Happy Walktober (and MORE)!!

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Also, let’s not worry about a group total mileage. If you want to challenge yourself with a particular mileage goal as @77tes is doing, that’s great. But I hear @nebslp concerns that mileage goals can also be counterproductive and not helpful. If you already have a walking stride that works for you, great! But if you feel you need to walk more and want support in making that happen, you’ve come to the right place!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,030 Member
    Options
    Also, let’s not worry about a group total mileage. If you want to challenge yourself with a particular mileage goal as @77tes is doing, that’s great. But I hear @nebslp concerns that mileage goals can also be counterproductive and not helpful. If you already have a walking stride that works for you, great! But if you feel you need to walk more and want support in making that happen, you’ve come to the right place!

I’m sticking with my regular walking goals since they work! But happy to contribute my
    Mileage to the group vacation travel!
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,109 Member
    Options
    I am excited about a Walktober as I just increased my daily walking steps target to 9,000. I am going to join in on sharing my walking “mileage” (I will convert from the kilometres we use here in Canada) each Saturday for the previous week. I will add October 1 into next week’s report as suggested. I will use my FitBit totals for reporting.

Thanks Terri (and Maddie) for sharing about phone/electronics shut downs and nighttime routines. This is a commitment that I started in September and was having some success, but then got off track. I know it is a health issue for me and I am going to join you in that habit for October Terri.

Phone shutdown starts tonight. Will use a paper tracker in my journal to record my success. I have set reminders on my phone to prompt me to shut it down:

1. Phone turned off by 10:00 pm
    2. In bed to read by 11:00
    3. Asleep by 12 midnight

@TerriRichardson112
    @MadisonMolly2017
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    I am excited about a Walktober as I just increased my daily walking steps target to 9,000. I am going to join in on sharing my walking “mileage” (I will convert from the kilometres we use here in Canada) each Saturday for the previous week. I will add October 1 into next week’s report as suggested. I will use my FitBit totals for reporting.

Thanks Terri (and Maddie) for sharing about phone/electronics shut downs and nighttime routines. This is a commitment that I started in September and was having some success, but then got off track. I know it is a health issue for me and I am going to join you in that habit for October Terri.

Phone shutdown starts tonight. Will use a paper tracker in my journal to record my success. I have set reminders on my phone to prompt me to shut it down:

1. Phone turned off by 10:00 pm
    2. In bed to read by 11:00
    3. Asleep by 12 midnight

@TerriRichardson112
    @MadisonMolly2017

@jamcnewman
    GREAT!
    I’ve been using exactly that schedule since third week in July!

I also made my bedroom & bed more cozy.
    From 10-11, I’ll make art, doodle, stitch, do final clean-up in kitchen, fold/put away laundry, light Decluttering of print photographs, shower, or just plain relax!

Come cold weather, I’m Thinking some warm baths!
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am in. I use to walk quite a bit and had a treadmill. Husband disabled has slowed me down...but I will see what I can accomplish!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I am in. I use to walk quite a bit and had a treadmill. Husband disabled has slowed me down...but I will see what I can accomplish!

Awesome @Rosemarie2972 !!
    Even 22 minutes a day will get you rto what US Gov’t recommends!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @Rosemarie2972, I’m glad you’re joining us for Walktober. Do you still have your treadmill? I use mine daily. In fact, I’m walking on it right now and using the talk to text feature. If you still have your treadmill, you might be interested in the post I made earlier about a virtual walk I took this week through northern Italy with screenshots. The app is called BitGym and I love it. Beautifully immersive tours of iconic global locations. I’ve “walked“ through Paris, Barcelona, Sydney and so many other places, All from the comfort of my home. I have cerebral palsy and balance issues so I love the fact that I can always stay upright! They have a free membership of 8 tours for those who want to check it out and see if it’s a good fit for them.

However you choose to walk, we are glad you are here!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Good morning Everyone! Let’s make it a great week! There are just so many benefits to walking!

fym3y32vtjil.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Hello! I'm in on the walking challenge. I'd like to push myself to try to walk 200 miles in October. I think I'm behind already. Lol. I better head out for a walk! ;) I purchased a treadmill last year in Nov as a gift to myself. I live in the country and the roads have no sidewalks so I have to be extra cautious when walking. I don't like walking on the treadmill, but it works when the weather is nasty, OR when I'm working too late and can't get out before dark. (It gets dark so early in the winter!)

Oct 1 - 1 mile
    Oct 2 - 10.5 miles
    Oct 3 - 5.75 miles

Hi @Mrs_Hoffer !!!
    I know you will do it! ❤️💕❤️🌸💜💪🏻
    Your mileage will really help the group!

Thanks!
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hi new member here, but I walk on a treadmill. Nice to meet you all! Husband and I live on Whidbey island in Puget Sound in Washington state. My husband is a 7 year liver transplant survivor, so its nice to see him healthy. I listen to audio stories, or music.💖👍⚓🎵🎶
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

@Whidislander
    Oh wow -a good friend lives there!! So lovely!
    Treadmills are great! That’s what @themedalist uses!!!

