Old timer...

Options
I'm 55+. I've had the stomach bypass. Over 10 years ago. Been doing ok. But I'm currently trying to lose weight and eat healthier. My goal is 40 LBS. I'm really worried that my pouch may have stretched. So any help and suggestions for elderly weight lose with this problem will be helpful also any one that can be an accountability would be great.

Chris

Replies

• Brandywismer
    Brandywismer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your goals to lose weight and eat healthier. I’m 67 and it certainly is different then when I was 20. I’m whole foods, plant based, limit my oils, processed food and sugar. My tips would be to have achievable long term goals broken down into baby step goals and a concrete plan on how to achieve them. First, I am big on tracking your progress. MyFitnessPal sure helps me with the food tracking and I use STRAVA a fitness community app to track my fitness. I have weekly, monthly and annual goals that keep me moving. Food is our fuel and the better the fuel, the better we feel. Listen to health promotion podcasts and watch documentaries that teach about healthy eating. (Try ForksoverKnives.com for some great resources. Also, Nutritionfacts.org with Dr. Michael Greger for wonderful information. Everyday when I’m walking I listen to health oriented podcasts to keep me motivated. Good luck Chris! You can do it.
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m 54 and trying to loose 40lbs for health and my daughter’s wedding. Always been a yo-yo dieter. Was athletic in HS and College. Working with a trainer at the gym two days a week. Three weeks in, I have not lost any weight, but starting to feel stronger, so still motivated and optimistic. Trainer says I need to eat more healthy calories to allow my body to start burning fat. Makes sense. If we eat more fruits and vegetables we will have more energy to work harder. Also, I am starting to focus on getting protein at each meal with goal of 24% of daily calories from protein. I am feeling full and avoiding bad cravings.
  • sure2014
    sure2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and trying to lose weight for last 8 years. Had some success but now stuck 171 range. I want to get to 150. I am doing 8K steps every day and atleast 3 times a week 20 minute strength training. Not getting any success. I am vegetarian. I do intermittent fasting-16/8. Any guidance, support would be appreciated.
  • nbinpt
    nbinpt Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your goals to lose weight and eat healthier. I’m 67 and it certainly is different then when I was 20. I’m whole foods, plant based, limit my oils, processed food and sugar. My tips would be to have achievable long term goals broken down into baby step goals and a concrete plan on how to achieve them. First, I am big on tracking your progress. MyFitnessPal sure helps me with the food tracking and I use STRAVA a fitness community app to track my fitness. I have weekly, monthly and annual goals that keep me moving. Food is our fuel and the better the fuel, the better we feel. Listen to health promotion podcasts and watch documentaries that teach about healthy eating. (Try ForksoverKnives.com for some great resources. Also, Nutritionfacts.org with Dr. Michael Greger for wonderful information. Everyday when I’m walking I listen to health oriented podcasts to keep me motivated. Good luck Chris! You can do it.

Do you have any podcast titles you would like to share? I have been looking for some lately.

• Palovitt
    Palovitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 55 and want to lose 40-50 pounds the right way. It is so much harder now. I try to eat clean, and plant based. I like weight lifting and my Peloton app. I have no clue how to add friends on here, but would love accountability partners!
  • benjmiller6409
    benjmiller6409 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try gluten free meals and light exercise in here, eat clean you will be alright