Living The Lifestyle - Monday 10/25/21

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,826 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Flintwinch (Tim)

Today's Topic: Introvert or Extrovert?

nmau6p50o791.jpeg

I saw a post on Connect that showed the sign pictured above. It got me wondering as we enter a holiday season - are you energized by associating with other people, or energized by time alone? Do you look forward to holiday celebrations with other people, or does it fill you with dread? Is your answer different for family gatherings or non-family gatherings?

Replies

• crewahl
    Options
    I’m an introvert by most definitions. The worst thing you can do to me is invite me to a party with a bunch of people I don’t know. Meeting strangers is not something I enjoy. My supply of small talk is whatever level is below finite. My best conversational gambit is the awkward silence. Some people kissed the Blarney Stone; I think it was dropped on my toes.

Give me a good book, and I’m a happy camper.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,951 Member
    Options
    I'm an extrovert, but, now a days prefer family get together.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    I'm an extroverted introvert. I can oftentimes get the motivation to go to a party or other gathering. I do like seeing people, and depending on my comfort level (read, how many drinks I'm in at that point), I can enjoy random conversations. However, that only lasts so long, and I get burnt-out on it very quickly. After an event like that, I need down-time, and I really need to avoid another event too quickly.

This comes up a lot with respect to Shabbat meals. My wife loves to have company. After we have one family over for one meal in one week, I feel like I "deserve" the next week off!
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    According to my Meyers-Briggs personality profile I am ENFP: Extroverted,, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceptive
  • crewahl
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    According to my Meyers-Briggs personality profile I am ENFP: Extroverted,, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceptive

Funny - I’m INTJ. (But then, some of you may have guessed that.) 😊
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,869 Member
    Options
    definitly an introvert here, just leave me alone and I am happy as a clam
  • steve0mania
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    Flintwinch wrote: »

Funny - I’m INTJ. (But then, some of you may have guessed that.) 😊

I'm INTJ, too!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    I am an introvert. But, I have equipped myself with tools that allow me to appear more extroverted for work. I can play a role. However, I require serious downtime each evening.
  • crewahl
    Options
    I'm INTJ, too!

The first time I did Meyers-Briggs, not only was I in the bottom left box of their 4x4 grid as an INTJ, I was in the bottom left corner of the bottom left box. I took it again about twenty years later, and apparently I’d matured. I went all the way to the top right corner of the bottom left box! 😉
  • steve0mania
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    I'm INTJ, too!

The first time I did Meyers-Briggs, not only was I in the bottom left box of their 4x4 grid as an INTJ, I was in the bottom left corner of the bottom left box. I took it again about twenty years later, and apparently I’d matured. I went all the way to the top right corner of the bottom left box! 😉

Ha ha, yeah, I was a "pinned" INTJ too...all the way in the farthest corner! I didn't mature as much as you had, though, because later repeated testing showed that I was still pretty far out there (though not as "pinned" to the corner as the first time!).
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    INFJ-T
    Going to have to read that material. lol
  • crewahl
    Options
    misterhub wrote: »
    INFJ-T
    Going to have to read that material. lol

Greg - I always thought those personality tests were hooey. When I read what the description of what an JBTJ is, however, I started laughing because by the second paragraph I said “if you asked my boss who this person was, he’d say me without question”.

The characteristic? “An INTJ recognizes no authority but their own.” Guilty.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My wife--She Who Must Be Obeyed-- is an INTJ
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    INTJ here too although in some respects not so judgmental of people. Scientist, poet, and ??
    No extrovert here.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I think I am more of an INTP sciencey type on introspection. Torn that way.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

But something I miss about living in Key West. Key West was loaded with people just passing through. Plus my 2 main activities, Pickleball and party boat fishing brought me into contact with a lot of strangers. I started forcing myself to make the first move. It was good for me.