I have a good friend who is 10months along her liver transplant. Her feet & ankles & tummy are still lswollen even tho she limits salt, drinks water, and walks daily. Other than that, she’s doing great!!

I am 4 years post kidney transplant, doing great. We are all very lucky!

Warm welcomes to the group!
    🌸Maddie
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Hi new member here, but I walk on a treadmill. Nice to meet you all! Husband and I live on Whidbey island in Puget Sound in Washington state. My husband is a 7 year liver transplant survivor, so its nice to see him healthy. I listen to audio stories, or music.💖👍⚓🎵🎶
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

@Whidislander
    Oh wow -a good friend lives there!! So lovely!
    Treadmills are great! That’s what @themedalist uses!!!

I have a good friend who is 10months along her liver transplant. Her feet & ankles & tummy are still lswollen even tho she limits salt, drinks water, and walks daily. Other than that, she’s doing great!!

I am 4 years post kidney transplant, doing great. We are all very lucky!

Warm welcomes to the group!
    🌸Maddie

Thanks for the welcome Maddie, my husband had a years worth of stents in his bile duct 2017 and so in 2018 Feb, the doctors rerouted his liver directly to his intestines. Problem solved. He had a swollen belly for a long while, every so often they would have to go in an relieve the issue, poor guy. But he's my hero, and I marvel at his stamina! Sending healing thoughts to your friend, and congrats to you in your post op kidney transplant!👍🙏
    Its blustery on the island today, so I didn't go to the gym with husband. I know, no excuse. I will walk around the neighborhood for 45 min later today.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 Great plan - shutting off your devices "early" - I get up at 4:30am 3 days/week to drive in to Columbus to go to work (45 min drive), so on those days I **TRY** to go to bed by 9pm at the latest. (Last night, I think I was in bed by 8pm!) Lol. The other 2 days/wk I work from home, so I can literally roll out of bed at 5:45 in order to log onto the computer by 6am. Lol. (That's a LITTLE better!)

But my "retirement" from this bank job is 340 days away, and I can't wait!!!! :love: We're pretty slow at work right now, so it's like having to go into work 3 days and then having 4 days "off". (I only have to log on and show an online presence for 8 hours!) ;) So I have it pretty good, and don't complain. :)
    Oct 1 - 7749 steps and 1 mile walk.
    Oct 2 - 29,407 steps and 10.5 miles walking my #icecreamwalk
    Oct 3 - 13,921 steps and 5.75 mile walk.
    Oct 4 - 12,947 steps and 5 mile walk.

Oct 5 - 29,779 steps and 11.75 mi. walking. (I needed to do some catching up!) ;)

Total Steps/Goal: 93,803/500,000
    Total Miles/Goal: 34/200 miles
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,221 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer
    The switch off is a biggie for me because I am essentially a night owl. When I’ve tried it before I just ended up waking up earlier, so wasn’t really getting extra sleep. This time I seem to be sleeping a little longer and not waking up this much during the night, so it’s a win for that alone.

I can thoroughly recommend retirement. It gives you time to do all those things that you actually want to do as opposed to what you have to do. Hence I am able to do exercise whenever I like and please myself most of the rest of the time.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    WELCOME @Whidislander !! I have a treadmill in the basement, and hate walking on it because the scenery never changes! (White concrete block walls don't help either!) Lol. Last year I did hook up my tablet and watch Amazon Prime movies on it while I walked..... that helped.

I think this winter I'll redecorate that area of the basement and put some (fake) plants down there and my little ceramic pot fountain (I love that it makes the sound of a babbling brook!) and see if I can't make it a little more pleasing to the senses to walk on the treadmill! Lol.

(Mileage in spoiler).
    Oct 1 - 1 mile
    Oct 2 - 10.5 miles (11.5)
    Oct 3 - 5.75 miles (17.25)
    Oct 4 - 5 miles (22.25)

Nice to meet you! Husband and I go to the Navy on base gym, (when I do go), because we're retired military. Gotta use those perks. But most of the time its empty, the squadrons going in afternoons or evenings most likely. Great job on your totals thus far in Oct! A pot fountain would make me wanna use the bathroom, but the important thing is you do you!👍
    Rebecca
    Washington

Nice to meet you, Rebecca @Whidislander! We are very happy you have joined our group! I’ve been in a military family my whole life and I grew up as the daughter of a Navy submariner. I married an army guy, but my dad still likes him. 😀 —Denise
  • themedalist
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer
    The switch off is a biggie for me because I am essentially a night owl. When I’ve tried it before I just ended up waking up earlier, so wasn’t really getting extra sleep. This time I seem to be sleeping a little longer and not waking up this much during the night, so it’s a win for that alone.

I can thoroughly recommend retirement. It gives you time to do all those things that you actually want to do as opposed to what you have to do. Hence I am able to do exercise whenever I like and please myself most of the rest of the time.

Oh my goodness, @TerriRichardson112, your post is so timely! I’ve been thinking more and more about retirement and all the things I’d like to do. It won’t happen for several years, but I’m starting to put it on the horizon.