Team's Healthy Recipes 2024

Options
1235»

Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,533 Member
    Options
    Greek Salmon

Greek salmon is delicious, flaky, and tender. This healthy oven-baked salmon is packed with Mediterranean flavors and is ready in just 20 minutes. 

Ingredients:

1 lb. salmon, cut into fillets
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
    1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 clove garlic, grated or minced
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pat dry salmon fillets and place skin-side down on a lined quarter sheet baking pan.

In a small mixing bowl, stir to combine olive oil, lemon juice, dill, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Brush or pour the marinade over the salmon and let it sit while the oven is preheating.

Bake for 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve with an extra squeeze of lemon juice on top, if desired.

Bon Appetite!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Elotes (Mexican Street Corn)
    On the Grill

Ingredients

* Canola oil, for grill grates
    * 1/4 c. mayonnaise
    * 1/4 c. sour cream
    * 1 small clove garlic, pressed
    * 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
    * 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    * Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * 8 ears fresh corn, husks removed
    * 1/3 c. finely crumbled Cotija cheese
    * Chili-lime seasoning (such as Tajin) and chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

Directions

* Step 1

Heat grill to medium. Once hot, clean and oil grill grates. Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, lime juice, and chili powder in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

* Step 2

Grill corn, turning frequently, until lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Brush with mayonnaise. mixture and sprinkle with cheese, dividing evenly. Garnish with chili-lime seasoning and cilantro.

Bon Appetite! 😋
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Baked Feta Pasta

Ingredients

* 2 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes
    * 1 shallot, quartered
    * 3 cloves garlic, smashed 
    * 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    * Kosher salt
    * Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    * 1 (8-oz.) block feta
    * 3 sprigs fresh thyme 
    * 10 oz. pasta
    * Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
    * Fresh basil, for garnish

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 400°. In a large ovenproof skillet or medium baking dish, combine tomatoes, shallot, garlic, and all but 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and red pepper flakes and toss to combine. 

Step 2

Place feta into center of tomato mixture and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Scatter thyme sprigs over tomatoes. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until tomatoes are bursting and feta is golden on top. 

Step 3

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water before draining.

Step 4

To skillet with tomatoes and feta, add cooked pasta, reserved pasta water, and lemon zest (if using) and stir until combined. Garnish with basil. 

Bon Appetite!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Easy Homemade Corn Chowder
    Creamy Corn Chowder is a meal in itself, the perfect side or the perfect start to dinner.

Servings 6

Ingredients

6 slices bacon
    ½ medium onion diced
    ½ cup celery sliced
    1 ½ cups potato peeled and diced
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon thyme
    black pepper to taste
    2 cups chicken broth
    3 cups corn fresh or frozen
    1 cup milk
    ½ cup heavy cream

To Make Corn Chowder

1. .Fry the bacon until crisp, drain and crumble. Sauté the onion and celery until softened.
    2. Add potatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
    3. Add the corn, simmering a few minutes more before adding milk and cream. Simmer until slightly thickened.
    4. Remove from heat and stir in the bacon. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve hot with warm homemade or bought biscuits

To Thicken

This should come out plenty thick enough but if you’d like it thicker you can add a cornstarch slurry (equal parts cornstarch and water) a little bit at a time while the soup is simmering.

Bon Appetite 😋
  • 316Judith
    Options
    JAGACIDA (CAPE VERDEAN BEANS & RICE)

Jagacida is a beans and rice dish found in Cape Verdean cuisine. Also referred to as jag, the dish is heavily seasoned with onion, paprika, and bay leaves. With the kidney beans and paprika, the dish becomes a beautiful red and gold mixture that smells incredible. Jagacida can be eaten as a side dish or with vegetables to create a vegetarian meal.

Serves 8
    1 hour cook time: total

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    5 cups water
    1 tablespoon paprika
    2 bay leaves, dried or fresh
    2 ½ cups long grain brown rice
    1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
    Salt
    Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic; cook for 10 minutes, stirring ocassionally, or until browned. 
    2. To the pot, add the water, paprika, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. 
    3. Add the rice to the pot of boiling water; lower the heat so that the rice simmers. Add the beans and cover the pan. Let the rice simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the water is fully absorbed and the rice is tender. 
    4. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving. 

