Sorry for the TMI but...

Options
Have you ever peed and it smells really sweet? Jardiance is supposed to help your kidneys flush out excess glucose in you blood. So, since I've been taking it, every now and again when I've eaten a little more carbs than I should, the next day, when I pee, it really smells sweet.
I guess that means the Jardiance is doing it's thing?
And, my blood sugars are great. So normal, or abnormal

Replies

• Tariwheeler987
    Tariwheeler987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't take Jardiance, but I do take Farxiga...and I have noticed a sweet smell. It didn't occur to me that it was because of the meds.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't take Jardiance, but I do take Farxiga...and I have noticed a sweet smell. It didn't occur to me that it was because of the meds.

Well, after I read how Jardiance works, I did a bit of research. Did you know, that in the middle ages, and maybe earlier, that doctors diagnosed diabetes by tasting the urine. A sugary urine indicated diabetes. I don't know what they would have done about it. So since Jardiance, and I guess Farxiga work to get rid of excess glucose in the blood through the kidneys, it makes sense.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options

Well, after I read how Jardiance works, I did a bit of research. Did you know, that in the middle ages, and maybe earlier, that doctors diagnosed diabetes by tasting the urine. A sugary urine indicated diabetes. I don't know what they would have done about it. So since Jardiance, and I guess Farxiga work to get rid of excess glucose in the blood through the kidneys, it makes sense.

Mostly, we died. Insulin was a true miracle drug when it was discovered.

This podcast episode has lots of good information about the history of diabetes, and the discovery of insulin.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/this-podcast-will-kill-you/id1299915173?i=1000537588823
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    If text is more your thing, here is a short history of insulin.

https://www.diabetes.org/blog/history-wonderful-thing-we-call-insulin
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Your urine is simply body wate in fluid form.. whatever you eat will affect the urine color, and smell.

When i started Atkins, I ate 6 eggs for breakfast, 6 chicken thighs for lunch, and 6 more for dinner, with a can of green beans at one of the later meals.. eggs, and green beans have mild smells, but chicken, expecially when you eat it by the lb. changes the odor.. when I peed, it smelled like chicken soup.

Everything you eat is turned into glucose, so any time you peed a lot, it would smell sweet, if glucose being passed was the cause of the smell. I'm wondering if when you consume a LOT of sugar, if some is passed BEFORE it can be turned into glucose. An overload of the system. It can only handle so much breaking down of food, and if you are peeing a lot.. many of us are on diuretics, not sure it gets everything.

That is what they tasted in the 1800's when testing for diabetes. Whether an excess of glucose, or passed actual sugar.. it's normal. Better to pass it in the urine in any form, and to NOT have it converted to glycogen, and the excess converted to body fat, not to mention elevated blood sugar levels.