Confused about bodyfat (for women!)

Options
Hi guys, I am 5'2, almost 5'3. Almost a 28 inch waist and weigh 138 pounds. In college I remember weighing 120. I have a LOT of muscle. My scale says my bodyfat is 19.7. I'm confused because this means my abs should stick out slightly but I have a tiny little love handle fat on the sides and some over the abs. (I know they're under there! lol)

How do I make my goal weight when I am already so strong? Should I really weigh 10 pounds more since graduating college 10 years ago?

Replies

• mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are where you are supposed to be. If you have a 28 inch waist then you are okay.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Not sure what you mean that your abs "should stick out slightly." If you're referring to a visible 6-pack...not really, no. The below image is a good REASONABLE estimate, but there are exceptions to every rule. People store their bodyfat in different places and there's no way to control where you lose/keep/gain; that's really up to your parents (read: genetics).

AND that's ASSUMING your scale's reading of 19.7% is even accurate in the first place. Which, unfortunately, it isn't. Scales that supposedly tell you your bf% are notoriously inaccurate. IF you use them under the exact same conditions consistently, they can sometimes show a trend over time, but for the most part, it's a whiz-bang-neat-o feature that really just...isn't. At all.

58xfdrjxefv1.jpg
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with @JBanx256 that the BF feature on scales is useless I never look at it. But interesting bikini BF visual! I go by the fit of my clothes, how I look and what I can do. And yes, you can totally be strong and muscled but still have little muffin-top love handles. Depends on genetics, age and lots of factors.

I am 5'3" and will never weigh 120 again (which I did in college) because of my muscles and that is a Good Thing. Don't be afraid to hit the weights and pudgy weight will melt off!