Bon Appetite!

Calories per serving 320
    Fat 6 grams
    Saturated Fats 1 gram
    Sodium 260 mg
    Carbs 58 grams
    Sugars 1 gram
    Fibre 4 grams
    Protein 9 grams
  • Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 9,824 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Zuccnini Casserole
    Prep time - 15 minutes
    Cook time - 1 hour
    Servings - 4

INGREDIENTS
    4 slices bread, cubed
    1/4 cup melted butter
    2 cups zucchini, cubed
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees (175 degrees C)
    2. Place bread cubes in a medium bowl and pour melted butter over the top. Add zucchini, onion, egg and garlic salt. Mix well. Transfer the mixture into 9x13 baking dish and top with cheese
    3. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake for another 30 minutes.

These are the changes I made in the recipe. I placed the bread cubes in a bowl and poured the butter on the top. I put this on a cookie sheet in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 12 minutes, turning every 5 minutes until browned. While that is baking, brown 1# ground meat to make this a complete meal. Add the toasted bread cubes and meat to the other ingredients including the cheese and mix well. Put in a 8x8 baking dish becauses the 9x13 pan is too big and the casserole is very thin. The same baking instructions remain the unchanged. I may try it with gluten free bread next time.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Evening Hello Team

It took me a while but I am so happy I found our Healthy Recipe Thread. Let’s start building it up and post new recipes!

I can hardly wait for Linda to post her Curry recipe.

Best of all, when I can eat those kinds of foods it will be nice to try that recipe and others.

Blessings on your evening and day tomorrow!
  • myhands4God
    myhands4God Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am excited about this thread. Do you have any specific rules in regards to health recipes? I have a couple I have just tried that I would like to share but I don't want to break any food rules here.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Good Morning myhands4God

About posting recipes, no particular rules: just post the recipe including Ingredients used; Directions and if possible include the total calories the recipe is: for example:
    Serves 4
    200 Calories per serving

I will post a recipe in the next thread to hopefully help you see how we have posted recipes in past.

Happy to have you onboard. 😊
  • 316Judith
    edited April 11
    Options
    The BEST Healthy Turkey Chili

The BEST Healthy Turkey Chili recipe full of fresh veggies, lean ground turkey and loaded with flavor!  The perfect cozy chili you can easily make in our instant pot, crock pot or right on the stove!

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Total Time 40 minutes

Servings: 8

Ingredients
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 2 lbs lean ground turkey
    * 1 yellow onion chopped
    * 1 red bell pepper chopped
    * 1 green bell pepper chopped
    * 2 jalapeños chopped
    * 5 cloves garlic minced
    * 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
    * 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
    * 1 cup low sodium beef broth
    * 3 tablespoons tomato paste
    * 1 teaspoon hot sauce I used Texas Pete
    * 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    * 3 tablespoons chili powder
    * 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    * 1 teaspoon cumin
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    * Pinch of cayenne pepper
    * 1 packet Stevia

Instructions
    * In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey, crumbling with a spoon, until browned.  Drain off any excess liquid and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
    * Drizzle a little olive oil in the hot pan and add in the onion, bell peppers and jalapeños, cooking about 3 to 4 minutes, until onion is translucent and peppers have softened.  Stir in the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
    * Add back in the cooked ground turkey, along with the rest of the ingredients, and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover, allowing the chili to simmer for about 30 minutes or up to an hour, stirring occasionally so the chili doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
    * Ladle the chili into bowls, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
    * Bon Appetite

Nutrition
    Serving: 1/8th of recipe
    Calories: 266 Calories
    Carbohydrates: 25.4g
    Protein: 34.9g
    Fat: 3.5g
    Saturated Fat: 0.4grams
    Sodium: 501mg
    Fiber: 7.4grams
    Sugar: 9grams
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Good Morning Team:

Our Recipe Thread has Moved to our Discussion Thread!

Please Post your Recipes in the Discussion Thread: Thank you