Getting old sucks

Options
People say “You’re not fat! Have some cake!”
I’m 30 lbs over my goal, 15 lbs over the weight watchers max for my height. Not bad, but every lb exponentially increases my knee osteoarthritis pain. If I don’t get a handle on this night time binging and get off my lazy *kitten* and work out, I’ll be a cripple in 6 months. I’ll be getting new knees next summer. I’m going to lose weight and buff up so the surgery will be a breeze.💪

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Just don't push too hard too fast - I've found I have a couple "memories" (aka old injuries) that might be capable of something here and there, but will very quickly give up the ghost and set me back rather severely. Take your time building up the weights/length/reps/time/etc...probably slower than you feel like you want.

As for losing the weight, yes, that is more in the kitchen than out of it, but I do find it a LOT easier to control my eating if I'm also working out - but if the workouts get sidelined for whatever reason, my self control on shoveling food into my pie hole seems to go right out the window.
  • bennim1
    bennim1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing low back problems for the first time in my life- it hit just a couple of months after retirement, go figure! Gained 10 lbs in two months and ready to get it back off plus an additional 10. After a family wedding and lots of family staying with me, the nightly wine needs to decrease or disappear and walking daily to begin moving again. Here we go! I am only 57 and have fun times ahead!
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Getting old does suck. I get out of bed in the morning and have a foot/ankle that is all stiff and sometimes painful (related to a change in my foot/stride pattern due to an old, long gone corn)
    My back aches when I have been in one position too long where I used to be able to sit wonky for hours.
    Also, I can no longer sit cross legged like I prefer to without knee pain.
    Commiserations on the knees, I hope you can get your new knees sooner rather than later.
  • angnewcomb
    angnewcomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As we get older our bodies change. Especially our metabolism! Focus on your goals and how you will get there. I find I snack more when I watch tv, so I have been reading more instead...also, instead of grabbing a snack, I make a cup of hot tea instead.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    angnewcomb wrote: »
    As we get older our bodies change. Especially our metabolism!

Your metabolism doesn't actually slow down until you're ~60. Yes, bodies change ("Ow my knee! Ow my back!" - me, everyday), but it's been proven that human metabolism is remarkably stable between the ages of 20-60.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

• JBanx256
    Options

But it's not metabolism :wink:

Absolutely; NEAT and lifestyle changes add up. So many people want to blame their metabolisms though because it's certainly more convenient to have this uncontrollable, intangible thing causing your problems than admit that you're responsible for what's happening to your body, yano? (and I hope it's obvious when I say "you" I don't mean YOU directly, but you know *gestures vaguely*..."you" in a general sense). Of course not saying people are necessarily intentional with that excuse/reasoning, but it's one of those things that is just generally accepted as true and it's easier to stomach than accepting that you used to walk around campus between classes and now you're getting a pastry and 800-calorie "coffee" in the drive-thru before going to sit on your butt at work all day or whatever. And then kids and blah blah blah....yeah.

Several REALLY excellent research reviews have been done on that study I posted (eg, Eric Helms, James Kreiger, etc) and the deeper dig is very enlightening/fascinating IMO

As an aside, I saw your other post (something about 2021 is almost over, how did you do on your goals?) and man I gotta say you dealt with a LOT of crap.

• JBanx256
    Options
    k8richer wrote: »

Sorry, that's TMI about me. but it's been an eye opening experience for someone who *claimed to know health / fitness and to be on control of it all. I have way more respect now for anyone trying to reverse a negative cycle.

Definitely not TMI as far as I'm concerned, good POV to hear (er....read). Even if you KNOW health/fitness, sometimes it's infinitely more difficult to turn the lens *inward* and see what you're doing (or not), versus observing other people.
  • stacyrey12
    stacyrey12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had a knee replacement about 5 years ago-it was such a good decision! Good luck with everything!
  • pnrbor
    pnrbor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knees. Hope the surgery goes well.
    For me it was after an accident that I gained a lot of weight (well I lost the covid weight when I was in a coma). I eventually dealt with it by going on a strict, expensive medical diet which ended with me back in hospital after a seizure.
    Now I find MyFitnessPal helps and not trying to deal with my issues by eating pointless stuff although it is hard as we also want to go out and enjoy ourselves sometimes.
    Good luck for the surgery.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    People say “You’re not fat! Have some cake!”

