Transition Week 5

Options
Okay, so I made it through adding back starchy vegetables, fruit, and dairy. I have actually lost 5 pounds since transition started. But week 5 ~ the addition of bread, pasta, and rice ~ daily caloric intake is now 1000-1550.

This one is hard to wrap my mind around as I firmly believe bread and his friends are what did me in. I am trying to adopt a new perspective on my nemesis food group, thinking about all of the wonderful health benefits, but I admit this will be a challenge. It's like taking a former alcoholic to a bar ~ temptation may overcome months of perseverance.

On a positive note, ALL of my numbers on the in-body composition analysis today fell in the NORMAL range (weight, body fat %, and BMI). I didn't think that was possible. When I reflect on how far I have come (from obese to normal in a mere 5 months), it's hard not to trust the Medifast program as I move forward.

Here's to banishing the negative thoughts on bread ~ for good!

Replies

• LogiesMom09
    LogiesMom09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great progress thus far. I'm a few weeks into Maintenance now and totally understand how you feel. In fact, I went through the same thing. I actually put off adding bread for an additional week then finally gave it a try. Now just over a month later, I am happy to say that all is well and eating bread did not bring the old demon back. However, for my sake, just to be safe, I don't partake of bread, pasta, and rice daily. I restrict it to no more than 3 days a week. Just take it slow and listen to you body. Be cognizant of what you eat and keep tracking everything same as before. MFP is a true saving grace that keeps me on point and thus far has helped me keep the weight off and continue to lose a pound or so a week as a healthy cushion.
  • JetWan
    JetWan Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous about transition and you guys give me hope.
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement elainapb. It is comforting to know that what I am feeling is a normal part of the process. It is also encouraging to hear from those who have walked this path before me and have made it through just fine. I agree that MFP will be my closest friend and ally. My sincerest hope is that people like you continue to respond to those Medifasters who have questions, as your guidance is a valuable tool in our weight loss journeys and is greatly appreciated!
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi Jetwan!
    When I was in the weight-loss phase, I tried not to think about transition, just the thought was stressful. What is helping me now that I am halfway through transition is putting my trust in the Medifast plan. As corny as it might sound, Medifast was there like a true friend when I was at my highest point. I have to believe that the steps I take forward are the right steps at the right times.

And when you are there, Medifast will continue to guide you through!

Best wishes as you move forward!
  • JetWan
    JetWan Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mjones. Did you read the Healthy Habits medifast book? I'm wondering if I should order it to make sure that I don't ever put this weight back on again.

I will try really hard not to think about maintenance, but it's tough.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss mjones! I too was nervous about transition. I did transition "by the book" and have been maintaining since April. Don't be afraid of carbs, they didn't "do you in", excess did. Now, I understand triggers, and carbs are mine too. After transition my coach recommended tracking here at MFP and that's exactly what I did. My coach also recommended only have white/bad carbs every other day at most. I thought it would be tough but I've found I only eat "bad" carbs once or twice a week in moderation. Moderation being the key. I'm trying to live the Habbits of Health while not depriving my self of anything.
    I track pretty religiously during the week, not so much on the weekend but still track my weight and body measurements.
    Good luck!
  • mjones6599
    Options
    Thank you _benjamin! You are right! I always blamed breads/carbs for my downfall, but in reality, I did myself in. Overeating...the wrong foods...in excess. I literally feel like I just had the light bulb screwed in!! I have indeed learned the importance of portion sizes and good vs bad carbs, and I don't think that I will ever travel down that road again.

Thank you so much for pointing out what should have been the obvious!!! (There are none so blind as those who can see!)
  • gardengirlkp
    gardengirlkp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Grains (especially wheat) and processed sugars did do me in. For 40 years. I went grain free and mostly processed sugar free post Medifast and I was able put my emotional/binge eating into remission- that took about 1 year or so to work on.

I feel like I'm 27 and not 47. So glad I don't eat bread, pasta, and cookies any more..... gives me the sads thinking about all the years I spent eating them "in moderation". :(

I blog about my transition from weight loss with MF to a no grain, very little processed sugars - after reading the Refuse to Regain book by Barbara Berkeley, MD. (not commercial) at http://gardengirlkp.blogspot.com/

If you look back around Jan 2012-April 2012, you'll see what I did and what I was eating at the time. 19 Months maintaining 70+ pound weigh loss. Good luck to you all.