to 20 feet tall, and under ideal conditions it can even grow up to 30 ft. WOW that’s big!

The disciples had little faith, but what they needed was little faith that was growing. I was so encouraged by this because while my faith isn’t the size of a 30 foot tall tree (yet), it isn’t the tiny sprout it once was. It’s growing and according to today’s verse, God can use a growing faith to do impossible things.

George Muller did impossible things, but not because he was some superhero of a man. He simply believed God was who He said He was and that He’d do what He said He’d do. The roots of Muller’s faith sunk deep into the soil of God’s love and from that soil grew a mighty tree.

I pray each day, my faith—and yours—would continuing growing, that its roots would continue to take hold and grow bigger every day, and that it would never stop!

Pause: Faith is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8). Take a moment today to ask the Lord what the condition of your faith is and if He reveals that it’s a “little faith,” ask Him to increase it. He will be faithful to do so.

Practice: Find someone in Scripture that was known for having great faith and read their story. Here are a few suggestions for you: David, Abraham, Mary, Ruth, and Hannah.

Pray: Dear Lord, thank You for the mustard seed faith You have given me. Thank You that it’s growing and that through You I can do impossible things . . . ALL for Your glory. May I leave behind a legacy of faith for generations to come, and may Your Name be lifted high forever! Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Romans 10

Commentary

Faith and the Word of God

By Isabelle Reardon

“Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”—Romans 10:17 (NIV)

The good news of salvation, the answer to all our questions, along with numerous life-giving, life-changing realities, are all laid out for us in the living Word of God. What an amazing reality it is to know that the God of the universe who spoke creation into existence, who commanded the sea to be parted and the sea obeyed, who holds all things together in His hands, and who worked salvation for all of us through His Son Jesus, is the same God whose words we hold in our very hands today.

And this is just the beginning of the great news about the truth of God’s Word. Not only do we have access to it and are able to find hope, answers, and peace through it, but there’s so much more. Today’s verse reminds us that we serve a loving God! He doesn’t tell us we must try harder, be better, or work our way into a relationship with Him. Instead, He simply tells us to hear His message and by hearing we gain faith—and through faith, we’re saved (Ephesians 2:8–9).

Friends, let’s remember the power of the message we get to hold in our very hands. Whether God’s Word is preached from a pulpit, spoken on a podcast, or read from the Bible, it has the power to save!

As I consider this truth, I begin to sheepishly think about how little I share His message with others when I know it has the power to bring them to faith! Above my fears, my desire is for the truth to ring so loudly in my head and in my heart that I can’t help but share it with others.

In Romans 10:14 (NIV) Paul writes “How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?” Let us not keep this message we’re privileged to know, that many of us have been transformed by, to ourselves. Instead, let’s be the means in which our friends, family, and strangers are able to hear this message—a message that has the power to stir up faith and to save!

Pause: Take a moment to reflect on your story, and what it was like when you first heard God’s message. Reflect back to the moments in time when His message first stirred up faith in you.

Practice: Who do you know in your circle of influence that needs to hear God’s message? Write down who the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. Pray for them and ask the Holy Spirit what He wants you to do next.

Pray: Lord Jesus, thank You for the gift of Your Word. Thank You that You’ve made it truly so simple for me to know You and come to faith in You. I want to be a bearer of Your message. Use me to share in ways I would’ve never thought imaginable. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

1 Peter 1:6-9

Commentary

Refined Faith

By Kori Ellis

“In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”—1 Peter 1:6-9 (NIV)

The morning dawned bright and clear, but there was a heavy cloud hanging over our family. The day had come for my husband and me and our two teenaged daughters to return our three-year-old foster son, Noah, to his biological family. Noah had been in our home for almost two years, and we had hoped to adopt him. However, the law required us to return him back to his parents, who were mentally unstable and likely unable to provide for his needs.

As we grieved this great loss as a family, I remember crying out to God for some sort of hope for Noah’s life. The Lord graciously led me to Isaiah 54:13 (NIV), which says, “All your children will be taught by the Lord, and great will be their peace.” A God-breathed promise just for me in that moment. Noah was (and is) the son of my heart, and God is going to make a way to teach Noah about Himself so he can have peace in his life!

Trials of any kind are never fun, but when we look at Scripture, we see they have a divine purpose. Our temporary suffering and grief leads us to a proven genuineness of faith, a refined faith, and a deeper faith.

In today’s passage, Peter tells us that this type of faith is lasting. It’s more valuable than gold! And this type of faith brings praise, glory, and honor to Jesus! When we choose to trust God in the midst of intense trials, He is faithful to refine us and make us more like Him.

So here I am, eight years later, still clinging by faith to the promise God has given me for Noah’s life. For me, this has been an authentic opportunity to have confidence in what I hope for and assurance of what I do not see (Hebrews 11:1).

I may never know, in this life, how God is fulfilling His promise in Noah’s life, but I KNOW that He is! I can’t see it, but I believe it. And the peace I have received through my refined faith has been truly beyond my understanding, guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).

Pause: Take a moment to think about how the trial you’re going through could be of greater worth than gold.

Practice: Thank God daily for the opportunity to trust Him, by faith, even when you don’t understand your current suffering.

Pray: Thank you, Jesus, that You have a plan for my suffering. Please help me to trust You through every trial so my faith will be refined and I will bring praise, glory, and honor to Your Name. Ame
  • 316Judith
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Theme:
    Walk by Faith, By Margarita Perez

Bible Reading:
    2 Corinthians chapter 5

Key Verse Focus
    Verse 7

“For we live by faith, not by sight.”—2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)

Have you ever made a decision based on your emotions, relying on your senses or even on your own understanding? I have, and I've also suffered the consequences attached to those decisions.