It's the delusion of people. My BMI is currently 26.2 and I have gained about 4lbs over Christmas/New Year alone, and am 14-20lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago. Yesterday one colleague went "look at you, you have lost so much weight!". I know it was well intentioned, but it didn't at all reflect reality, especially given that she last saw me on Christmas eve. My luck is being tall, so I hide weight gain much more than shorter people.

Ultimately you know where you are. Your doctor does too. If excess weight causes pain: It's a problem. If excess weight caused high blood pressure or high cholesterol: It's a problem.

I find it helps to point out that the invisible things (in my case cholesterol) are not happy with my weight and regardless of whether I'm seen to be overweight or not, I need to get that cholesterol down by reducing my body fat. No amount of saying "you're not fat" has an impact on the health of that person.

And I agree with the comments above re NEAT and metabolism. My neat was up with WFH: Standing desk, lunchtime walks. It made quite the difference.
  • bonnielassies
    bonnielassies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Metabolism might not change until you're 60, but for menopausal women fat accumulates where it didn't before! Though lockdown and learning how to bake is definitely why the fat's there in the first place for me!
  • stacyrey12
    Options
    I am here to commiserate! I have had a knee replacement and a spinal fusion and when I tell people I need to watch my weight they think I am calling myself fat, which I am not. Any extra weight doesn't feel good because I have metal in my body! I've always been really active and pain and perimenopause have slowed me down quite a bit these last few years. Aging is NOT for the weak!!! I feel you!
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    @stacyrey12 - what a surgery! Good for you for adapting while still staying healthy and fit.

I hear you on the perimenopause! Just shoot me now, it's so bad. The hot flashes are ruining my sleep which makes me grumpy and tired which makes me less likely to workout and eat well. Obviously a bad cycle. I don't think the perimenopause itself is directly slowing me or my metabolism down (harkening back to the earlier exchange in this discussion) - its the symptoms like bad sleep that wreak havoc on our NEAT, motivation and will power.

I did discover an FB group called Menopause Chicks - check it out. Armed with info from there, Ive got an appointment with my doctor to get on top of it. I do wonder if addressing my hormone balance will help with my various aches, pains and injuries. Those are what make me feel old and hold me back from bring in top shape. I will report back!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I take DIM to offset the perimenopause symptoms, it seems to help a great deal...though they still sometimes flare up around PMS week, which is super sucky...at least once menopause is official I'll only have to fight one hormone roller coaster.
  • stacyrey12
    Options
    - its the symptoms like bad sleep that wreak havoc on our NEAT, motivation and will power.

I did discover an FB group called Menopause Chicks - check it out. Armed with info from there, Ive got an appointment with my doctor to get on top of it. I do wonder if addressing my hormone balance will help with my various aches, pains and injuries. Those are what make me feel old and hold me back from bring in top shape. I will report back! [/quote]

About to log on and check them out. Seriously, THE NIGHT SWEATS.

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    stacyrey12 wrote: »

So I am no doctor, and I'm probably going to jinx it, but a week ago I started taking Magnesium bisglycinate and it has cut my hot flashes and night sweats in half, and last night I had almost none. I slept through the night!! I kid you not!! 🤯 It comes in a powder form and you make a hot lemon drink out of it just before bedtime. Menopause Chicks recommended it and my chiropractor recommended it for bone health and muscle function, which sounds good too!
  • stacyrey12
    Options
    k8richer wrote: »
    stacyrey12 wrote: »

So I am no doctor, and I'm probably going to jinx it, but a week ago I started taking Magnesium bisglycinate and it has cut my hot flashes and night sweats in half, and last night I had almost none. I slept through the night!! I kid you not!! 🤯 It comes in a powder form and you make a hot lemon drink out of it just before bedtime. Menopause Chicks recommended it and my chiropractor recommended it for bone health and muscle function, which sounds good too!

Looking into it...