What's On Your Mind Today?

Options
Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group for help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning hi. You say you can’t exercise because of plantar. Understand you can’t stand but have you tried chair exercise if you’re allowed? Believe me it’s not as easy as it sounds. My friend took me to a class she went to and I thought this will be a dawdle! Couldn’t move for days, without feeling muscles I didn’t know I had.
    Sherry Zak Morris has some on YouTube.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Lessennan Thanks, I'll check that out and see if I'm cleared to do that.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning speaking of chair exercises and Youtube ... there is a very wide variety of intensities, length and areas of focus too ... so maybe you would be cleared for a less energetic one at first (due to other healing) and be allowed into more energetic versions soon enough even before you are eventually cleared for standing /weight-bearing choices.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Important news just discovered on another of my bookmarked discussions ...Bulk Editing of Food Diary .. How To on iOS and android devices!
    From the School of Head Smack:

It’s always driven me crazy that I couldn’t bulk edit my food diary when I changed plans (I sometimes log as far as a week in advance.)

I often put in a meal that has ten or twelve ingredients, or have to change serving size on all. That means I have to delete every entry (swipe left to delete) to correct portions or replace with new meal.

Well today I accidentally discovered how to do it easily and it’s via the honking big EDIT button at the top of the page.

Simply hit the EDIT button (smacks head yet again!)….
    xh49dl99vr4n.jpeg

…..and edit as needed, quickly and efficiently (may add a head bang or two here)
    u9hnooz16sti.png

Duh duh double DUH!

How did I never notice this button before? Familiarity breeds contempt, old dog new tricks etc etc etc.

Hoping this will help some other numpty like moi.

🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.
    Lietchi wrote: »
    NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.

Pencil button, check mark at the top to select the whole day and then tap on the the dots and you'll see 'copy to date' as an option 😉

Please let me (and all of us) know if there is a website counterpart .... I don't use either phone app, and I might not be the only one.
  • Lessennan
    Options
    Starting 2 day trial run before December challenge
  • Lessennan
    Options
    This will be a pass day. No exercise planned nor time for it
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    Wen ppl tag my name in posts these days i am not getting notifications of it.. Do u guys know how to fix this? Xo
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Inspired by @BMcC9 's question in Dec 4, I am going to ask for advice on what is currently derailing me. I've been doing this weight loss thing for a while and I have a wife and a 5 and a 9 year old, who are all not working on losing weight. In normal life, I watch them eat things and I eat different things and I am OK with that. I think their ordinary indulgences are not that tempting to me, because I am used to seeing them and I have tried them and know they are not that good.

However, watching them eat seasonal treats is just killing me! For Thanksgiving, I tried having a pass day for Thanksgiving and then maintenance calories for a week after and am now trying to get back to things. But the Thanksgiving and Hanukkah treats are still in the house, soon to be followed by Christmas treats. And even if I don't eat the treats themselves, then I feel deprived and cranky and it leads to me over indulging in other things instead.

I don't think I can just get this stuff out of the house - I want my kids to be able to enjoy their holiday. So I need to figure out a way to look past it like I do the ordinary treats we have in the house.

Any ideas from other people with kids, or maybe roommates or spouse other family members in your house who eat very differently from you? And the food is always there tempting you?

Thanks!
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    @Caroline_slowandsteady -good question! I am dealing with that now! Had so much junk this weekend because my family was enjoying it and it was sound. But then I wore a shirt that was a little tighter than usual…
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Caroline_slowandsteady - I'm afraid I have probably zero helpful advice. My health and diet has always been about me, with me being the deciding factor in my success or failure. I have never asked anyone else in the family to change anything other than perhaps them respecting any limits of what I personally would or would not do, and that if they missed some "old me" sharing something that they wished I would do again, to simply accept things for how they are now and to not take it personally.

All that said, sometimes I allow myself to celebrate.

I started all this 15 years ago, and it has not been a steady 15 years of constant diet, exercise, tracking, etc. It has been what pretty much all normal people go through, I think, "on" and "off". Periods where I am more focused, and periods where I am less focused (or even not at all interested in health for a while, taking a break, I guess). My goal is to make the "on" periods longer, and for my daily normal life during "off" periods to more closely resemble when I am "on" than they did in years past.

Over these last 15 years I now find when I am "off" that I have daily habits that are closer to "on" than when I started. So there has been a net gain for sure.

So as to your question, what I am saying is that I do allow myself time to celebrate and enjoy those things. BUT not always! I would prefer it be the exception rather than the rule.

I do better when I don't indulge, of course, but I have yet to go more than maybe a couple years even remotely close to "perfect" (trust me, no single year has been perfect, ever, and I am laughing at myself for even suggesting I had a couple perfect years, more like two fairly decent years). Sometimes I enjoy a little celebration in the middle of an "on" period for just one time. Sometimes it's longer, like when I'm not focusing all my energy on diet/health. But overall, such "indulgences" are less/fewer than before all this began. So I consider that a win. It's not the perfect win, but it's acceptable, and infinitely better than if I had never even tried. Hopefully in another 15 years I will be able to look back and say that things continued improving overall in those 15 years like I can for these last 15. So far the trend seems very positive and I am confident I am heading that way.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Inspired by @BMcC9 's question in Dec 4, I am going to ask for advice on what is currently derailing me ...

... But the Thanksgiving and Hanukkah treats are still in the house, soon to be followed by Christmas treats. And even if I don't eat the treats themselves, then I feel deprived and cranky and it leads to me over indulging in other things instead.

I don't think I can just get this stuff out of the house - I want my kids to be able to enjoy their holiday. So I need to figure out a way to look past it like I do the ordinary treats we have in the house.

Any ideas from other people with kids, or maybe roommates or spouse other family members in your house who eat very differently from you? And the food is always there tempting you?

Thanks!

I don't know if this will help but:
    (a) If Thanksgiving is over, can at least the Thanksgiving treats "disappear" (either straight out the door or to the very bottom of the back of the freezer on the way out the door ... until the next time you clean the freezer ;) )
    (b) are the Hanukkah and/or Christmas treats something made at home, or bought / brought in ? (I don't know Hanukkah traditions, and if the specific foods or treats have deeper meaning than just "goes with the Season", like holiday shaped cookie cutters and sugar cookie recipe at my house did. )

If any of the Hanukkah and/or Christmas treats are something made at home ..... then maybe you could concentrate on the "cooking / creating / baking together memories" BUT with a "Let's Experiment" twist. Find out which (only) one is THE "best of the best of the best" for each, and then together search out "new versions" (that you CAN have too!) to try making. Make quarter-batches of multiple variations, and hold taste-test competitions.

If the treats are bought / brought in, could you maybe take the "A Time For Giving Back" approach? Again, get them to each identify THE ONE 'best of the best of the best' to them .... walk them through the store(s) and show them the cost of "the rest" .... discuss and agree on where the money could be donated instead (wherever your family would deem "Best Destination for Outreach") Possibles include: local food bank; local animal shelter; snowsuit fund (if you are in a "cold at Christmas" part of the world) etc etc.

Depending on the $$amount and choice of recipient, it could even be a "Donation divided through the year" thing. Our Animal Shelter asks if a smaller-but-monthly donation can be made for a year instead of a single lump-sum, to help them make sure the animals keep getting what they need all through the year (and helps them budget)