As I started following Jesus and reading His Word, He started showing me promises that I couldn’t understand or even believe. These promises seemed surreal to a woman who was hurt, abused, and abandoned . . . But God (my two favorites words). By placing me in situations where I had to depend on Him alone, He helped me to believe His promises, to trust His character, and to choose to walk by faith in His Word.

Maybe you have the same question I once did:

“How can I walk by faith with Jesus when my circumstances and afflictions are real, painful, and need a “real” solution?”

In Luke 5, we see the struggle of an experienced fisherman called Simon Peter, who, after working all night, saw his fishing nets were still empty.

From the shore, Jesus instructed Peter on what to do. This man, although filled with doubt, trusted the voice of Jesus and obeyed those instructions, even though they didn’t make sense—especially given that these words came from Jesus, who was a carpenter by trade. Peter by faith laid down his net and a boat-sinking load of fish was caught. This is what having faith looks like: trusting His Word even when our circumstances seem impossible.

When we rely on our senses, our emotions, or worldly philosophies, we can easily be deceived. If we live our lives based on sight, we’ll struggle during times of suffering and testing.

Faith is believing everything God says in His Word so we can build our lives on the solid foundation—the rock Himself, Jesus Christ.

Our feelings and emotions are gifts from God. They are real, but they are not to control us. They are not meant to captivate our hearts or lead our steps.

Yet, if we humbly present them to the Lord and ask for His Spirit to show us what is truth, we’ll learn how to not react to our circumstances, but to instead act like Christ. This act of surrender puts a smile on the face of our Lord.

Walking by faith means to rely completely on what God says in His Word. A life of faith filters our thoughts, actions, and attitudes allowing us to listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He directs us along the path ahead . . . one step at a time.

Only Jesus knows how to overcome the trials that have been filtered through His loving hands. He knows the good plans He has for us (Jeremiah 29:11) because He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).

Pause: Spend some time considering how you tend to react to the things that come your way. What is your usual response? What are you relying on?

Practice: Walking by faith is easier when you do it in community! Share your feelings and emotions with a trusted Christian friend, mentor, or pastor. Express what you’re experiencing and what emotions are being brought to the surface. Ask
    them to pray with you and seek godly wisdom.

Pray: Dear Lord, help me to walk by faith, to live by faith, to pray by faith, and to trust all that is written in Your Word. I pray I will surrender my own abilities and rest entirely on You and Your sufficient grace in all I say and do. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

James chapter 1

Commentary

Faith and Diamonds

“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.”—James 1:1-3 (NIV)

Have you ever seen a diamond being formed? Unless you’ve watched YouTube videos like me, you probably haven’t because diamonds form deep within the earth over hundreds and thousands of years. Their formation process involves two major components: extremely high temperatures and intense levels of pressure. Why is this relevant to faith? Well, because our faith undergoes the same kind of intense process in order to be refined and strengthened!

With this illustration in mind, we can better understand today’s Scripture. James, Jesus’ half-brother, was writing specifically to the early church as they were being persecuted by Herod. This is why he described them as “scattered among the nations” and immediately encouraged them regarding their current trials. However, this encouragement is very contrary to what our natural response in times of trial might be. How can one “consider it pure joy” when trials often involve pain, suffering, and loss?

Recently, this became much more real to me. Being a part of the class of 2020, the arrival of COVID-19 and quarantine devastated my dreams for what my final moments as a high schooler would look like. It felt like I was riding a violent, emotional rollercoaster as all the sadness and nostalgia that would have eventually come with graduation rapidly and unexpectedly came early in addition to the anxiety, shock, and disappointment that COVID-19 brought on its own. I know what the Bible says about trials, yet they’re so hard to live out in the moment. As I processed my rollercoaster of emotions, I realized God doesn’t condemn our feelings in the midst of trials; rather, He commands us to pour out our hearts before Him because only then will we be able to fully trust Him (Psalms 62:8)!

When James wrote this encouragement, he used the Greek word for “consider” which can be translated to “evaluate” or “meditate on.” This translation indicates that we must make the conscious decision to find joy and hope in the midst of our trials. God doesn’t expect us to naturally be happy when we face difficulty, but in the same way that we must choose to actively trust in Him during difficult times, we must also consciously choose to find joy in His promises!

Therefore, James continued his statement by giving a promise: that the testing of their faith would produce perseverance. And get this! The diamond analogy works perfectly because the Greek word for diamond translates to “unconquerable” or “invincible!”

Upon realizing this, I found that the difficulty of being a senior during COVID-19 actually became a blessing! I personally experienced James 1:1-3, and as a result, I learned God loves us enough to allow us to endure tests because He knows that the refining of our faith and our sanctification as His children is more important than merely breezing through life. May we “consider it pure joy” as we remember the end product of our refined faith in the midst of trials!

Pause: Reflect on how your faith has been refined through seasons of difficulty in the past?

Practice: Actively choose to find joy in the midst of whatever trial you’re facing today! Remember God’s character, promises, and the outcome of your refined faith.

Pray: Father, thank You for loving me enough to draw me closer to Yourself, even when it means enduring trials to do so. Thank You that despite the suffering and trials I’ll face in my life, You have already secured the ultimate victory! Help me to remember who You are and what You promise so I may consider it pure joy when my faith is tested! Amen.